Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images

Wildlife while hammocking

So I was sitting here reminiscing about my last overnighter and wondered what others have experianced. On the morning after our first night out my cousin said he saw a small animal tooling around near the other guy sleeping on the ground. He is a Bear Gryls fan and really wanted to rough it.As it turned out it rained all night and his leanto wasn't very water resistant and he ended up under my tarp. Anyways, have any of you guys ever had any wildlife snoop around your rig, maybe bump into your hammock? Lets get a thread goin an enjoy all the tales.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I had an opossum walk right under my Hennessy years ago. That really made me smile. Not the sort of thing that can happen to a tenter.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Folks that report critters in camp are usually in an established camp site.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Folks that report critters in camp are usually in an established camp site.
    Actually, all of my critter encounters in camp (the opossum, a bobcat, two bears, and a million deer and chipmunks) have been in the backcountry, and often not even near a trail. Only the bears were interested in my food, and that's why the food is now hung out of earshot. I agree that you're likely to see obnoxious wildlife in established sites, but I also think that if you pick a spot in the trackless woods you're more likely to plop yourself into the middle of the routines of other wildlife. The bobcat acted like she had a den very near my hammock. I was in her territory, but not aware of her territorial markers.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Actually, all of my critter encounters in camp (the opossum, a bobcat, two bears, and a million deer and chipmunks) have been in the backcountry, and often not even near a trail. Only the bears were interested in my food, and that's why the food is now hung out of earshot. I agree that you're likely to see obnoxious wildlife in established sites, but I also think that if you pick a spot in the trackless woods you're more likely to plop yourself into the middle of the routines of other wildlife. The bobcat acted like she had a den very near my hammock. I was in her territory, but not aware of her territorial markers.
    Hope you got a real good look at the bobcat, there pretty rare, at least around here. Its great to see cats in the wild. I'm new to hanging so no wildlife yet but had a grizzly nosing around my tent yrs ago. I didn't know it was a grizz unlit morning and i had a look at the tracks. Then i reflected on having smacked it in the nose through the wall of the tent.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away. ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

This summer I stayed in Yellowstone National park for a couple nights in the hammock. I hate being in the campgrounds, but didn't have enough time to get a wilderness permit to go into the back country.

Needless to say, there are a ton of buffalo in the park and a lot at most of the camp grounds. I woke up to a really large bull deciding to debark the grove of trees I was hanging from. I can say that was the fastest I have ever taken down a hammock and tarp.

The bull ended up moving on to some more trees and terrorized a few other campers before heading back out. I have been around buffalo countless times, but haven't been in a hammock when one decided to play with my trees.

I took a picture of the old boy as he head off into the neighbors campsite. The entire family was trapped inside their tent while he shredded the tree outside of their door.

DG
    Last edited by BlackGoat; 01-04-2010 at 10:38. Reason: added picture

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Last edited by millarky; 01-04-2010 at 06:55. Reason: wrong
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    Warbonet Traveler
    Tarp
    Golite 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQ "Lost River"
    Suspension
    Warbonet Straps
    Images
    No wildlife encounters while in my hammock. A few when I was in a tent, but that's another life. I have noticed MORE wild life now that I'm hanging because of the better views. Definitely more birds......and clouds shaped like birds.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I had something come by my camp back in August on my first solo trip. I still don't know what it was, but it was snorting, grunting and sneezing by my hammock at 3 in the morning.
    Chris

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    On the ground, my wife has had skunks wander up to her under a tarp or in a tent on at least 4 occasions, hence her trail name, Sleeps With Skunks.

I've had a possum curl up at my feet under an overhang at Mammoth Cave NP.

I've known deer to wonder around camp frequently at night. Last month on the Pinhoti Trail, a coyote came sniffing around my camp kitchen as well.