Clam Clips - For the straight pin challenged

Discussions regarding different ways to hold materials together during the construction process tend to come up from time to time. I happen to have some issues with straight pins for some reason, either sticking myself, they fall out, the get stuck in other things (like material....or flesh) or it's just a pain to pin. I have had marginal luck with glues and double sided fabric tape.

One solution I searched the board for but didn't see is the Clam Clip. It has become my secret weapon in the war against unruly and misbehaved fabric.

It consists of a dispenser and a small metal clip similar to the ubiquitous black binder clip.
    The dispenser(#1) has a mouth (#2), a 8 clip magazine and a magazine feed at the end (#3).

To use you simply insert your material into the mouth and slide the trigger forward which opens a clip and pushes it out of the mouth clipping your material (#4-7)

Side view of a clip on a simple hem.(#8)

As far as holding power goes it is suspending 5 CAMP carbiners (#9) so it does stay in place even when flipping fabric around and folding but will easily slide off when sewing and the slim profile keeps it from grabbing things around it.

As I said, from a design point of view it works the same as the binder clip just a slimmer profile and slightly stronger bite ( an equivalent mini-binder only held 3 CAMP carbiners)

Just another option....

You should be able to find them at your finer office supply stores or online.

Link goes to Office Depot. http://cdn.www.officedepot.com/a/pro...penser-Medium/
    Different dispenser but the concept is the same....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post

One solution I searched the board for but didn't see is the Clam Clip. It has become my secret weapon in the war against unruly and misbehaved fabric.

Now THAT is pretty cool. Most of the time I just dont pin at all. I normally have pretty good luck with it. The only time I MUST pin is when I am sewing bug netting to ripstop nylon. I have to pin it so they do not stretch at different rates and end up one longer than the other. Those clips are fairly cheap and I just might take a look at them. Another problem I have is that when I pin it seems like one is always getting away from me and since my sewing room is the kitchen table, I am worried that my 3 or 1 year old will find my missing pins

Stormcrow

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I am worried that my 3 or 1 year old will find my missing pins

Stormcrow
    My bare feet have shown an absolutely amazing ability to not only find pins but secure them in my nice soft flesh.

I'll eyeball a simple hem (poorly) but when it comes to rolled hems on silnylon or this bugnet (speak of the devil) over long stretches it would just get away from me. I lack patience and Ramblinrev's Jedi sewing skills.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I lack patience and Ramblinrev's Jedi sewing skills.
    The force is strong in that one.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Ramblinrev's Jedi sewing skills.
    It seems no one has wondered why all my examples on the vids are less than 12" long. That's the farthest I can go without messing something up. "those who can't ... teach."
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Are these clamps easy to remove while sewing if necessary? How do you remove them?
    Noel V.

Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Are these clamps easy to remove while sewing if necessary? How do you remove them?
    I've used them on sil, regular ripstop and noseeum and they slide off when you pull, as long as your pull is greater the 5 carbiners.

For long runs I have been clipping about 12-18 inches apart and when I see it near the foot I reach up and slide it off.

If your seam is wide enough then you can run them through the machine. I've got to finish Bugnet 1.0 today. I'll take more pics of them in action.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Thanks Balthazar! I'm definitely a sewing impaired person that needs all the help possible.
    Noel V.

Pics from the bugnet festivities. I haven't even finished this one and I'm already planning the second.

#1 - attaching 3/4" Velcro to noseeum
    #2 - heading toward the foot
    #3 - saved it at the last minute
    #4 - sewing a 1.5" cord loop at one end of the bugnet. I could have ran the clip through without problems

Hope that helps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    That's pretty slick. Looks like maybe you could get these on without the fabric wanting to slide around on you. I could see where that would be especially good for thick stuff like webbing or Velcro where you wind up bending pins. Cheap enough, might have to give it a try.

• + New Posts