Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 128
  1. #21
    Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Linville Gorge Wilderness
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    Great video Ken!




    Jerry
    Thanks Jerry, means a lot coming from a DIY guru like yourself!


    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Ken, that was a wonderful and very helpful video!

    ...A real 'scalp saver'! (I can stop scratching my head wondering now!)

    Thanks a bunch!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D+G View Post
    Thanks Ken.
    That makes it all very clear.

    We got one pair of WhoOpieSlings for Christmas.

    Your video helps convince my husband that he will want a pair.
    Thank you both. I'm glad it helps.

    Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

    "You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

  2. #22
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    thanks Ken. I've not shown any videos of me doing the bury stuff because, ah, I've been using a 2 inch yarn needle, and it ain't pretty. But after seeing you run your lines as pretty as you please, I'm heading to the music shop to buy me a guitar string.

    Kudos to Knotty for thinking through the "how do you thread this through the HH holes problem", and to you for showing it so clearly. Close to the top of my hammock projects is modifying my bezippered-so-with-new-life HH Explorer. You guys just wrote the script.

    Grizz

  3. #23
    Senior Member mtncmpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Posts
    444
    Great video Ken! You've saved me again! My fingers were getting sore and blistered from the soft melted rope (trying to keep the ends from unraveling) Now I know of a better way!

    About how long (diameter?) is the fixed eye end suggested to be for the WS to be used on the HH that Knotty suggested?
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

    www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

    www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

  4. #24
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post

    About how long (diameter?) is the fixed eye end suggested to be for the WS to be used on the HH that Knotty suggested?
    I am finding that a 5" fixed eye works out pretty well.

    However.... The fixed eye only has to be big enough to run the standing part of the line through it.
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

  5. #25
    Senior Member mtncmpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I am finding that a 5" fixed eye works out pretty well.

    However.... The fixed eye only has to be big enough to run the standing part of the line through it.
    Thanks opie!
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

    www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

    www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

  6. #26
    Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Linville Gorge Wilderness
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    thanks Ken. I've not shown any videos of me doing the bury stuff because, ah, I've been using a 2 inch yarn needle, and it ain't pretty. But after seeing you run your lines as pretty as you please, I'm heading to the music shop to buy me a guitar string.

    Kudos to Knotty for thinking through the "how do you thread this through the HH holes problem", and to you for showing it so clearly. Close to the top of my hammock projects is modifying my bezippered-so-with-new-life HH Explorer. You guys just wrote the script.

    Grizz
    Thanks Grizz. You'll like using the music wire. About .025 to .030 works well.
    Knotty's system for attaching works well too. I have one done with the the original knot pattern that I'll be going back and changing.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post
    Great video Ken! You've saved me again! My fingers were getting sore and blistered from the soft melted rope (trying to keep the ends from unraveling) Now I know of a better way!

    About how long (diameter?) is the fixed eye end suggested to be for the WS to be used on the HH that Knotty suggested?
    Hey Glen. I'm glad that will be of help to you. You inspired me to do it. Like Opie said, the size of the eye isn't really critical in this application. 1 inch or so and up should work fine. Hope to see you soon.

    Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

    "You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

  7. #27
    Senior Member TOB9595's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Flemington, NJ
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Posts
    788
    I just installed my WS on a HH Exped Deluxe and the vid made it so easy even I could do it.

    Next is on with fiddin round

    Thanks Ken
    Tom

  8. #28
    Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Linville Gorge Wilderness
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by TOB9595 View Post
    I just installed my WS on a HH Exped Deluxe and the vid made it so easy even I could do it.

    Next is on with fiddin round

    Thanks Ken
    Tom
    You're welcome Tom. I'm glad it helped. I followed the UCR/Whoopie discussions from day one, but the real thanks goes to all those guys who got it started and worked out the details. ZA206, Frawg, TeeDee and a number of others I can't think of at the moment. And Slowbro for his first tutorial. My personal thanks goes to all those folks!

    Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

    "You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

  9. #29
    Senior Member tlbj6142's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    192
    Great video. It just might be the first one I actually watched end-to-end. Most I can't make it through a few seconds without wanting to poke my eyes out.

    Did you "mark" and/or cut the outer layer of the cord as described in the Whoopie Sticky thread? I assume you did, but it wasn't shown in the video.

    MODERATORS: Please change the thread's title to something like "HH to Whoopie Conversion".

  10. #30
    Senior Member tbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Havertown, PA
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    Posts
    204
    Great video, very easy to understand and follow. Now I need to order some line .
    You guys are getting expensive. Hammocks, flies, whoopie slings, The Kelly Kettle on another thread . Where does it all stop.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •