Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    In the place of staking tie outs the Bridge hammock requires the insertion of spreader bars. IMHO pretty much a wash. I have used both DIY Bridge and the HH. I chose the HH as my permanent hammock because the HH fits my _needs_ better. Not because of any complexity in terms of set up. I do not find Pan's statement overly bold, but quite accurate. The _simplest_ hammock to hang in terms of steps would be a speer/HAAB type where you set the suspension and be done with it. But in all honesty the added steps of spreader bars or tie outs is no hardship in my opinion.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    What would happen if the ends of a gathered end hammock were cut in an arc, instead of square? Would the edges take up some of the load, and allow the center "ridge" to relax a bit? Surely this has been tried...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    What would happen if the ends of a gathered end hammock were cut in an arc, instead of square? Would the edges take up some of the load, and allow the center "ridge" to relax a bit? Surely this has been tried...
    You can accomplish pretty much the same thing by pulling the corners of the fabric out some before whipping the end. It does reduce the middle ridge, but the tautness that it creates on thes edges reduce the possible asym angle.

I suspect that there could be a sweet spot for an individual that wanted to try this, but it might take a lot of trial and error. I personally think hammocks are most comfortable when the sides aren't too taut.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Note that I am new to this and not a native English speaker, so the terminology you use is at times a bit over my head.
    I have already decided that I should stick with as simple a solution as possible. In part because I am new to this, but in general I prefer simple solutions because they are more flexible, have fewer parts to break and when they do they're easier to repair with the material at hand in the forest or in a country like Suriname.
    So I'll first give the corner-approach a try - just haven't found the time for it (quite busy with the preparations). If that doesn't work I'll just use a standard hammock with the side tie-outs that Happy Camper suggested. Whether I will use them or not is then optional, depending on the situation and my experience. With the corner-approach, however, they're not an option, so that gives less flexibility.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12