Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

Clark Jungle Hammock Decision

I am trying to decide between the CAMO with the XL rain fly, or the standard Clark Jungle Hammock NA (CJH NA) with the standard rain fly. I am not certain the extra 20" is worth the cash and weight penalty. Though, the camo is very cool looking.

I currently have an HH ultralite backpacker and am satisfied with the standard A-sym rain fly. I guess the newer HH's come with slightly (30%) larger rain flys than they used to. I bought mine last season, which I believe has the larger A-sym rain fly.

I prefer to save as much weight in my pack as possible. I am a small guy (5'7", 140#) so I don't need as much space as most larger individuals. Also, I tend not to use my fly for cooking. Unless it is absolutely necessary (rain storm).

The things attracting me to the CJH NA is the weather shield, and not having to carry a pad, or under quilt with me. Also, it looks like there is a bit more room under the bug net. Setup looks much simpler than my HH with a super shelter. I always forget to put the super shelter on and have to redo everything.....lol

I have read a lot of complaints about the smaller fly's on the CJH NA's. Is there anyone out there who has a CJH NA with the standard rain fly and is satisfied with it?

I would appreciate any advice, or comments; especially in comparing an HH and a CJH NA. I have only read a couple review's from people who have used both, and it seems they prefer the CJH.

Thanks
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    I am trying to decide between the CAMO with the XL rain fly, or the standard Clark Jungle Hammock NA (CJH NA) with the standard rain fly. I am not certain the extra 20" is worth the cash and weight penalty. Though, the camo is very cool looking.

I currently have an HH ultralite backpacker and am satisfied with the standard A-sym rain fly. I guess the newer HH's come with slightly (30%) larger rain flys than they used to. I bought mine last season, which I believe has the larger A-sym rain fly.

I prefer to save as much weight in my pack as possible. I am a small guy (5'7", 140#) so I don't need as much space as most larger individuals. Also, I tend not to use my fly for cooking. Unless it is absolutely necessary (rain storm).

The things attracting me to the CJH NA is the weather shield, and not having to carry a pad, or under quilt with me. Also, it looks like there is a bit more room under the bug net. Setup looks much simpler than my HH with a super shelter. I always forget to put the super shelter on and have to redo everything.....lol

I have read a lot of complaints about the smaller fly's on the CJH NA's. Is there anyone out there who has a CJH NA with the standard rain fly and is satisfied with it?

I would appreciate any advice, or comments; especially in comparing an HH and a CJH NA. I have only read a couple review's from people who have used both, and it seems they prefer the CJH.

Thanks

Hey welcome to the forum.

A few thoughts on your post. With the insulating pockets on the CJH NA, you still have to have gear and extra clothing to put in there to help stay warm. That could add up to as much or more weight than a pad or underquilt. The pad(s) or underquilt will give you a much lower temp range IMO.
    Dont know where you read those reviews but the Hennessy is preferred over the CJH on this site by a very wide margin. Plus the weight and cost of the CJH is a big disadvantage.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 06-02-2007 at 16:01.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    I am certain the HH is much more popular. Any post I have personally
    read from someone owning both hammocks has mentioned they prefer the
    CJH.

The claim is that freezer bags full of air will work well for
    insulation in the pockets. I don't think a few freezer bags will
    weigh as much as my 20oz. JRB quilt. The other thought is that I
    always have some extra gear to throw in the pockets anyways.

I have read a few posts from individuals claiming they have had their
    CJH down to like 30* without a pad, or under quilt. The manufacturer
    claims you can go to as low of a temp as your sleeping bag can handle.

The principal is the same as a quilt, minus the down. It is the loft
    which gives you warmth. Maybe making a few small down pillows to
    stuff in the pockets will work......lol....that would likely add a lot
    of weight.

Don't get me wrong, I do like my HH. I just think the CJH offers some
    better features, which are attractive to me.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Images
    the solid insulation making the loft has a lot to do with it too though. air by itself is not the best insulator, many air mattresses come with extra insulation inside besides just the air. ccf, down, synthetic. the big agnes air core with no insul has a temp range of around 40* or so (as i recall) and the exact same pad with some primaloft in it goes down to 20*. but the ziplock bags could be several inches thicker than that. what about a couple of trash bags? you could even blow it up while you were inside and it would form to your body? if you could get down to 30* i would be supprised though, but please let us know how how it works. might have to wait 6 or 7 months to find out though...Brandon

The claim is that freezer bags full of air will work well for
    insulation in the pockets. I don't think a few freezer bags will
    weigh as much as my 20oz. JRB quilt. The other thought is that I
    always have some extra gear to throw in the pockets anyways.

I have read a few posts from individuals claiming they have had their
    CJH down to like 30* without a pad, or under quilt. The manufacturer
    claims you can go to as low of a temp as your sleeping bag can handle.

The principal is the same as a quilt, minus the down. It is the loft
    which gives you warmth. Maybe making a few small down pillows to
    stuff in the pockets will work......lol....that would likely add a lot
    of weight.

Don't get me wrong, I do like my HH. I just think the CJH offers some
    better features, which are attractive to me.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

Who had a Clark and hated it?

I’m very new to hammocks and this forum, but I have found very few reviews of the Clark by people that own both the Clark & the Hennessy. Most of the Hennessy owner’s anti-Clark comments didn’t say they had owned one and found it lacking. For the most part they just say the price is too high, and doubt it can perform as claimed. Since I already have one, I don’t want to hear how bad they are now . The idea of bottom entry/exit didn’t appeal to me, so I went with the Clark. After reading comments on here, I’ll most likely try a Tom Claytor Jungle Hammock if I buy a second hammock for my son.

One thing I like about this forum so far: Even when others don’t agree with your choice, they for the most part state their beliefs in a well mannered way.

6 ft.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Not necessarily. Maybe I can find someone willing to let me use their walk-in-freezer for a night or two.....lol

I am tempted to try one over the summer to see how well it works. Even if I can go to 40* without a pad, or under quilt I would be happy. I just hate taking the super shelter, or an extra quilt.

I don't actually have two quilts at the moment. I have a JRB nest, which I use as an over quilt. I am considering using it as an under quilt and making an over quilt. Fleece is too have for me to take since I have been trying to keep a 20lb pack weight.

I currently use a super shelter and don't really like it.

I'll let ya know if I decide to get a CJH.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    I’m very new to hammocks and this forum, but I have found very few reviews of the Clark by people that own both the Clark & the Hennessy. Most of the Hennessy owner’s anti-Clark comments didn’t say they had owned one and found it lacking. For the most part they just say the price is too high, and doubt it can perform as claimed. Since I already have one, I don’t want to hear how bad they are now . The idea of bottom entry/exit didn’t appeal to me, so I went with the Clark. After reading comments on here, I’ll most likely try a Tom Claytor Jungle Hammock if I buy a second hammock for my son.

One thing I like about this forum so far: Even when others don’t agree with your choice, they for the most part state their beliefs in a well mannered way.

6 ft.
    So what is your opinion? Do you like the CJH? Have you taken it out down to about 40*, or colder? I am very interested in what you have to say. Feel free to carry on about the CJH, it is an expensive decision for me.......lol Thanks.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

Would this work?

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the solid insulation making the loft has a lot to do with it too though. air by itself is not the best insulator...
    I haven’t had the chance to cold weather ‘hang’ with my Clark yet, but I did have this thought. With the zip bag idea for the Clark, if just air in a zip bag isn’t a good insulator you could fill the zip bag with leaves, pine needles, etc and place the zip bags in the Clark’s under pockets. That way you’d have something other than air. It would also keep bugs, damp, etc from being loose in/on your hammock. You could then just empty the zip bags in the morning. You wouldn’t be carrying any extra weight. I haven’t put this theory to the test; just an idea.

6 ft

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    I haven’t had the chance to cold weather ‘hang’ with my Clark yet, but I did have this thought. With the zip bag idea for the Clark, if just air in a zip bag isn’t a good insulator you could fill the zip bag with leaves, pine needles, etc and place the zip bags in the Clark’s under pockets. That way you’d have something other than air. It would also keep bugs, damp, etc from being loose in/on your hammock. You could then just empty the zip bags in the morning. You wouldn’t be carrying any extra weight. I haven’t put this theory to the test; just an idea.

6 ft
    That sounds like a good idea. I will have to try it when the weather gets cold.

One issue with this would be if there is snow on the ground. Or worse, ice.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

Jury is still out

So what is your opinion? Do you like the CJH? Have you taken it out down to about 40*, or colder? I am very interested in what you have to say. Feel free to carry on about the CJH, it is an expensive decision for me.......lol Thanks.
    I haven’t had much chance to use it yet. I do like it as far as I can tell, but it’s not been put to the test yet. At this point it will be more of a test of how it handles the heat! I may have been mistaken, but my decision to get a CJH was based on saving some $ (& weight) on things I wouldn’t need that other models do need. The idea of not needing to bring anything other than a good sleeping bag was my thought. (In cold weather I’d wear long johns, hat, etc to bed) Real world use may not live up to my hope , we’ll see.

This doesn’t seem to be a site where I’ll have a lot of company, but I had plans to use it while archery hunting. The idea of setting up ‘camp’ without having to find a flat spot after dark was attractive. I have a Colorado trip planned and thought I would have a hammock with me to spike out from a main camp.

By the way, if my behavior has been considered ‘carrying on’ then this forum is even better behaved than I thought !

6 ft.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast