Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Which Brand to buy

I am new at hammock camping and have seen many types and brands of hammocks! I want to get a hammock for backpacking but do'nt want to spend alot of money. I do go with my daughter alot so the tent I have is the way to go bot I do hike by myself also. Any ideas on what kind to get?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slongenberger View Post
    I am new at hammock camping and have seen many types and brands of hammocks! I want to get a hammock for backpacking but do'nt want to spend alot of money. I do go with my daughter alot so the tent I have is the way to go bot I do hike by myself also. Any ideas on what kind to get?
    If you can sew or know someone who does, a homemade hammock would be your cheapest option. You'd also have to have some kind of bugnet in the warmer months. Not needed in colder weather.
    I have both Speer and Hennessy hammocks. I think they are both great.
    The best all in one set-up IMO without upgrading to better tarp or anything is probably the new Speer hammock. It is a foot longer than before at 9' and the new cat cut tarp looks really nice. It is $200 though.
    You could scan ebay for deals on a hennessy hammock and e-mail hennessy and ask for their demo/sale list.
    Dont know if it is still for sale but this is a great price if it fits your size:
    www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25214
    Trek light and Eno hammocks are lower priced options also.
    Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 06-20-2007 at 20:08.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, what fanaticfringer said is on the money. if you wanted to try a home made hammock two good places to check out for instruction & pictures would be rick's & jeff's sites.
    http://www.imrisk.com/
    http://www.tothewoods.net/
    and welcome to hammock forums Slongenberger. ...tim
    Last edited by slowhike; 06-20-2007 at 21:17.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Homemade is cheapest option. I did Risk's test hammock with 11 ft of material in about 10 minutes. I could have slept comforatably in that hammock without any problem.

If you go with a pre-made hammock, look for one made of woven nylon or poly, 55+" wide and without stablizer bars. There are cheaper models that fit these criteria mentioned in several threads on this site.

I'm not a fan of the bottom-loading Hennesey as a first hammock because the design makes under-insulation harder to accomplish IMO.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post

I'm not a fan of the bottom-loading Hennesey as a first hammock because the design makes under-insulation harder to accomplish IMO.
    FD, etal,

Don't forget the entire family of standard size JRB quilts lash right up to the HH as welll as all the top loaders.... The JRB Suspension System allows them to be pushed aside for entry and automatically return to proper postion when ones legs are pulled into the HH.....For those seeking the ultimate in comfort and convience in under insulation for HH the JRB Nest UQ marries right to the HH entrance slit... could not be easier.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    FD, etal,

Don't forget the entire family of standard size JRB quilts lash right up to the HH as welll as all the top loaders.... The JRB Suspension System allows them to be pushed aside for entry and automatically return to proper postion when ones legs are pulled into the HH.....For those seeking the ultimate in comfort and convience in under insulation for HH the JRB Nest UQ marries right to the HH entrance slit... could not be easier.

Pan
    Ah, never one to miss the sale. Seriously, I've never heard anything bad about the JRB stuff. It's a good thing to have some of the folks who make all this cool gear here to make suggestions, give advice etc.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    \
    Is that a paid advertisement?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post

he does that a lot on here

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Well, it's valuable information either way.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Well, it's valuable information either way.
    True enough. If I was going to buy a piece of gear, I'd like to be able to talk to someone who knows about it first. Who better than one and/or both of the owners of the company?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast