Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Ultra is pretty water resistant...I'd be surprised if frozen breath reduced the loft.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The Ultra is pretty water resistant...I'd be surprised if frozen breath reduced the loft.
    It was more soaking wet than frozen- or a combo of both. But actually, I think when I checked the loft the next morning, there was not a whole lot of loft loss. Though it might have dried out some by the time I was able to check it. But it probably didn't take much at those temps, well below what some feel is already a marginal rating.

Edit: I found my original post, and here is what I wrote on the Ultra:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6843
    My PG bag was also pretty wet at the area near chin contact, but that seemed irrelevant to warmth. ( a neck gator might have helped with condensation, but I did not use it). So with the 27 oz Mt.Washington UQ, I seemed good to go at near to 10*, for sure as low as 12-16*F. Once warm enough on top, I was just fine on my back, legs and feet, on my side or back. As I had been for the first 4 hours with the lighter quilt. This is a really good set up, and I think I could have gone a bit lower and been OK. I was impressed that I never had cold feet, even in the light quilt, and with just one layer of wool socks. And no matter how I rolled around, there were no cold spots- just some cool ones for a few minutes.

But I might have been just a tad past the limits of my 20* Golite quilt, even with my several extra layers. Especially once I got things wet with my condensed breath. I wasn't bad cold, but I was sure on the edge. When I got the quilt inside, it looked like it had lost a good bit of loft in that small uppermost area that was obviously wet. It also weighed 3 ozs more than normal. I don't know if that is a lot. But my heavy PG bag handled things with ease, condensation or no condensation. Too bad it is heavy and bulky.

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I always get condensation issues inside my hammock sock when I use my Claytor no net hammock and Speer Pea Pod.. But I stay warm and out from the bitterness of the cold winter wind. And that is okay with me. It is a simpe and adequate set up.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Every time I've been in my Clark in temps below freezing I've ended up with some frozen condensation on the inside of the netting and weather shield. Even leaving it partially open for ventilation doesn't cure it. I'm betting a face covering of some sort, along the lines of what Animalcontrol describes would be a big help.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Maybe Pan will chime in here. He has used some type of face mask/balaclava that really did great at preventing that breath condensation.
    I believe Pan uses one of these:

http://www.exmask.com/psolarbx.php

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh-No View Post
    I believe Pan uses one of these:

http://www.exmask.com/psolarbx.php
    Yes, I think that is it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    the top and bottom of the ultra that have the grey pertex seem more h2o resistent, but i doubt the rest (blue) is

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    Every time I've been in my Clark in temps below freezing I've ended up with some frozen condensation on the inside of the netting and weather shield. Even leaving it partially open for ventilation doesn't cure it. I'm betting a face covering of some sort, along the lines of what Animalcontrol describes would be a big help.
    I've also had the "more moisture than I'd like" inside my bedding covers (my quilts) than I would like. What's working so far for me is... on my Clark because I've got the Tropical one, at the head end it's not as sealed up as the NA Clark is (it's netting with a cover over it but it's really more open than closed) Still I was getting more condensation than I wanted. My over quilts had that clammy feel to them (in humid summer & freezing winter). I bought thin 100% silk and stiched it to the under side of my quilts. I measured it so that it extended about a foot longer out the head end. I use this to now cover my face when it's below freezing. Any moisture is captured by the silk and the silk dries very fast. When I'm packing up, if I leave my quilt to the last to pack, the silk is totally dry.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I've also had the "more moisture than I'd like" inside my bedding covers (my quilts) than I would like. What's working so far for me is... on my Clark because I've got the Tropical one, at the head end it's not as sealed up as the NA Clark is (it's netting with a cover over it but it's really more open than closed) Still I was getting more condensation than I wanted. My over quilts had that clammy feel to them (in humid summer & freezing winter). I bought thin 100% silk and stiched it to the under side of my quilts. I measured it so that it extended about a foot longer out the head end. I use this to now cover my face when it's below freezing. Any moisture is captured by the silk and the silk dries very fast. When I'm packing up, if I leave my quilt to the last to pack, the silk is totally dry.
    TinaLouise
    Thanks for the tip, that's something worth looking into...
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the top and bottom of the ultra that have the grey pertex seem more h2o resistent, but i doubt the rest (blue) is
    I just put the Ultra in the sink, made a little depression in the blue part and put some water in it...beaded up just like it's supposed to. I let it sit for a couple hours and then dumped the water out. It ran right off and I couldn't see where any material had wetted out. Not that it can't wet out if it has moisture on it all night...but even the blue part is very resistant, IMO.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast