Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any hangers around Jefferson City MO?

Hi,
    Just got my Skeeter Beeter in and am going to spen my first night in it tonight. In the basement! Tomorrow night, the back yard! I'm getting ready to take it on Katy Trail ride this weekend. Planning to do the whole 226 miles. Anyway, are there any other hangers in central MO near Jeff City? I'd love to get together with some hammock veterans to get tips, ideas, etc. I appreciate all the info from the forums, but sometimes nothing beats seeing it in person!

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    Hey Mid

I live in Canada but have had to visit Jeff City on occassion for work. Perhaps the next time I am there we can "hang out". A couple guys from the factory there were going to take me on some trail in the hills but never got around to it.

Happy hanging!
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    I'm in St Louis and I love riding the Katy. I've got relatives coming in this weekend or I'd come join you. I don't know if I'm a veteran but I do have a fair number of nights in both gathered end hammocks and bridge hammock. Perhaps we can ride and hang together sometime soon.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    I live in Independence MO and on occasion I get on the Katy. I love that trail.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    How far is that from Indianapolis?
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Indianapolis is about 250-ish from St. Charles and 480 from Clinton, the other end of the trail. You could drive to St. Charles then ride to Warrensburg, MO on the Katy and ride Amtrak back to Kirkwood, MO. You'd either have to ride City Streets to the trailhead or get a shuttle though. It's about 15 miles from Kirkwood to St. Charles.
    I'll probably end up with a brown polytarp for this trip, but definitely want to get a little more high-tech with it.
    i spent my first night in the hammock last night and didn't get much sleep. Cold spots are a definite reality and that danged foam pad is kinda sticky to keep the sleeping bag from moving too much. Problem is it keeps you from pulling that wadded up bunch of poncho liner out of your hiney! I definitely load-tested the skeeter beeter by flopping around all night trying to keep warm and get comfortable!

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    I live about 30-40 miles northwest of Clinton. I've done most if not all of the Katy Trail in sections over the past 15-20 years. Usually picking a trailhead and riding in one direction 20-40 miles & then riding back to were I started.

A buddy & I will be riding the entire length of the Katy Trail this fall. We plan on doing half of it one weekend & then the other half another weekend. Probably stealth camp unless our distances dovetail with the few campsites on the trail.

This will be our first time using hammocks on the Katy. We've been tent or pop up camping doing sections each October for the past 10 years or so. Usually just two of us but we've had as many as 10 guys. It has always been on one of the weekends in October in conjunction with the Oktoberfest in Hermann. We've camped most years in Bluffton (which is about 15 miles from Hermann) but have camped a few other places.

I'd love to bike the Katy westbound (get transported from Clinton to Kansas City) & then kayak eastbound on the Missouri back to St Louis... maybe some day.
    Last edited by Kankujoe; 09-02-2009 at 00:38.
    KJ

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    There's four of us hangers down by West Plains. We all got zipper-modded Hennessy's, MacCats, some have JRB stuff, but I'm the only true hanger, since I have Warbonnet. There's only about 7 in my area that even backpack regularly, that I know of. Don't know if that helps you, other than knowing you're not alone in the state.

Good luck on the Katy, I've always wanted to try that.

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    but I'm the only true hanger, since I have Warbonnet.

First time I've heard that

I guess the rest of us are just wannabe's?
    KJ

Hammock
    HH Exped, Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    JRB The Nest
    Suspension
    mish mash
    I'm in St. Louis too. Been a while since I've had my fat a$$ up on a bike seat so goin to have to pass on that one. Doing some kind of a trip the weekend of the 12th not sure if its floating or hiking or even car camping but I know I'm going somewhere. All my buddies are hangers too although not as sophisticated. 2 of them have the old style army surplus jungle hammocks...which they love. 1 has a Lawson Blue Ridge camping hammock...he can't understand why no one at Hammock Forums seems to have one. He was the one that turned me on to hanging in trees.
    Anyway, once we get a destination planned I'll post it in case anyone is interested in meeting up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast