Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Trooper-
    To be fair to this community, there wasn't always such a negative tone towards Tom Hennessy. When I joined, his hammocks dominated this forum. ..............
    That is exactly my recollection also. When I joined, I had owned an HHULExplorer and SS for a couple of months and had been on a one week trip with it. There was a bit of back and forth between pro HH and pro Speer folks, and I only heard good things said about both companies and products. But, HH clearly dominated the polls. That was roughly 3 years ago.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Trooper-
    To be fair to this community, there wasn't always such a negative tone towards Tom Hennessy. When I joined, his hammocks dominated this forum. People had plenty of positive things to say about him and his products. It wasn't until stories of Tom cruising campgrounds to find people 'stealing' his ideas that the negative chatter started. Then he pushed it over the limit by being a complete and total *** at Trail Days one year.

This community once held open arms towards Tom Hennessy and he still rejected it. His business practices are questionable, sure. But for my part, the issue is much more directed at the way he treated people who wanted to buy his products. To be fair, my last several dealings with Tom have been very positive and he knows I'm a big fan and supporter of Warbonnet Outdoors; a company that I'm positive leaves a bad taste in his mouth.

As for not wanting to subject himself to ridicule on Hammock Forums, why not? Many/most of the other manufacturers do. Brandon (warbonnetguy) still carries a chip on his shoulder (don't lie, you know it's true ) about me ragging on his first tarp offering; I thought it would hold too much snow due to it's somewhat extreme bend in the ridgeline. I've seen and have had a few disagreements with the Jacks; still a fan of their gear. Ed Speer caught a bunch of crud about the weight of his SnugFit early on; the list goes on. He shouldn't be so concerned about it, it's part of life. The advantages for him would be huge since he would have a pool of a hundred active members, at any given point, doing R&D for him....for free!.
    Well put and very accurate. I have also had some "interesting" discussions with a product maker( other than TH) over different opinions of how something was working. It all worked out good though, and I am a strong promoter of their gear.

But, though general customer service and product quality was always first rate - I remember being in the back yard with TH talking me through confusion on a cell phone!- Tom never seemed much interested in possible ways the product could be improved. There is a lot of R&D and testing that goes on among users of this forum.

Images
    Cannibal:
    I honestly believe he's trying to do right these days. It's simply very difficult for a king (self-appointed or not) to fall upon his sword.
    Well King Saul did it, so what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    I am not a lawyer, but as I read the pertinent US Code - you are wrong.

You will note that it specifically states that "making" something that is patented is an infringement.

So as a DIYer, just making your own copy of a patented object is an infringement and you have doubly infringed by then using the patented object. Morally you are wrong as a DIYer to make and give away a patented object since you are then depriving the holder(s) of the patent income rightfully due them. Legally ( and morally??) it makes no difference if you think the patent was granted wrongly. If you strongly think that the patent was granted wrongly, then you should legally pursue having the patent declared invalid. Of course that is going to cost you a lot in terms of time and money. Civil disobedience has a long history in this country, but you should at least have a clear picture of your civil disobedience.

Of course, trying to bring a DIYer to court is going to cost more than the court action is probably worth to the patent holder. But legally the patent holder could do so and if they win the court case, cause the DIYer to stop and probably relinquish the patented object made.

Just trying to clear up a misconception about "making" something for your own use that is patented.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm........ Very informative indeed!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567