Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Kerflop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    296
    Images
    1
    I am in KC but not yet a "hanger"... My Hammock just arrived this week and if the weather holds out this weekend I will test it out. Now, to learn how to hang this sucker...

  2. #12
    New Member mcnurlenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ft Polk, LA
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY 7x7
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    47
    Im just south of Ft Leonard Wood, on the north edge of Paddy Creek. Got to love living this close to the forest.

  3. #13
    Member lar-i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Eastern Missouri
    Hammock
    HH Exped, Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    JRB The Nest
    Suspension
    mish mash
    Posts
    53
    I've hiked Big Piney trail several times by myself and with friends. Kinda neat when the A-10's fly over at tree top level. I generally hike in from Roby Lake and if I see horses on trail I/we usually will bushwhack off trail and camp around a water source. Not really wilderness because of the small size the Paddy Creek wilderness area and on a cold clear night you can still hear the trucks winding through their gears or a barking dog from one of the farms that border it but heck its out doors, in the woods and far far away from work.
    Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.
    Winston Churchill

  4. #14
    BurningCedar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    MacCat or SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    523
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnurlenj View Post
    Im just south of Ft Leonard Wood, on the north edge of Paddy Creek. Got to love living this close to the forest.
    Ahh......Piney Creek! That's where I'm going this weekend IF I can get out of the family photo (not likely I'll be able to accomplish that). A little crowded but still one of my favorite spots in the Missouri Ozarks.
    David

    The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

  5. #15
    Senior Member Lorethian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Independence, MO
    Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerflop View Post
    I am in KC but not yet a "hanger"... My Hammock just arrived this week and if the weather holds out this weekend I will test it out. Now, to learn how to hang this sucker...
    I live in Independence and if I can help in any way let me know. I hang about once a month.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Coldspring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ozarks
    Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Posts
    545
    Images
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    First time I've heard that

    I guess the rest of us are just wannabe's?
    Forgot my little I ain't a real hanger anyway...you gotta have both a Warbonnet and a Clark, and and I don't have a JRB quilt either.

  7. #17
    Kerflop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    296
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorethian View Post
    I live in Independence and if I can help in any way let me know. I hang about once a month.
    We might take this off-line, but where do you hang? My son and I (just bought Travel Hammock UL for the both of us) are heading out to Cedar Creek trailway in the morning. Looking forward to my first hang. Went out and bought webbing and rings to hand the hammock with and a tarp and ropes for the shelter. Man, I am excited.

  8. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mid Missouri
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for all the replies. My Katy Trail trip got cut short and I'll have to pick it up another weekend. I started riding around 8:45 or so friday morning in Clinton. About 20 minutes into the ride it started raining. Hard. It poured hard for the first 8 miles. The weather kept saying all week that it would be "spotty thundershowers" friday and saturday. After 8 miles the rain slowed from a downpour to a nice steady rain the rest of the way to Sedalia. 40 miles in the rain! The trail was so soggy that my tires sank into it and it and made it a lot harder to pedal. The first leg of the trail is somewhat uphill anyway, and with the soft soggy trail, it was even worse! I called my wife from Sedalia to come pick me up, in the rain. I and all my stuff were covered in a wet gritty paste from the chat on the trail, so I just kept refilling my water bottles and hosing everything off with them so I could put everything in the car. I was really disappointed to have to cut the trip short without even getting to sleep in my hammock, but I'd had all the rain I could take. The weather was moving west to east and would have followed me all the way to St. Charles. Dang the luck! Ah well, I'll try it again someday. At least my homemade panniers held up well!

  9. #19
    Senior Member Kankujoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by midmorog View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. My Katy Trail trip got cut short and I'll have to pick it up another weekend. I started riding around 8:45 or so friday morning in Clinton. About 20 minutes into the ride it started raining. Hard. It poured hard for the first 8 miles. The weather kept saying all week that it would be "spotty thundershowers" friday and saturday. After 8 miles the rain slowed from a downpour to a nice steady rain the rest of the way to Sedalia. 40 miles in the rain! The trail was so soggy that my tires sank into it and it and made it a lot harder to pedal. The first leg of the trail is somewhat uphill anyway, and with the soft soggy trail, it was even worse! I called my wife from Sedalia to come pick me up, in the rain. I and all my stuff were covered in a wet gritty paste from the chat on the trail, so I just kept refilling my water bottles and hosing everything off with them so I could put everything in the car. I was really disappointed to have to cut the trip short without even getting to sleep in my hammock, but I'd had all the rain I could take. The weather was moving west to east and would have followed me all the way to St. Charles. Dang the luck! Ah well, I'll try it again someday. At least my homemade panniers held up well!
    Sorry to hear about your wet/gritty ride... it can be quite unpleasant with a driving rain & a spongy trail surface. It is probably best that you stopped because you would likely have ruined a chain & a few chain rings, maybe your rear cassette & derailier from the "wet sanding" of the flying grit.

    Hopefully you'll get back in the saddle soon.
    KJ

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •