Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here !

New Here !

Just picked up a Hennessy Expedition Asym Hammock yesterday. I tested it out tonight and it seems comfy. I am 6'1" so I felt a tad snug, but not bad. I can not wait to use it out on the trail.

Now I am looking for a good pad setup to accompany my Sierra Designs Arrow Rock 15 degree down bag . I have a Therm-A-Rest Prolite4 that I use with my tent, but I know they are not ideal for hammocks.

Any suggestions for a pad? I am not ready to get a under quilt yet and the temps here in AL do not get too freezing.
    Take a Look >> Videos Trip Reports

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 9civichatch3 View Post
    Just picked up a Hennessy Expedition Asym Hammock yesterday. I tested it out tonight and it seems comfy. I am 6'1" so I felt a tad snug, but not bad. I can not wait to use it out on the trail.

Now I am looking for a good pad setup to accompany my Sierra Designs Arrow Rock 15 degree down bag . I have a Therm-A-Rest Prolite4 that I use with my tent, but I know they are not ideal for hammocks.

Any suggestions for a pad? I am not ready to get a under quilt yet and the temps here in AL do not get too freezing.
    This was my first pad setup for my HH. The sectional aspects allows you to take what you want depending on weather, and also provide some multi-use for it. The lower section was cut to fit in my Thermarest lounger chair. My wife made Camo slipcovers for the sections and then we velcroed them together.

2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    welcome!
    2Q has a great suggestion...
    IF your not the sewing type, try some ccf from speer...light and very warm
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Welcome 9civichatch3!

I am in Texas and we do not see freezing all that often in my area either, however I have found the need for bottom insulation just about anytime we drop below 70. Even a nice 65 degree night can be chilly in the hammock.

I have used pads and underquilts and have had varied success depending on the set up. My personal preference waffles back and forth between an Exped down air mattress and a JRB underquilt.

The underquilt is light and packs well and is simpler to use in a bottom entry hammock than pads - the DAM is heavier, and bulkier but gives me a comfortable option should I be forced to go to the ground.

If I were just starting out today, I would give that Prolite 4 a try in the hammock before I spent much money on anything else. If you like the pad idea, you could also supplement it with closed cell pads like 2Questions described. A simple inexpensive option would be a Wal-Mart blue cc pad in combination with your thermarest.

The bottom line is to try different things and see what works best for you.

The Speer SleepPad look pretty good. I will probably try out my Prolite4 first. If that doesn't workout for me then I will explore new pads/quilts.

Thanks

Quick question:

How you you store your hammock for the off season? Is it OK just to leave it in the snake skins stuffed in the bag?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 9civichatch3 View Post
    Quick question:

How you you store your hammock for the off season? Is it OK just to leave it in the snake skins stuffed in the bag?
    As long as it is not damp you are OK ..... I have no off-season. I would air it out a day or so and stuff it in the bag and dream of your next trip!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

haha, I got ya.

A guy I talked to today says he only uses his 20 degree bag and a fleece blanket here in AL. I may try it out, but take the prolite4 also..JIC!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    "Freezing" is a relative perception. My friend, a Florida native, doesn't stop shivering till it gets up to over 75, I don't stop sweating till below 70.

But the pad suggestions above (well, similar) has gotten me down to at least 14, and is much cheaper than a Under Quilt. I don't find it as comfortable as a hammock with an UQ, but it will do the trick and is still better than sleeping on the ground.

I have also made, (& still carry from time to time) a UQ from a fleece blanket by poking a hole in each corner & suspending it with some elastic cords under my hammock. If you foresee temps lower than your experience says you can stand, add a fleece UQ to your kit. I got mine from Big Lots, it's 3' X 5' & weighs about 18 OZ. I think it cost me $7.00.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Thanks a lot !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast