Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images

Question- Ridge line

How do you incoprorate them into your homade hammocks & what type-rating line do you use?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just tie a loop in each end, then slide the support through the loop. I've used BPL's Air Core 2 (very thin and light, but pretty strong), Air Core Plus, 550 cord, crazy strong overkill ~7mm Spectra...maybe that's all.

The Air Core 2 is the lightest, but it's so thin I think it's damaging the Air Core Plus that I use for the hammock supports. Probably not worth the weight savings over just using Air Core Plus as a ridgeline.

But the main point is that pretty much anything will work as a ridgeline...breaking strength of 250+, maybe?

There's a force calculator in the Files section of the Yahoo group - you could enter your criteria and it'll estimate how much force your ridgeline takes. You might err on the high end when choosing a line, though - a snapped ridgeline could put out an eye.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One more thing - the right ridgeline length will vary for user, and for each hammock you make if you change the dimensions. When I have a new hammock, I tie a loop in one end and slide it over the hammock support. Then I use the HH Figure-8 lashing to attach the ridgeline to the other support. When I get the length to where it's most comfortable to me, I mark it, tie the loop and slide it over just like the other end.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Uh...at the risk of giving away my stealth newbie status (oops...too late), I must ask. Exactly what is a "ridge line", and do I need one?

Thanks, Miguel

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Uh...at the risk of giving away my stealth newbie status (oops...too late), I must ask. Exactly what is a "ridge line", and do I need one?

Thanks, Miguel
    A rope or string that spans the length of the hammock, just above it. Good for hanging lights, boots, glasses, mosquito nets, or anything else you don't want on the ground. Some tie their tarps to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkwater View Post
    A rope or string that spans the length of the hammock, just above it. Good for hanging lights, boots, glasses, mosquito nets, or anything else you don't want on the ground. Some tie their tarps to them.
    Main reason for the ridge line is to set the "right" amount of sag so as to make the hammock comfortable without much fiddling with the suppension ropes/straps

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    Main reason for the ridge line is to set the "right" amount of sag so as to make the hammock comfortable without much fiddling with the suppension ropes/straps
    Oh yea! That too.

another reason for a basic beginner hammock thread

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm sorry but I'm still a bit confused. Is it built in or added on? Seems I've read that some hammocks have a "built in" ridgeline where others don't. Do Claytors jungle hammocks have a ridgeline? Neo?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Two types of ridgelines.

First, the structural ridgeline is very tight, non-stretchy, and sets the amount of sag on the hammock. When you pull the hammock supports tight, you're also pulling the ridgeline tight...but since the ridgeline holds a fixed length, the fabric in the hammock body isn't affected. Tom Hennessy has a patent on this kind of ridgeline so other hammocks can't be sold with it, but you can make your own or add it on to another model with no issues. I like it b/c no matter how you hang your hammock, it always has the same amount of sag. Also, you can tie the supports to the tree at a lower level and still have a comfortable hammock b/c it increases the sag.

Next, non-structural ridgelines are just strung up support bugnets or tarps and don't change how the hammock sags. Some of these are elastic and some are cord, occasionally webbing on some homemade ones.

Both kinds are good for holding boots, jackets, stuff sacks with nighttime essentials, etc. I always hang my headlamp and emergency whistle up there...that way I can blow the whistle when a bear comes sniffing and never have to leave the hammock. Since I switched to a soft-sided Nalgene I use my water as a pillow, but before that I always had a stuff sack with a snack and bottle of water hung on the ridgeline.

Hammock ridgelines are also different from tarp ridgelines. Tarp ridgelines are sometimes just a sewn seam running along the center length that needs to be sealed, and some folks actually run a cord for the full length between the trees and the tarp lays on top of it. Each type has advantages...but as I said, don't confuse tarp ridgelines with hammock ridgelines.

Ewker, I'll work on the beginner hammock thread.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 10-17-2006 at 17:42.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast