WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap

Talking Hammock Primer

This idea might be better as an online document because things change and improve so quickly around here... Since I've found this site in July, I've learned alot, but not without ALOT of searching, asking questions and trying to put this and that together. Some things, Im still confused on and need to go to a hang to actually see, touch the stuff. Some of this is so simple but as a visual learner, sometimes just seeing something (picture, description) leads to an "AHHH" moment. Im impressed with the wealth of knowledge on this site and am drinking it up, but sometimes think it would be nice especially for the newbies if there was some kind of document that covers more info on hammocks, what works with what, etc? A book is the typical way these days, but I think a breathing document would make more sense that can be updated periodically.

This is something that could even be done on this forum, or something in a PDF format someone can download off a website like Arrowhead... its a big project, I know. (I can picture you guys with a laptop typing away while hanging)

Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Harpo, I think this would be a great idea, there is a lot of info to absorb here and lots of new things pop up every day. That makes a project like this a bit challenging but still a great idea. After the holidays maybe I can start putting together a PDF of some of the different systems. Also there was a file posted with a great image of some hammock basics posted not that long ago that showed things very well you may check that out Here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...019#post171019

Cheers

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hanging, backpacking and Ultralight Fishing gear needs.

Free APEX Upgrade on Every Kick *** Quilt (KAQ)

Now Offering FlameThower Down Gear And Tenkara Fishing gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com
    Tenkara-Fishing.com
    Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Yeah its a big project. Could be broken down if there was a bunch of categories we want info on and certain experienced people could volunteer to take on a category.... Some sites like Just Jeff's already has some categories that could be used to start, but there is only so much info on there that has me seeking more.

Here is an example of something I learned just yesterday that has evolved as I read posts here... Finding and buying a WBBB was the easy part. Next is the UQ. So far, Ive gathered that a KAQ New River would be a good starter quilt (money wise) as I do more motorcycle camping than backpacking at this moment- don't need the 2/3 quilt to save weight. Then someone says that synthetic quilts work great as 2/3 versions, but in full length they tend to leave too much air space under the legs, hence a down quilt due to its loft would be warmer/better...

If what I learned was true, then that would be valuable information in determining a purchase. Thats the kind of information that would be great. Categories such as... Determining what kind of UQ to buy? TQ? How different hammock suspension systems work (whoopies, marlin spike, tri glides, rings, etc...), line vs webbing suspension...

You're right, there are so many variables and would be difficult to put together, but if it was available, it would be great information to go along with the basics that are already on the HF site such as the link you provided.