Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 92
  1. #11
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    Thanks headchange
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

  2. #12
    SmokeBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Defiance, Missouri
    Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Posts
    1,505
    Opie, is the silicone tubing on these resistant to the effects of freezing temps? In your "Anyone interested" thread you mention a tubing that is not affected by cold. Just curious if it on these. Thanks!

    stumo

  3. #13
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by stumo View Post
    Opie, is the silicone tubing on these resistant to the effects of freezing temps? In your "Anyone interested" thread you mention a tubing that is not affected by cold. Just curious if it on these. Thanks!

    stumo
    Yep, this is it. It kept its elastic properties down to -5. Im sure itll go lower, but -5 was what my freezer went down to. Specs say its gets brittle at -100.
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

  4. #14
    Senior Member TiredFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    MD
    Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,100
    Images
    34
    Don't know exactly what silicone tubing you are using, but I was curious about the properties of silicone tubing and so checked McMaster-Carr.

    With a 3x stretch capability and an operating temperature range of -80 to +425 F, it will definitely exceed any temperatures I would be likely to encounter. I'll bet even Turk would be reluctant to venture out in the low temperature range the high purity silicone tubing is capable of.

  5. #15
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Don't know exactly what silicone tubing you are using, but I was curious about the properties of silicone tubing and so checked McMaster-Carr.

    With a 3x stretch capability and an operating temperature range of -80 to +425 F, it will definitely exceed any temperatures I would be likely to encounter. I'll bet even Turk would be reluctant to venture out in the low temperature range the high purity silicone tubing is capable of.
    TF, Its trademarked as Silcon from NewAge Industries.... Looks to be, at least where I got it from, marketed for the medical industry.
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

  6. #16
    SmokeBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Defiance, Missouri
    Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Posts
    1,505
    Awesome! BTW, I get brittle long before -100 so these should be MORE than adequate.

    stumo

    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Yep, this is it. It kept its elastic properties down to -5. Im sure itll go lower, but -5 was what my freezer went down to. Specs say its gets brittle at -100.

  7. #17
    dejoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    2,226
    Images
    207
    Opie, this is a great idea! I'm going to have to save up some more quarters because I like your style.

  8. #18
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by stumo View Post
    Awesome! BTW, I get brittle long before -100 so these should be MORE than adequate.

    stumo
    I get brittle at around 20.

    I work outdoors no matter the weather... So I refuse to camp when its cold...

    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Opie, this is a great idea! I'm going to have to save up some more quarters because I like your style.
    Thanks dejoha....
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

  9. #19
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,448
    Images
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Its all Zing It.

    Right now I believe the prusik bites enough to not have to worry about more bite. I like the idea that it will slip if to much tension is achieved. Also... You can add another wrap or two to the prusik if you want.

    30 pounds is quite a bit of force. The Green Thera Band produces almost 10 pounds of force stretching 4 inches to 12.

    Also.. the spliced ends is my thing... And even though Im not a gram weenie, others are. I think the weight penalty of 3mm cord over the 1.75 isnt worth it.
    I hear ya opie. Was throwing out the 3mm idea more as a suggestion than a criticism (which I believe is how you took it). Like you, I tend to find myself using Zing-it even when the strength isn't needed. Just love all the hollow core braids for their splice-ability.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  10. #20
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I hear ya opie. Was throwing out the 3mm idea more as a suggestion than a criticism (which I believe is how you took it). Like you, I tend to find myself using Zing-it even when the strength isn't needed. Just love all the hollow core braids for their splice-ability.
    No offense taken. I didnt see it as a criticism.. just an idea.

    I too, enjoy splicing. Im always on the lookout, now, for something new.
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •