JRB cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    You've got a great list there . Good luck in italy
    I'm still not 100% sure. I want a hex tarp but the idea of doors is cool and that one seems to combine the best of both worlds. I looked at the Speer winter tarp that's highly recommended by some but it looks like you have to use 8 guy lines every time you set it up. I'm used to only 2.

Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ekitel View Post
    I'm still not 100% sure. I want a hex tarp but the idea of doors is cool and that one seems to combine the best of both worlds. I looked at the Speer winter tarp that's highly recommended by some but it looks like you have to use 8 guy lines every time you set it up. I'm used to only 2.
    You get so much more tarp coverage though! And you can use short guy-lines and just use 4 stakes if you tie the door flaps back or cross them over as doors and just tie them to the existing stakes. I have been doing that and it works well. So 4 stakes is do-able.
    Adding pull outs to mine as well. In the picture I am testing one pull out with a clip but two per side is how I am going. Better pitch.
    Shug

swt.jpg

tarp detail.jpg

swtt.jpg
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!

Shug's YouTube Videos

Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

Shug and Friends Jammin'

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Welcome and thanks for the pix - they are great!

Your gear list looks great, too. Quality items. What will you use for a top quilt?

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Welcome and thanks for the pix - they are great!

Your gear list looks great, too. Quality items. What will you use for a top quilt?
    Thanks! For inside the hammock I'll just use my sleeping bag for now. I have a Thermolite liner also. I figure I'll be spending enough with new gear already on the list. I can close the mummy bag down over my eyes so just my mouth and nostrils are exposed, a configuration I've found necessary in temps close to freezing.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You get so much more tarp coverage though!
    Thanks for the advice! I'm just not sure I need so much coverage, I'm used to the little HH tarp.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Welcome to HF!!
    Thanks! Those whoopie slings look pretty great. I'm going to get the WBBB with line/strap instead now and add the slings.

I'm looking for anything that will significantly add to setup convenience. I think I've paid my dues long enough lashing the HH ropes to 42" tree huggers!

I'm also wondering about snake skins for either tarp, hammock or both. I've only ever used the HH with them, never without, so I can't compare.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Thanks! Those whoopie slings look pretty great. I'm going to get the WBBB with line/strap instead now and add the slings.
    They are great! Definitely (in my opinion) the simplest and quickest way to adjust your hammock. Well, maybe not simpler than webbing and rings, probably on par, but much lighter.

I'm looking for anything that will significantly add to setup convenience. I think I've paid my dues long enough lashing the HH ropes to 42" tree huggers!
    Amen!

I'm also wondering about snake skins for either tarp, hammock or both. I've only ever used the HH with them, never without, so I can't compare.
    If you're getting a Blackbird, the included stuff sack is really well designed and works as conveniently as snakesins. It's got openings on both ends.

Keep your tarp separate from the hammock (so you can set it up first thing in the rain). If you really like the skins, a noseeum netting set of snakeskins (or just a netting stuffsack) is a really nice way to go for the tarp so you can strap it to the outside of your pack and let it airdry on the move (may not fully dry, but will get close).
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.