Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

Anyone make their own Knotted hammocks?

I learned to knot hammocks while serving in the Peace Corps in Guatemala. I find them very tough and comfortable. Some people don't like the knots, they claim they dig into your back. I have to make one every year or so to keep from forgetting how to do it.
    Anyone else use this style for camping? Just curious.
    Thanks, Wade

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    For camping I, and as far as I know, most of us, use 1.9 ounce ripstop nylon for our hammocks. Depending on the weight of the rope, the nylon just would weigh so much less, which makes a big difference while backpacking. I think it would be awesome to know how though, at least for one in the back yard. Welcome to the forums, and if you are interested in making nylon hammocks there are plenty of instructions here and in the links.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    These came up a month or so ago. But not making them, just buying them.
    I used to use one for years as a back up for bicycle touring when it would rain. Like the Byer it had a lot of strings coming down to the main body of it. So you had to tie a drip string to each to keep the water from running down and getting into your gear. It saved my rear on many a trip.
    I had one like the Super Hammock which comes in at 1.5 lbs which isn't too shabby. You could probably drop that if you lost the steel rings on each end for a lighter aluminum descending rings.

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...bID=1&CatID=63
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i have looked at instructions on weaving one. pretty interesting. it's an art.
    i would think it would have to weigh more than a fabric hammock, so the rope hammock may not be as practical for backpacking, but who knows. the hollow braid rope is pretty dog gone light.
    might be nice in hot weather. certainly in the back yard.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have one of the lightweight net hammocks sold in military exchanges on base...used it for years before really discovering "hammock camping." Minus the ropes, it weighs about as much as a ripstop hammock. But it uses really small ropes and it's pretty uncomfortable to sit in it w/o pants. Multi-use as a fishing net and all kinds of other stuff, but as I said, it's not very comfortable...I think for a comfy one, you'd need bigger ropes, which means more weight. But if you're not backpacking, that's not a concern...and some of these things can be pretty artistic.

I learned how to tie them in survival training, but never actually made one...just got the pattern down and moved on to something else b/c of time constraints.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

Just got mine weighed...

It tips the scales at 2lbs. even. I do not use metal rings for the ends. It's made out of #36 seine twine. The ability to repair it in the field is what appeals to me most.
    I should try and post a picture of it sometime, maybe once I get more familiar with the procedures here.
    I weigh 250 and quite frankly am nervous about trusting a cloth hammock. Not that I have had any experience with them. I guess Maybe I should give them a try.

Wade

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steene View Post
    It tips the scales at 2lbs. even. I do not use metal rings for the ends. It's made out of #36 seine twine. The ability to repair it in the field is what appeals to me most.
    I should try and post a picture of it sometime, maybe once I get more familiar with the procedures here.
    I weigh 250 and quite frankly am nervous about trusting a cloth hammock. Not that I have had any experience with them. I guess Maybe I should give them a try.

Wade
    Take the plunge and givem a try. Your 250lbs will be no problem with the right hammock.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steene View Post
    Oh, I can hardly wait. I love knotted hammocks. To upload a photo, just go to the 'Gallery' tab on the first gray bar on this page. Click it and a menu will drop down. Click 'upload photo' and follow the instructions. Easy, painless and will make a dino really happy.

• + New Posts