Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I'll let you guys choose the place. My friend and I are itching just to see some of the spots we would not know about unless anyone told us. I'm trying to think of dates. I think I can work in the an overnight the first weekend. The plan is to ride around 6000 km in 30 days so I can't spend too much time in one place.

I'll talk with my friend coming with me tomorrow and let everyone know what we come up with for dates. Can anyone make it during the week?

Unless anyone is up for moving it to Tazmania. The plan is to head out of Sydney towards there and spend a couple extra days there.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I'd consider joining this illustrious group if it weren't for the Tiger snakes and the brown snakes!
    Dont forget about the spiders...

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I'll let you guys choose the place. My friend and I are itching just to see some of the spots we would not know about unless anyone told us. I'm trying to think of dates. I think I can work in the an overnight the first weekend. The plan is to ride around 6000 km in 30 days so I can't spend too much time in one place.
    Coffee, having seen your route in the other thread, It looks like you're riding down the Hume Highway into Mexico before your Tasmanian adventure. Heading into the Blue Mountains or down to the Royal National Park would be off-route for you guys and burn time. Based on this, I'd probably advise that south of Sydney would be best for the mini-hang.

That leaves The Nattai valley and Morton National Park for an overnighter, which, quite conveniently, are both very close to where I am (Southern Highlands) Also, you'd have somewhere secure to tie up the steel horses and dump packs while we're gone.

Any thoughts from the other Sydneysiders?

Opie and MedicineMan, Australia is far safer than the US and Canada. We don't have any critters on land that will eat you.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mclmm View Post
    Opie and MedicineMan, Australia is far safer than the US and Canada. We don't have any critters on land that will eat you.
    I hear ya gots lots of critters that cause a fair amount of pain, though!!

Not trying to Diss AUS. Its the only place outside the US I want to visit someday.

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I hear ya gots lots of critters that cause a fair amount of pain, though!!.
    LOL, where there is that...

Eastern Brown snakes, King Brown snakes, Tiger snakes, Red-Belly Black snakes, Yellow-Belly Black snakes, Death Adders, Taipans... all are potentially fatal hazards when out bush along with funnel-web spiders and other assorted multi-legged critters.

I've encountered all of these in the wild at some point during my travels, but seeing them in person did not make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck as much as these two photos of copperheads posted here on HF by swoosh -

WTF? These things just sit there on the trail? At least our snakes stay hidden and bugger-off for the most part as you approach.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    It's a shame it's so far for me to come and join you.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mclmm View Post
    Coffee, having seen your route in the other thread, It looks like you're riding down the Hume Highway into Mexico before your Tasmanian adventure. Heading into the Blue Mountains or down to the Royal National Park would be off-route for you guys and burn time. Based on this, I'd probably advise that south of Sydney would be best for the mini-hang.

That leaves The Nattai valley and Morton National Park for an overnighter, which, quite conveniently, are both very close to where I am (Southern Highlands) Also, you'd have somewhere secure to tie up the steel horses and dump packs while we're gone.

Any thoughts from the other Sydneysiders?

I should have added my route is not set in stone. Just a general outline. I'm open to fun detours. We figured we will need to average 400 km a day over 20 days for the distance. And we have 33 or 34 days not including travel.

I was hoping to talk around the fire with you guys and a map to help fill in some of the details. I usually try and ask the locals where ever I go on places to see.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    It's a shame it's so far for me to come and join you.
    I'll be in your area around March 18 give or take if your up for a beer.

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images

Mini Hang Countdown

OK guys, time is getting away from us here, with only a couple of weeks until Coffee and his mate lob into Sydney for the start of their Antipodean Adventure.

Coffee, because I'm only about an hour and a bit south of Sydney by vehicle, what are your movements once you guys are in-country? Hanging around in the Big Smoke for a couple of days or are you going to get going as soon as you get the steel horses? We can then work out dates and timings.

Assuming that the mini-hang will be held in the second week of Feb or thereabouts, who else is putting their name down for an overnighter?

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    I would love to but I will be in New Zealand doing a trekk and wont be back untill Feb 19th. I hope that I can still catch up.
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast