Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    To each his own...I guess. For me the so-called "loud colors" look more like graffiti in the forest. The last thing I would call muted earth tones are depressing...but that's just me.
    Yeah, I prefer more muted tones myself. I was just pointing out another point of view that is not motivated by commerce.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    It's thier version of advertising. Everyone can spot a MRS tent or a thermarest just from glancing at it. On a local note, most anyone on this site can spot a JRB quilt from a mile away.
    Nest congrats on finishing your hike.

While JRB has been partial to green almost all models have been converted to the muted olive drab for the last 4-6 months... All in all, it is nice that most folks recognize the JRB quilts...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Ed Speer advocates using loud colors in his book. His reason is that if you find yourself confined to your hammock/tarp for an extended period due to rain, the bright colors are cheerful, and the muted tones are depressing. He's speaking from experience. It's a personal choice, but I can see his point.

Canoe camping "guru" Cliff Jacobson advocates bright colors for the same reasons...bright colors are supposedly more "cheerful" when you are forced to spend more time under shelter. Bright colors are also advocated for safety reasons. A lost hiker or paddler with brightly colored equipment may have a better chance of being spotted by rescue personnel, if rescue is needed.

I agree, it's a personal choice.

IMO, if someone needs bright colors to keep themselves cheerful on a rainy day, they may have bigger personal issues (maybe a form of mild depression) to deal with. (not judging anyone here...just making an observation) As far as the safety issue, IMO every person travelling in the "backcountry" should have proper safety training and equipment for unexpected emergencies. A smoky fire can be just as effective an emergency distress signal as a bright colored tarp. A dedicated safety orange "signal panel" can be sewn to the inside of a pack's rain cover to perform the same purpose. The sighting mirror on a compass can be used for signalling. (so on and so forth)

If folks want to use brightly colored gear...hey, knock yourself out! I prefer to blend in with the natural environment. If an emergency comes up, I've got the proper training/skills and seperate equipment to deal with that if it comes up. I don't personally get depressed on rainy days...I have always found rainy days to be relaxing...I use them as opportunities to putter around camp working on projects, uninterrupted times to read books, and most importantly a chance to fill my water bottles with fresh clean water, and to get a nice, free bath!

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    I can see the point of having some bright colored things with you for rescue concerns. That is why I carry a few "orange dayglow" bandanas and an "orange" heatsheet survival blanket. But they aren't coming out unless it is an emergency situation (along with my signal mirror & whistle).

As far as being depressed in muted colors (I don't buy it)... if I'm stuck in a shelter for some time that's what a book, a nap & an iPod are for...

While I can see the link of camo to military or paramilitary mindsets... so what... so do hiking thru the woods, eating freeze dried food, & not bathing for days...
    KJ

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7 Dbl & ENO Dbl.
    Tarp
    GoLite Cave 2
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Rings n' Straps
    Kankujoe - I belive in some bright stuff. I have a orange safety whistle attached to my yellow compass lanyard/string/necklace thing. Not so others can see me; but, so I am less apt to loose it in forest duff, or elsewhere on the ground.

I use a few different colored strings on some important stuff - Knifes, compasses, etc.. it can be much easier to reach in a bag and pull on a string instead of fishing for that swiss army classic it is attached to.

As far as the tent/tarp color discussion goes. If, I'm going to be hunkered down in a storm.. white is my color of choice. Seems to keep the interior nice and bright. Besides the psychological effect of color on tents.. there is a practical reason too. Often 4 season mountaineering tents/gear is yellow, red, or orange so you can find your camp in a blizzard/near whiteout.

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    As far as the tent/tarp color discussion goes. If, I'm going to be hunkered down in a storm.. white is my color of choice. Seems to keep the interior nice and bright. Besides the psychological effect of color on tents.. there is a practical reason too. Often 4 season mountaineering tents/gear is yellow, red, or orange so you can find your camp in a blizzard/near whiteout.
    So... are you carrying a "white" or "bright" colored rig along with you just in case a storm or blizzard pops up?
    KJ

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    I camp in canvas tents during deer season. I have two...one white, one a light green. The difference inside the tents is huge.

The white tent has bright, airy, feel to it, while the green tent is dark and somewhat dungeon-like.

I'm not trying to make direct comparisons between canvas tents and nylon tarps, only make the point that color does make a difference...it is mood altering.

I haven't bought a winter tarp yet, but when I do, it will be a light color.
    Dave

http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Nest congrats on finishing your hike.

While JRB has been partial to green almost all models have been converted to the muted olive drab for the last 4-6 months... All in all, it is nice that most folks recognize the JRB quilts...

Pan
    Thanks, and they do. My top quilt is black on one side, and "JRB green" on the other. I made it myself out of synthetic, but just by coincidence it is the exact same green y'all use. I've had a few people ask me if it is one of your quilts.

I've been out of the loop, so thanks for telling me about your new colors.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    i am looking at having paul make me a tarp that is hi-viz orange. I bought my hammock not only for hiking, but to allow me to have more options while hunting. the last thing I want is a bullet zinging through my netting if I happen to sleep late.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings