Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.

Newbie Hangin' ?'s

Where do I start?!?!

OK, here's what I have...

HH Desert Rat (cuz it was on sale) with the extra large sil-nylon fly (the one that comes with it was much smaller). The standard straps and ropes that come with...

I have learned to tie the HH fig. 8 knots, not a problem.

1. How do I hang/attach to the tree the fly? What type/style knot/lashing should I be using? Is it supposed to attach to the hammock?

2. Whats the deal with these "slap straps" or this 'biner set up? Easier? How much more weight? How difficult to reconfigure/sew/tie one of those setups?

I want to make a semi-permanent setup for home. I want to sink and set to wood poles in the back yard.

3. If I use regular poles from Lowes, they are smooth, not like bark on a tree... Will the straps stay there?

4. Anything else useful I need to know?

1. tie a line to the tarp however you want (I can't remember what the point of the HH tarp looks like) if its a D ring just tie a bowline through the D; attach the line to the tree with a round turn and two half hitches where the last hitch is slipped

2. beats me

3. probably yes but if it slips then just do a round turn with the strap before tieing on the hammock

4. yes

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    1. The stock HH tarp normally attaches to some little hooks on the support line. Your larger tarp may be different, but you can always tie it to the same trees you attach your hammock.

2. Biners are a little easier for attachment but they are normally used with webbing instead of the stock HH Spectra support line. IMHO, switching from the stock HH Spectra to some sort of webbing (I recommend polyester webbing) is your best bet and it's an easy mod. There are several threads on making the switch to webbing with a HH. Just do a search.

Ring buckle supports are the best way to hang the hammock I feel.

If you do switch to webbing you don't need all those fancy biners and buckles. Just use the 4 wrap knot.

I've never used Slap Straps, but I don't think they aork well with a HH.

3. A hammock will not slip when using smooth 4x4's. I use them in my back yard.

4. Plenty. Start reading up on the different types of pads and under quilts for bottom insulation and keeping warm in the winter.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Ive been reading the ring buckle thread... man thats a long one... and still not finished it yet! I like the idea. Not having my HH in front of me to look at, I am concerned about removing the cording and then reattaching the webbing...

While I wasnt looking at a 4 x 4, but instead a round "fence post" maybe that would be better...

Not going to get into the "winter" or cold weather gear yet. I have to get familiar with what Ive got first!

Actualllyyyyy

Anyone here who can do these conversions going to TDz? (to the ring buckles that is...)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post
    Ive been reading the ring buckle thread... man thats a long one... and still not finished it yet! I like the idea. Not having my HH in front of me to look at, I am concerned about removing the cording and then reattaching the webbing...
    There is a post by 'GrizzlyAdams', with pics, near the end of the ring buckle discussion that should clearly show how to remove the Spectra rope from a HH and replace it with another line to the rings. Also, if you use SnakeSkins, remember to put those on before tying off the knots for the buckles. Combine that with JustJeff's ring buckls directions and it should be pretty clear.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 05-17-2007 at 13:20. Reason: edited to fix link

Images
    If you are using the lark's head the rings are easy to remove.

Thanks Sparrow! Ive been reading, but havent got that far obviously! Its not to intimidating now that I see it in photos. I cant just wing it with words, I need the pictures!!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    If you are using the lark's head the rings are easy to remove.
    No, it's not hard to remove the rings, but I thought if I mentioned it that it wouldn't have to be done at all. Plus, I agree with GrizzlyAdam's post in that thread that the prussik holds the rings better than a lark's head for that size of line.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post

While I wasnt looking at a 4 x 4, but instead a round "fence post" maybe that would be better...
    Round "fence" post should work fine also.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast