Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Possible cheap down underquilt or top quilt

I'm new to this so I'm not sure if this would be a good deal but thought I would put it out there. I can't afford it but thought if it was a good deal, maybe I could make up for all the great information I gleam from the site. Today only, with this link, you get at least 50% off any thing at sierra trading post. They have a marmot semi-rectangular down sleeping bag that is rated at 40 degrees. It is 1 lb. 15 oz. 600 fill. Since it is semi retangular, I thought it might be easier to make an underquilt. With the link, it makes it only $82.50.

http://email.sierratradingpost.com/t...om&kc=YJJ0388W

Follow link then search for marmot sleeping bag. I hope it helps and is a good deal. By the way, thanks to everyone for the great information on this site. I just graduated from a nursing program so I am broke, but as soon as I get a job, I'm donating to the site and putting a setup together. I lived in Brazil and slept on many hammocks and think it is the only way to go.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Welcome Wander....errrr.....WFaN

Others will answer better than I can on this
    Tom

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Good deal! I'll bet that with some sewing skill you could remove the zipper and trim the width down to the usual UQ (or TQ size). Should come in at about 24 oz. Not an UL, but great value for $90 (w/shipping).
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Welcome aboard! I know a lot of people here think Brazilian hammocks are the most comfortable indoor replacement for a mattress. Hopefully you'll be hanging indoors and out before too long.

Thanks for the STC link - special deals are always good. It actually says 20% off when I click on it, but that's OK, I'm not shopping today anyway.

When you're ready to invest in an underquilt yourself how low do you want it to take you? I've made a few neatsheet-microfoam UQs with a finished cost of something like $10. They've kept me really comfortable down to about 50 degrees. The first link is a really great tutorial about how to make a plain NS quilt, the second touches on adding microfoam between the neat sheet layers, which adds 10-15 degrees of warmth.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1860

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=deere

If you want an UQ for colder temps and know someone with a sewing machine, this is a pretty easy and inexpensive option:

http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I've got my material to sew my first hammock, and your links might be good ways to get my first UQ vitamaltz. Sorry the link didn't work for you, it does for me but it is also from my email so that might be part of it. Sorry TOB9595 for the long username. I'm use to being called all kinds of things, so I will probably respond to whatever name you put down.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Vita,
    check upper rt corner for 50% off
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

• + New Posts