not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    That's what happens when it snows in Houston- everybody panics and starts stocking up on Arctic level gear...in 2 yrs it will all be in their garage sales. (opportunity!)

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Lastnight didn't get as cold as I was hoping,,, 36 degrees....
    Anyway I have been messing with these sleepimg bags, and pads trying to come up with a basic, quick simple rig, that would keep me warm, with out a pad, under quilt, top cover, or all the extra stuff. I just wanted a plain hammock, a sleeping bag and a tarp.

I think I am there,. after several attemps with different pads, sleeping bags, 2 bags inside of each other, bags on top of each other, a super shelter, a dri duck skin, and numerous types of pads.

That Military Exteme bag is a bad a$$ sleeping bag. The intermeadiate bag was good the othernight, but the Extreme bag way excedes it.

Yes it is heavy and not for back packing, but I am a "Pound Hog"

Lastnight, using it without any pad, and top cover and no type of under quilt turned out great. I still want to try it when it is colder though.

Keepng with the saying of "insulate the body not the hammock", I dressed warm, 2 pair of socks, my work pants again, insulated bib coveralls, a t-shirt and a long johns top, a fleece jacket, knit cap, and one more jacket for good measure.

The night started of well, cold and rain.
    By 3 am I had to shed both jackets, several times through out the night, I had to unzip it was just to warm.

Not one time did I feel a cold spot when my arms or legs would touch the sides like I would feel when using the traditional sleeping bags.
    Finally I started to feel a cool sensation on my butt, keep in mind that this is a used sleeping bag. After sliding the fleece jacket down under my butt all was well again.

Granted these were not extreme conditions, little wind and not freezing temps, I think this is a good sign. The basics, hammock, and sleeping bag set up.
    Last edited by Randy; 12-30-2009 at 13:40.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I had been sleeping outside the last few nights in my hammock and recognized the sound of the CG helicopter off in a distance.

As I layed there, I was just hoping all would turn out ok...Here I was snuggled warm in a sleeping bag, And just thinking of what was going on a few miles away.

http://www.easttexasnews.com/Sanjac/...9/story16.html

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Lastnight didn't get as cold as I was hoping,,, 36 degrees....
    Anyway I have been messing with these sleepimg bags, and pads trying to come up with a basic, quick simple rig, that would keep me warm, with out a pad, under quilt, top cover, or all the extra stuff. I just wanted a plain hammock, a sleeping bag and a tarp.

I think I am there,. after several attemps with different pads, sleeping bags, 2 bags inside of each other, bags on top of each other, a super shelter, a dri duck skin, and numerous types of pads.

That Military Exteme bag is a bad a$$ sleeping bag. The intermeadiate bag was good the othernight, but the Extreme bag way excedes it.

Yes it is heavy and not for back packing, but I am a "Pound Hog"

Lastnight, using it without any pad, and top cover and no type of under quilt turned out great. I still want to try it when it is colder though.

Keepng with the saying of "insulate the body not the hammock", I dressed warm, 2 pair of socks, my work pants again, insulated bib coveralls, a t-shirt and a long johns top, a fleece jacket, knit cap, and one more jacket for good measure.

The night started of well, cold and rain.
    By 3 am I had to shed both jackets, several times through out the night, I had to unzip it was just to warm.

Not one time did I feel a cold spot when my arms or legs would touch the sides like I would feel when using the traditional sleeping bags.
    Finally I started to feel a cool sensation on my butt, keep in mind that this is a used sleeping bag. After sliding the fleece jacket down under my butt all was well again.

Granted these were not extreme conditions, little wind and not freezing temps, I think this is a good sign. The basics, hammock, and sleeping bag set up.
    I have an extra extreme cold weather bag that I take extreme joy in loaning to people when buddies need a cold weather bag for a trip. I love watching them trying figure out how they are going to pack that inside their little packs.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Ima "Pound Hog"

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    "Finally I started to feel a cool sensation on my butt, keep in mind that this is a used sleeping bag. After sliding the fleece jacket down under my butt all was well again."

I think you're on to something, here. As has been noted elsewhere, fleece isn't compressable. It continues to provide a measure of insulation, even when you lie on it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    *Disclaimer*
    Weight-weenies need not apply!

Randy continues to impress me with what he finds, how cheap it is, and how well it works...for pound hogs. Count me as a pound hog, too!

Randy found the source for the USGI Extreme bag in Houston and we wiped them out of stock!

Talked to Randy Wednesday afternoon after his test. He was able to provide the details of the experiment and it impressed me with its simplicity. Since it was good news, I decided to give my Extreme bag a test last night up at SFA SP. Worked like a champ! He's right: I came out of that bag several times during the night begging for the cold air so I could cool off. It was VERY toasty!

According to UncleMJM's new digital thermometer it got down to 46*.

Randy should be able to test the Extreme bag again tonight. I'm sure he'll post results.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Any chance you boys might have overbought for the Coastal Bend?

Just a thought...

I think I'm gonna try the intermediate model.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

sounds like you need to try this one out next:

http://www.omahas.com/product_info.p...b9ukuf98ll6e87

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
    sounds like you need to try this one out next:

http://www.omahas.com/product_info.p...b9ukuf98ll6e87

Yep. That's the one me and Randy got the other day. It's definitely EXTREME!

(Counselor - sorry we missed each other at SFA SP. Feel better soon!)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast