Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    How about a thin space blanket carefully laid between the TQ Liner and the hammock?

- MacEntyre
    Mac, now you're thinking! You've just figured out how to add another 10-20F warmth with very little weight! I use a 4x8 cut piece of 0.8 mil painter's drop cloth (1.8 oz, clear plastic) which can also double as a ground cloth if I ever need it. VBs of course can cause condensation issues, but when used only beneath a hammock sleeper in cold windy conditions, bottom VBs can work remarkably well. The sleeper must remain aware of any developing condensation throughout the night & react in time to prevent serious problems. Below freezing temps & windy conditions generally don't cause any condensation problems for me, but warmer temps &/or no-wind conditons can---sleeper be ware! VB sheets like this should never be used on the outside of the down insulation as body moisture can now accumulate inside the insulation. But bottom VBs like this are a great safety insurance in winter conditions & well worth the pack weight. Sleeping pads & rain gear used as liners inside the PP also function as bottom VBs, but not as good as a larger sheet.
    Ed Speer (NotToWorry)
    Co-Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc
    Author, Hammock Camping book
    Moderator, Yahoo Hammock Camping List

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Images
    I'm anxious to hear about this trip!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Well, I ended up spending 10 nights in my PeaPod!

Most were in the 40s, two or three in the 30s, and one in the 60s. I was able to vent or close up to accommodate every situation! The Speer Top Quilt is a fantastic addition to the PeaPod.

The first night, it rained hard, with drippy fog, and gusts to 20 or 30 mph. The PeaPod was covered in droplets the next morning. No down was wet, though, and it dried soon. The second night it was 36*F and it blew hard NW. All was cozy in my hammock!

I think I learned more about the Speer hammock than about the PeaPod, though. I was amazed... there was more room than I had in my HH Explorer! I was able to lie on the diagonal both left and right. I could put my feet together and lay my knees out, without forcing the PeaPod open. I could roll over on either side. I even swapped ends without getting out of the hammock.

The PeaPod was a bit bulky compared to what others had with them. On the other hand, I needed no other insulation, except a light Frog Sac or Speer Top Quilt. It is definiitely a three season UQ, with one season being the dead of winter!

One trick I learned was that I could fasten the ends of the PeaPod in three different places. I could fasten it outside the ends of the hammock, just inside the whipping, or six inches below the whipping. Where I put it depended on how much gap I wanted between the hammock and the PeaPod. More gap for warmer temps, of course.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    2 more nights in the PeaPod...

The first night the low was just below freezing. I was toasty in a tee-shirt and shorts, Jacks Hood, REI Down Booties, and Speer Top Quilt. All I had for an opening was a hole about four inches in diameter, just above my chest.

On the second night, I learned that you can open a vent over your chest, and another way up at the top, above your head. The result is a nice chimney that keeps you cool when temps get in the upper 40s. There was no need for a vent at the foot.

I'm liking this PeaPod!

- MacEntyre
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 11-08-2009 at 20:19.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    I feel like I'm missing something here... If you need to use a topquilt in addition to the PeaPod, what's the point?

Just as an example, I use a Yeti and GL Ultra20. Together they weigh 34oz and cost me $255. I use my pack or a piece of CCF under my legs. I've comfortably been down below freezing.

The speer setup you're talking about weighs 56oz, costs $561, and it sounds like you're using it in the same temperature ranges.

I'm not trying to knock speer's stuff... I just feel like I'm missing something. I don't understand why the top part of the peapod is worth carrying if you still have to add a topquilt in with it. Please enlighten me.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    ...it sounds like you're using it in the same temperature ranges.
    He reported the encountered temps, not the ones that *will* encounter. Also, different people need different amounts of insulation depending on their resistance to cold.

...costs $561...
    It's probably not fair to assume that's what anyone with a PeaPod paid for it. Second hand buys, sales, trades, etc...

I'm not trying to knock speer's stuff... I just feel like I'm missing something. I don't understand why the top part of the peapod is worth carrying if you still have to add a topquilt in with it. Please enlighten me.
    Most people don't need any top quilt with the PeaPod at moderate temps (high 40's for some). And below that, you can use a far lighter top quilt than is possible with other configurations.

What is your coldest comfortable temp with that 3 season Yeti and GoLite? What clothing did you have to supplement with? For me, I've used a PeaPod with a Top Blanket and small sit pad into single digits F and was quite warm in only a lightweight base layer.

The PeaPod certainly and admittedly isn't the lightest solution for moderate temps. But, when you factor in the achievable cold temps and that the same piece of gear can be used when it's warmer (as opposed to buying yet another setup), the price and weight become much more reasonable.
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    That's about what I figured. I can't make it into single digits with my setup, that's for sure. I had it down to about 30 I think which was probably about as cold as it would be smart to take it. I was wearing 150 weight icebreaker bottoms (nearly zero insulation), but I did have on a smartwool midweight top.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    That's about what I figured. I can't make it into single digits with my setup, that's for sure.
    Then you do see the point!

- MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Then you do see the point!

- MacEntyre
    Well, I misunderstood what you meant when you posted about the temp ranges. I didn't realize you were probably carrying more insulation than most people would need at those temperatures.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I didn't realize you were probably carrying more insulation than most people would need at those temperatures.
    Right, the PeaPod with Top Blanket is not about adequacy or sufficiency.

But it was not much more than was required... the forecast was for temps in the high 20s. I would not want to use the PeaPod with no top blanket below freezing.

www.MollyMacGear.com