Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    Good thoughts, BillyBob...

My thought was that the clamminess was from my perspiration, with the leaf bag acting as a vapor barrier since that's the part that's held closest to my backside by the silnylon taco. The space blanket in this setup is actually folded a couple of times, after pre-crinkling,to fit inside the (clear) leaf bag.
    Right, and that's how I used it in my trials. Only difference being that I had an OCF pad AND an additional space blanket on top of the GIs. So I had full length and width space blanket/vapor barrior that was more or less curved around my whole body and close against me, keeping it warm. And theoretically keeping body moisture out of the under cover, maybe.

I'm not really sure if that would make that much difference from what you are doing, since the VBs(leaf bags) apparently are still tight up against you and should be kept warm. I'm just grasping at straws trying to figure out why the clamminess when I don't really have that trouble in the SS, though a few folks do.

I hope I have time this winter to test this set up using the Climashield. That just has to have some great potential, I think. A sealed bag to resist compression from the HHSS's elastic tension, with from 4 to 12 oz of insulation giving from 1 to 3 " of synthetic loft. If it will mold well to the shape of my body, that has just got to be way warm. I'll have to make myself test it though, as I am prone these days to just use the MWUQ4 or PeaPod. But, this same set up has great potential inside the Pea Pod.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    [quote=BillyBob58;158251]Right, and that's how I used it in my trials. Only difference being that I had an OCF pad AND an additional space blanket on top of the GIs. So I had full length and width space blanket/vapor barrior that was more or less curved around my whole body and close against me, keeping it warm. And theoretically keeping body moisture out of the under cover, maybe.[/lquote]

Ah... I didn't catch that you were using a second space blanket. Sounds like a pretty effective setup.

I'm not really sure if that would make that much difference from what you are doing, since the VBs(leaf bags) apparently are still tight up against you and should be kept warm.
    Yeah, I guess I'm trying to do what you just described. You put it into words more clearly than I was thinking about it.

I'm just grasping at straws trying to figure out why the clamminess when I don't really have that trouble in the SS, though a few folks do.
    It may well just be a perception issue on my part. Then again, I might just sweat like a pig... I dunno. I am a bit sensitive to cold, in general, and when I move around with this kind of setup, the air movement tends to evaporate moisture from my skin and I instantly sense both the coolness and the humidity. Probably faulty genetics on my part.

I hope I have time this winter to test this set up using the Climashield. That just has to have some great potential, I think. A sealed bag to resist compression from the HHSS's elastic tension, with from 4 to 12 oz of insulation giving from 1 to 3 " of synthetic loft. If it will mold well to the shape of my body, that has just got to be way warm. I'll have to make myself test it though, as I am prone these days to just use the MWUQ4 or PeaPod. But, this same set up has great potential inside the Pea Pod.
    You are miles ahead of me in this, so I hope to learn from your experience. I'm just easing into it step by step, from summer to autumn to winter temps.

The beat goes on...
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Well, curiosity got the better of me. Found an old pillow that should have been discarded long ago so I gutted it for the polyester batting inside. Pillows are packed pretty densely, obviously, so I pulled the batting apart in small clumps, placing the clumps into a clear leaf bag, kind of like R.G.'s 'bag-o-feathers' (scroll about halfway down the page) but smaller.

Last night's low temp was in the high 50s, so it really wasn't needed but I tried it in the taco, under my torso. The space blanket insulator was positioned under my legs. Spent another comfy night with this setup. The clammy feeling was less noticeable for some reason, but I don't think the different insulator choice had anything to do with it. My feet get the same feeling any time I sleep with socks on. Who knows!

Tonight should be interesting with the taco and my 5' x 10' tarp - lows will be in the low 60s, but there's a 70% chance of rain / thunderstorm with winds at 10 to 15 mph. Guess I need to put on the Grizz beak and see how the taco serves as a weather shield.

Tomorrow night will approach 40* lows, and R.G. had reported his taco + S.B. insulator was good down to 40*, so tomorrow should be a good test.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Just a quick final comment on my recent hanging experience. I had two more overnight hangs, Saturday and Sunday night, and the temps dropped to about 48.5*F both nights. On both nights I used both insulators, one at each end. Saturday night I had the polyester batting filled bag under my torso, and the SB filled one under my legs. Sunday night I reversed the two. Both configurations worked well at the temps I encountered. I am encouraged to follow up with more testing with a SB only configuration, since it obviously can compress much more for packing than the polyester batting version. I'll test it here in FL as weather provides opportunity, but will test more at year's end on my next trip to VA. ..._._
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Images
    Just a quick final comment on my recent hanging experience. I had two more overnight hangs, Saturday and Sunday night, and the temps dropped to about 48.5*F both nights. On both nights I used both insulators, one at each end. Saturday night I had the polyester batting filled bag under my torso, and the SB filled one under my legs. Sunday night I reversed the two. Both configurations worked well at the temps I encountered. I am encouraged to follow up with more testing with a SB only configuration, since it obviously can compress much more for packing than the polyester batting version. I'll test it here in FL as weather provides opportunity, but will test more at year's end on my next trip to VA. ..._._
    Good info. So, it sounds like you are getting at least 20-25*F worth of warmth from just a trash bag plus space blanket held in an UC. Not bad at all, IMO. Plus, I think the probabilities are that the polyester would prove even warmer, once you have the temps to test. But time will tell!

The above 20 plus degree boost sounds like a fine, light, cheap, low bulk helper for the already pretty warm HHSS.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Good info. So, it sounds like you are getting at least 20-25*F worth of warmth from just a trash bag plus space blanket held in an UC. Not bad at all, IMO.
    Yeah, I was originally skeptical about the setup but it worked (to me) surprisingly well.

Plus, I think the probabilities are that the polyester would prove even warmer, once you have the temps to test. But time will tell!
    I left the polyester filled bag back in VA and will definitely give it a go on the next trip. Plus, I'll do some more 'taffy pulling' of the batting to make the bits more fluffy.

The above 20 plus degree boost sounds like a fine, light, cheap, low bulk helper for the already pretty warm HHSS.
    I'm liking it. BTW, I'll post any follow-up testing on this under a new forum / thread since my input has really had nothing to do with pads.

Side note, I'm thinking the silnylon UC/taco could be doubled over to serve as a reasonably decent rain cover for my Molly Mac Pack!

Cheers!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Just a quick final comment
    I lied.

I'll test it here in FL as weather provides opportunity, ...
    Opportunity knocked. Got down to 48.5*F here last night. Used UC with a single SB-stuffed leaf bag under my torso, and the same top quilt as earlier

Slept well with the usual night time breaks. My back was a bit cool, but I was still able to sleep. I'm thinking 50*F is a good target low temp for me with this setup.

Side note - still had the clamminess in the morning; felt under the hammock and noted a small amount of condensation had formed between the leaf bag and the hammock. I guess I must sweat a bit more than most, or else I have the UC pulled too tight against the hammock.

Also noted that I'm treading an old path that was well traveled back in 2003-04, with nothing really new* added (except to me) so I'll give this topic a rest. Now I appreciate the genesis of the SS. Many thanks to those who blazed and documented this trail.

* well, just one thing new -- you can stuff a leaf bag with leftover wrappers from the Publix / Walmart house brand "frosted toaster pastries" (Pop-Tarts) in place of a space blanket.

..._._
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I'm thinking 50*F is a good target low temp for me with this setup.
    That's about what I decided with my Thermadrape KAQ. At 45*F I needed real insulation.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    I've enjoyed reading about the G.I again. I played around with this stuff about 5 years a little. I'm sure there's room for innovation. Anyone else made up Garlington's bag-o-feathers?

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    I've enjoyed reading about the G.I again. I played around with this stuff about 5 years a little. I'm sure there's room for innovation. Anyone else made up Garlington's bag-o-feathers?
    Not yet, but I'm flirting with the idea. I've been researching the old posts on the different forums, but have yet to see why it didn't catch on.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast