Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As everyone says above, I think the Speer would give better end protection, especially from windblown rain coming from the sides. And it'll probably be more flexible if you have to go to ground with it.

If you're not using grosgrain trim, the mild cat cut might be easier to sew the rolled him, but that's not much of an advantage. Plus you have to sew on another tie-out...so I'd guess it's not really easier to make, just different.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, the new speer would require 6 stakes. and i can't seem to find a picture of dave's tarp w/ the ends closed at hot springs. maybe someone else can locate one.
    dave told me the only thing he didn't like about having the ends closed was that it made it so small & close inside.
    at times like sat morn this past week end, the conditions are right for every thing to be wet w/ condensation... including the inside of the tarp. so every time i went to & from the hammock i had to be extra careful not to rub against the inside of the tarp or i would have a wet shirt.
    after dave made mention of that, i began to think that a set of "pull outs" like i have on my tarp would go a long way in solving that problem, because i do like the simplicity of being able to close the ends just by having that extra tie out in the middle.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    As everyone says above, I think the Speer would give better end protection, especially from windblown rain coming from the sides. And it'll probably be more flexible if you have to go to ground with it.

If you're not using grosgrain trim, the mild cat cut might be easier to sew the rolled him, but that's not much of an advantage. Plus you have to sew on another tie-out...so I'd guess it's not really easier to make, just different.
    I haven't really seen any lack of ground flexibility with my BlackCat...it's a lot more versatile than I originally expected - honestly more so than a few of the tarps I used when I was still on the ground.

A shallower cat cut is definitely easier to sew. The more curvature you have, the smaller the "bites" you have to take in order to keep things straight. Definitely takes longer. Adding grosgrain trim also exacerbates this; the grosgrain is kind of stiff and so doesn't like to conform to the curve.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12