Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Webbing Stretch

  1. #21
    Senior Member chezrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Easley, SC
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Posts
    135
    Images
    22
    OK, I understand the stretch issue with Nylon. What is the pros/cons of Polyester and Polypropylene?

  2. #22
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,596
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I never paid any attention to doing that. I just strapped one side to a tree and strapped the other side to a tree. Never looked to see if it was centered. Mostly I made sure it was under the tarp
    yep, it's best if the hammock is fairly close to being centered between the trees.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by chezrad View Post
    OK, I understand the stretch issue with Nylon. What is the pros/cons of Polyester and Polypropylene?
    I'm using Polypropylene, and it stretches like Willy Coyote on a base jump.

  4. #24
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Strapworks has polyester webbing. Anyone tried that?
    http://www.strapworks.com/Polyester_Webbing_p/pew1.htm
    That's what I use, and it works great. It hasn't stretched at all. The surface is a little more slippery than polypro, but only until it gets scuffed by using it a couple of times. I'm very satisfied with it.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    That's what I use, and it works great. It hasn't stretched at all. The surface is a little more slippery than polypro, but only until it gets scuffed by using it a couple of times. I'm very satisfied with it.
    How thick is it compared to polypro?

  6. #26
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    How thick is it compared to polypro?
    I've used 1" wide straps of both, and the polyester is about 1/32" thicker than the polypro that I have. Hardly noticeable, IMO.

  7. #27
    Senior Member gumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hubbardston, MA
    Hammock
    Traveler Mosquito
    Tarp
    Neo Tarp
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by chezrad View Post
    OK, I understand the stretch issue with Nylon. What is the pros/cons of Polyester and Polypropylene?
    I learned the hard way. I bought this http://www.rei.com/product/603006

    From REI, it was 1 inch nylon webbing, hooked my $19 Byer hammock to it, stretched it pretty good the second try because it sagged the first time. I sat down and was shot out of it like a rocket. It stretchs and then returns for the next round. Good thing my neighbors weren't home, they'd still be laughing. You could probably launch rocks out of the county using it as a slingshot.

    Lately for testing purposes I have been using that yellow floating polypro rope that is used for water skiing and typing up boats. It does not stretch, I made tree huggers from the webbing and now the stretch is just about right.

    Eventually I'll get some "Proper" webbing for my tie offs.

    Later, Gumby

    BTW if you go to http://www.strapworks.com They have a chart about webbing that compares their characteristics. Thanks angrysparrow for the link.
    Last edited by gumby; 04-27-2007 at 13:25.

  8. #28
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    BTW if you go to http://www.strapworks.com They have a chart about webbing that compares their characteristics. Thanks angrysparrow for the link.
    Link directly to the chart:

    http://www.strapworks.com/Articles.asp?ID=144

  9. #29
    New Member Miu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lytle, Tx
    Posts
    13
    Images
    3
    Has anyone tried using the polypro webbing from Hobby Lobby? I was thinking about making the ring buckle suspension for my HH and it would be much easier to pick some webbing up from Hobby Lobby than order it offline...I may buy some and test it. Plus it comes in pretty colors such as hot pink, lime green and shades of blue Hmmm...

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Miu View Post
    Has anyone tried using the polypro webbing from Hobby Lobby? I was thinking about making the ring buckle suspension for my HH and it would be much easier to pick some webbing up from Hobby Lobby than order it offline...I may buy some and test it. Plus it comes in pretty colors such as hot pink, lime green and shades of blue Hmmm...
    I would be hesitent on using anything that did not give a rating. I have ended up on the ground a few times from me over estimating things. That and I like to hang from places I don't really want to fall from.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •