Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Anybody hammock up the tree?

Hi All,

I'm a new guy here, and to hammock camping as well (I don't have one yet, even, haven't picked). Parden my ignorance, that I march to a different drumroll a bit, and perhaps my impractical aims, but here it goes. I am interested in whether anybody also happens to be a tree climber and camps up in the trees? Beyond the added fun of climbing, when available, I just like the potential safety from wildlife and actually being able to blend into the environment better (privacy, and actually in everyone's favor) when I am out.

I plan on taking extended trips into the Rockies regardless of season, though of course, gearing differently for each season. As well, in winter the higher hang wouldn't be necessary.

The thing is, most hammock makers do not suggest this type of activity. The hammocks are not set up for the type of safety gear one might wisely use 30' or more off the forest floor. This can be mitigated by customizing the hammocks (as simply as using bungie cords or other binders, to fully or partially net the occupant, all the way to building ones own hammock and really planning the design.

So, at this point, I am looking at all the options out there, and to put it bluntly, it is overwhelming. It would be easier to just ask this question from the hammock users like yourselves, and maybe get a few ideas. Even if no one has done this, some of the rock face sleepers might have a few tips. Oh, and I looked at a tree boat, but I don't think that would work for anything below 60 or 70 or long term regular use, and I am not too sure about it's wind tolerance.

I do plan to buy either the Hennesy or Clark, big and tall size, to experiment with here in Iowa. Get's cold enough I can figure some of that out, but the tree thing has me stumped. I just haven't seen anything about that.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    See if this will work for you.

www.mosquitohammock.com/bathammock.html

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You are a braver man than I am if you are going to sleep 30' up in a tree with a hammock. I could see me getting up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break, dazed and sleepy, and falling to the ground. Watch out that first step is a doozy.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I know they are expensive and heavy, but maybe you could look at mtn climbers sleeping platforms and try to mimic some of the basic concepts into a hammock. Just a thought. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    a while back (last year maybe) there was someone talking about the same thing on the hammockcamping yahoo group. maybe you could ask there & search the archives to see if you can find that person (or persons).
    i try to stay out of trees since i took a fall & broke a bunch of bones in 2002, but i've always loved climbing in trees.
    when others were talking about it before, i think one of the questions that had to be addressed is getting in & out of the hammock. i don't remember what the suggestions were now but at least one person talked about using a pulley & harness. have you had any thoughts on that?
    of course if i were going to do that, i believe i would make my own hammock rather than a commercially made one & increase the fabrics & supports. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I remember seeing a pic of a hammock in a tree. I think I saw it on whiteblaze.net . I would stay away from the hh for this. The bottom entry is going to make something like this a lot harder. I would stick with a top loader.

It is also going to be colder and windier up high. There is nothing to block the wind. So insulation is going to be more important.

On something like this, I would do a lot of hanging close to the ground first. Become really good and confident in all of the aspects of hammocking before you go up high. If you make your own, I would way way over design things. I would not use anything rated under 2000 lbs. I would then test and spend a lot of time in it close to the ground.

I am not a tree climber, but I do hang at places close to the ground that I do not want to fall from. My favorite is to hang over water. I have only done this once, but it was pretty cool. I also like steep hills. It took me awhile to get the nerve/skills to feel comfortable doing this.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    I have managed to hang my HH 9ft high once. I definately don't recommend it.
    The setup took aprox 1hr and required 2 ropes highly tensioned below the hammock to use as climbing and balance aids to enter the HH. There are several people here that have also played with climbing ascenders to achieve a high hammock pitch. I did not have much success with climbing gear, and found the componets to be quite pricey. However maybe Blackbishop with throw his 2 cents it as I believe he might have experimented further than I did, with perhaps more success.

One thing I will say about using ropes to get up to your hammock - The HH bottom entry was actually alot less acrobatic to get into and out of than a side entry because standing on the tensioned ropes below, you are very close to one tree and have less sag in the tensioned lines and a little less precarious balance point once you get yourself situated to sit into the HH as opposed to having to swing into the side entry hammock.

This pic, from Ebay inspired my experiments, though I have not had great success. Perhaps you may find a fresh take on it:

I would love to see a successful, practical means of high hanging without the drawbacks of having to use top-loading suspending
    hammocks.

I think Hammock engineer brings up a very good point. If you are looking to pitch between branches of a single tree, and monkey climb in around the trunk to access the hammock. Side entry would be a big advantage for that kind of pitch.

oh ya, worth mentioning. I have had to re-sew the reinforced patch at the bottom of my HH entry slit 3 times because of
    the stress I put on the hammock hoisting my whole body weight by the hammock fabric through many attempts with high pitches both in the garage and in the back yard. Im 5'10" - 185lbs and using a HHULBA.
    Last edited by turk; 05-26-2007 at 12:27.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you want to hang high in the trees check out the

Tree Boat

It is made by tree climber especially for hanging high in trees. Kind of heavy, but then it's your safety you are concerned about.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd get a top entry hammock instead of the bottom-entry HH - that way you could sleep in your harness and still be comfortable.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    i would use a top loader for sure. i would run a length of rope horizontally about 3 feet above the hammock to climb in and out on. that bat hammock thing looks pretty awesome too. what a great idea. it looks like it would be a good alternative to a portaledge on a big wall. also, when climbers feel pretty safe sleeping on their portaledge, they sometimes replace their harness with a noose around their ankle for more comfort, but you've gotta be pretty certain you're not gonna need it, cause falling out and hanging from your ankle would not be pleasant...Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I'd get a top entry hammock instead of the bottom-entry HH - that way you could sleep in your harness and still be comfortable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast