Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member Triptease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    539
    Images
    1

    Descender Rings and Amsteel

    I have been thinking about changing out my suspension method on my new WBBB from the stock line to 1/8" Amsteel and descender rings with a marlinspike hitch at the tree. My concern is that the Amsteel might be too slippery to hold in the descender rings. I plan to add a stopknot behind the rings once it is set up, but wasn't sure if it would be enough.

    Does anyone else have experience using descender rings to adjust their hammocks and use Amsteel that they can report back and let me know if it is OK?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member E.A.Y.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rescue, CA
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB winter
    Insulation
    Crowsnest UQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Depends
    Posts
    897
    Images
    66
    I have done several test hangs and a handful of overnights and have had no problem with a clove hitch in Amsteel holding on to the SMC descender rings.
    I think I am using 1/8" but right now I can't recall.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Triptease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    539
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post
    I have done several test hangs and a handful of overnights and have had no problem with a clove hitch in Amsteel holding on to the SMC descender rings.
    I think I am using 1/8" but right now I can't recall.
    I was planning on using the garda hitch method in GrizzlyAdam's video. It is at 5:00 on his video.

    A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension Part II : Cord

  4. #4
    Senior Member E.A.Y.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rescue, CA
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB winter
    Insulation
    Crowsnest UQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Depends
    Posts
    897
    Images
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    I was planning on using the garda hitch method in GrizzlyAdam's video. It is at 5:00 on his video.

    A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension Part II : Cord
    OK, don't know how that'd work but that's a cool hitch. Seems to me (and this is a late night wild (ahem) guess) that the garda hitch is wrapped like a clove hitch is wrapped (just wraps, no knots) so I suppose they'd hold kind of the same in the same kind of rope.

    I've based my suspension on the SLS sticky thread with the addition of whoopie slings on the ends of the suspension.

    And what are we doing up so late, anyway?

  5. #5
    Senior Member animalcontrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB D1.1, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    2,515
    Images
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post
    And what are we doing up so late, anyway?
    very Early here!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

  6. #6
    Senior Member hangnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, TN
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Posts
    1,715
    Images
    122
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=garda&page=9

    Try the link above to another thread about the garda hitch. You will need a stopper knot with the bare line. The stopper knots have a tendency to be pulled tight up against the rings making them harder to release negating the advantages of the garda hitch. It works better with covered line but will tear the cover over time. Works best with larger covered lines over 1/8".

  7. #7
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,448
    Images
    227
    I could be wrong, but I believe Grizz no longer uses a garda hitch with HM lines like Amsteel due to excessive pinching weakening the line.

    Here's another thread on knots in HM lines.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=12569
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  8. #8
    Senior Member Perkolady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NE GA
    Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Posts
    1,178
    Images
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    You will need a stopper knot with the bare line. The stopper knots have a tendency to be pulled tight up against the rings making them harder to release negating the advantages of the garda hitch. It works better with covered line but will tear the cover over time. Works best with larger covered lines over 1/8".
    For a little while, I tried my ULBA with this setup and found the same to be true. It got to be a hassle real quick for me, so I switched out to cinchbuckles.

  9. #9
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe Grizz no longer uses a garda hitch with HM lines like Amsteel due to excessive pinching weakening the line.

    Here's another thread on knots in HM lines.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=12569
    I've stopped using the garda hitch. I don't know that the line is weakened by the pinching, but I don't like the looks of the line after being pinched and I don't feel like being the experiment that finds that the line is weakened beyond the stresses I put on it!

    Safety-first Grizz

  10. #10
    Senior Member Albert Skye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    coastal B.C.
    Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    Posts
    378
    Imagine you were the rope...

    garda hitch warning

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •