Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Nylon

While I know that nylon stretches, I don't know what it does after the tension is removed...

2mm nylon braided rope is used for a tarp ridgeline suspension. It is tied to the trees and placed under tension. It will stretch during the course of the night. The next day, the tarp is taken down. Question...
    Will the nylon rope return to its original state and then stretch every time it is tensioned or does it stay stretched and therefore, become more static?
    IOW, does 30' of rope stretched to 30'2" overnight return to 30' or stay at 30'2" (or somewhere in between)?
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    While I know that nylon stretches, I don't know what it does after the tension is removed...

2mm nylon braided rope is used for a tarp ridgeline suspension. It is tied to the trees and placed under tension. It will stretch during the course of the night. The next day, the tarp is taken down. Question...
    Will the nylon rope return to its original state and then stretch every time it is tensioned or does it stay stretched and therefore, become more static?
    IOW, does 30' of rope stretched to 30'2" overnight return to 30' or stay at 30'2" (or somewhere in between)?
    My understanding is that it returns to nearly the original length. Nylon has a good memory (unlike me).
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB D1.1, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    My understanding is that it returns to nearly the original length. Nylon has a good memory (unlike me).
    I suspected as much, but hoped not
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    That's a good question AC, from my days climbing, back in the day, love saying that, a dynamic rope has a lot of stretch to it, 10%+ in some cases, they were a lot of fun to play around on and bounce on almost like a bungee cord but not that much stretch. A static nylon rope for rappelling dose still stretch though it is not 100% static, maybe 2-3% stretch. But just like TeeDee said, nylon has quite a memory, I could probably bounce on a climbing line 1000's of times and it would go right back to the same basic length with a little rest. Over time it may begin to break down and not have as much stretch but at that point you are also getting closer to the end of the ropes life and it will be more likely to snap under tension. That is why I like the Dyneema stuff as it is much more solid and will not stretch at all up to the last little bit before you hit max load of the tensile strength.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hanging, backpacking and Ultralight Fishing gear needs.

Free APEX Upgrade on Every Kick *** Quilt (KAQ)

Now Offering FlameThower Down Gear And Tenkara Fishing gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com
    Tenkara-Fishing.com
    Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter