Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    40
    Images
    11

    Question re: RayWay Quilt

    Well I put together two Rick Frost "Neat Frost" Pads (http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStay...atFrostPad.pdf ) using my wife's sewing machine and managed to not sew my fingers to them so I am going to attack my RayWay Quilt. For those who have put one together already (and even those who haven't) do you see any need to attach the draft stopper? I intend to only use it in my hammock. It may save an ounce or so if I don't put it on. In talking this out to myself, I guess I could always sew it on and if I don't like or need it, I can cut if off later.

  2. #2
    Senior Member blackbishop351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Posts
    1,564
    Images
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by dsshepard View Post
    Well I put together two Rick Frost "Neat Frost" Pads (http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStay...atFrostPad.pdf ) using my wife's sewing machine and managed to not sew my fingers to them so I am going to attack my RayWay Quilt. For those who have put one together already (and even those who haven't) do you see any need to attach the draft stopper? I intend to only use it in my hammock. It may save an ounce or so if I don't put it on. In talking this out to myself, I guess I could always sew it on and if I don't like or need it, I can cut if off later.
    Depending on what you're using for bottom insulation, the insulated portion of your top quilt could be quite narrow. IMO you won't need much insulation around the sides where your bottom insulation covers already - just put the draft stoppers there to keep stray cold air out.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

  3. #3
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    if i were making one, i be tempted to put it on, then like you said, if you decide you don't need it, you can cut it off.
    i got careless when sewing my ray way quilt & made the draft stopper & the quilt it's self more narrow than i had planed.
    on some of those cold winter nights i have wished both were a little wider when i rolled & felt the cold air<g>. ...tim
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  4. #4
    Senior Member blackbishop351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Posts
    1,564
    Images
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    if i were making one, i be tempted to put it on, then like you said, if you decide you don't need it, you can cut it off.
    i got careless when sewing my ray way quilt & made the draft stopper & the quilt it's self more narrow than i had planed.
    on some of those cold winter nights i have wished both were a little wider when i rolled & felt the cold air<g>. ...tim
    Good point, Tim. I keep forgetting that I'm the only one who's comfortable not to move when I'm in my hammock Since I don't roll over or stretch much, I don't need the extra width. Of course, even with movement allowed, I think Ray's width estimation methods are more designed for ground sleeping. At least 5" wider than it needs to be IMO.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

  5. #5
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Good point, Tim. I keep forgetting that I'm the only one who's comfortable not to move when I'm in my hammock Since I don't roll over or stretch much, I don't need the extra width. Of course, even with movement allowed, I think Ray's width estimation methods are more designed for ground sleeping. At least 5" wider than it needs to be IMO.
    could be wider than needed. i haven't compared that closely.
    but i would lean toward ending up w/ a few extra inches rather than not enough. very little weight difference in a little extra width, but if a quilt ends up being to narrow (especially when it gets cold) and a person keeps feeling that cold air every time he/she moves, they would probably wish they had left those extra ozs in tact
    you do have a good point about not being un-necessarily wide, but i just wanted to stress the importance of not overdoing it
    you need enough on the sides to stay tucked when you move.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    40
    Images
    11
    Thanks for all the comments, I should be starting at least laying everything out today. I am going to go ahead and include the draft stopper.

  7. #7
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    I think that's a good choice. It'll at least stop the drafts if you turn at all.


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    I am good with 48" wide so far. I have no had the chance to try it out in cold weather, but I think I will be fine.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

  9. #9
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    one thing to think about on the width is how well it will reach & stay tucked if you sometimes like to lay on your side in the fetal position w/ knees pulled up. that may need a few more inches.
    and on my next quilt (both top & under quilts) i will be making the shell conciderably wider than the liner to avoid insulation compression.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Good point. At some point I want to make a pea pod or insulated hammock. I think either would give good side insulation and allow a smaller top quilt. This would have to be tested a lot to make though.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •