Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hello!! expert advice needed.

My parents just bought a really nice lake house and they got a pretty nice backyard, so I'm getting them a hammock.

I was reading around and it looks like the Pawleys Duracord original styled hammocks are the best?

I saw they were priced anywhere form $130-180, can't really find a good deal anywhere, oh well, but I was unsure of whether or not this would be the way to go?

Also am unsure on the metal support system I'm suppose to buy, wondered if anyone knew a certain kind to buy?

Any tips would be great. I figured the rope styled ones are better thent he pure fabrics.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Never heard of that hammock as I'm sure most here have'nt either. This site is geared toward camping hammocks. Good luck though and welcome to the site.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Darn, a hammock site that only talks about one particular aspect of hammocking...just my luck 8-)

I guess the brand name isn't important..

my question is Duracord vs Polyester...you guys deal with that?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Polyester is very durable, has little stretch (a good thing) and resitant to abrasion and UV exposure. I would go with that. I have never heard of Duracord.

I know that you are looking at something strictly for backyard use but fabric hammock are much, much more comfortable and less prone to flipping than rope/corded hammocks. Take a look at ENO or Byer Hammocks. They are a lot cheaper than what you are looking at and you can tie them up anywhere you find trees. Byers also sell stands for their hammocks.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yeah andy, i guess this group is made up primarily of people that backpack or camp w/ their hammocks, but no reason why we shouldn't be able to help w/ a hammock that's just intended for use in the yard if we can.
    but we may not find as much experience here w/ the rope type hammocks w/ the wooden spreader bars.
    headchange is right though that you may want to give the fabric hammocks a try.
    you may find them pretty comfy. and you wont have a rope pattern on your back when you get up
    and if the hammock fabric is nice & wide, you can lay almost completely flat with out being as unstable as some of the more traditional yard hammocks tend to be.
    if the fabric hasn't been treated w/ a durable water repellent (dwr) you will still get a nice breeze through it in the summer. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Can you have 2 on a fabric hammock??

no tree spots for the hammock, darn.

I've read about this new Duracord material, I guess it is very, very similar to cotton and retains 1/10 less water then polyester, is more durable, and easier to clean?

what do u guys suggest for 2 people to be able to use?

so polyester vs cotton vs duracord with not much experience on curacord...go fo polyester?

and how about these?

http://www.pawleys.com/cgi-bin/pawle...bric%sHammocks

looking more for a rope tied version, those are somewhat expensive though there are probably are cheaper ones around.
    Last edited by andyisc00l; 05-31-2007 at 00:07.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andyisc00l View Post
    Can you have 2 on a fabric hammock?? what do u guys suggest for 2 people to be able to use?
    Andy, take a look at the link below. It's made for 2, is very inexpensive, durable and holds up to 400 lbs if hung correctly. I own one (Actually, it's my son's) and we love it! http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...t-hammock.html
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    I have not used any of those. I think most here have not. It would be a cool thing to add there. I think that to be a true all around hammocking forums, then these types of hammock should also be talked about.

There are probibly things you can add using them that could be incorperated into camping hammocks.

Either way, welcome aboard.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Andy, take a look at the link below. It's made for 2, is very inexpensive, durable and holds up to 400 lbs if hung correctly. I own one (Actually, it's my son's) and we love it! http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...t-hammock.html
    True, I bet you it rocks, but this is probably 40% cosmetics as well, can't have nylon, trying to be old school.

Rope and Old School Fabric hammocks are just expensive. I only saw one priced under $100 at target.com ... and it was $80. Although you can find the name brand ones for around 40% off online making them more attractive at $100. They look nice.

I guess there was a new material developed in 2003 called Duracord. Its pretty big, big enough they sell them at Target and stores like that. I'll have to go give it a try, it has my interest. The feel of cotton and strength of polyester...actually more strength.

The Original Pawleys Island Rope Hammoocks

That seems to be a big name brand in hammocks. I think I'm going to stick to them, they got rave reviews all around. Although it is a simple concept, I know these things if produced not great have poor durability.

Also, thanks for all the welcomes, very friendly bunch here.

oh btw, I will try to get some pictures when this is all done in the next couple weeks ! :-p
    Last edited by andyisc00l; 05-31-2007 at 01:34.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andyisc00l View Post
    True, I bet you it rocks, but this is probably 40% cosmetics as well, can't have nylon, trying to be old school.
    What do you mean by you have to be old school?

You can have nylon but you will use new material?

You have me confused?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast