Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,596
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    I'm surprised no one has made one of these yet. With all of the DIYers on this site, is everyone afraid to bend some steel? Wouldn't take any welding. Just set up a jig to bend the tubing, then get some u-bolts and attach it to the bottom legs and you are done. Put an eye bolt in the top of each upright for hanging. Actually, this would probably be pretty cheap. Just buy the tubing and pay a machine shop to put the two bends in it for you to save the hassle. A lot of places have pipe benders like muffler shops, motorcycle shops, repair shops, and metal fabrication places. You could ask them how much to do it. You could also probably rent a manual pipe bender from a tool store.
    i've thought about doing one w/ metal tubing, but not sure about the best way to secure the cross pieces/legs on bottom.
    what did you have in mind... drill two holes in the cross piece for the u bolt to go through?
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  2. #22
    Senior Member Just Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    8,012
    Images
    32
    This Byer uses bolts to attach the cross-pieces. It comes disassembled and you have to put it together with a wrench. There are a few welded parts but you could probably work around that for a DIY version.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

    - My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

    IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

  3. #23
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    I'm surprised no one has made one of these yet. With all of the DIYers on this site, is everyone afraid to bend some steel? Wouldn't take any welding. Just set up a jig to bend the tubing, then get some u-bolts and attach it to the bottom legs and you are done. Put an eye bolt in the top of each upright for hanging. Actually, this would probably be pretty cheap. Just buy the tubing and pay a machine shop to put the two bends in it for you to save the hassle. A lot of places have pipe benders like muffler shops, motorcycle shops, repair shops, and metal fabrication places. You could ask them how much to do it. You could also probably rent a manual pipe bender from a tool store.
    Sounds like someone just volunteered to post some directions after building a new metal stand.

  4. #24
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,596
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    This Byer uses bolts to attach the cross-pieces. It comes disassembled and you have to put it together with a wrench. There are a few welded parts but you could probably work around that for a DIY version.
    jeff or any one w/ this type stand... do the cross pieces attach w/ just one bolt per cross piece?
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  5. #25
    Senior Member Nest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    627
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i've thought about doing one w/ metal tubing, but not sure about the best way to secure the cross pieces/legs on bottom.
    what did you have in mind... drill two holes in the cross piece for the u bolt to go through?
    I was thinking of two u-bolts on each leg. The kind with a bracket on the back like how a backboard of a basket ball goal attaches to the pole. Take the two u-bolts and and kind of lash the poles together with them. Or you could drill two holes in the leg, and the u-bolt go over the main support pole, and through the two holes. That should be sturdy enough.

    I am thinking of one way that would be great, but don't know if I can explain it, but will try. Get 4 u-bolts with a flat piece that goes on the back of them like the basketball goal setup. The u-bolt goes over the pole, and the flat piece goes up against the other side, and the bolt goes into two holes in the flat piece. As you tighten the nuts the flat piece is drawn up against the pole and tightens it up. Well, put two u-bolts on each end of the main support pole. Put a leg between two of the bolts where you want it to attach. Then take a flat piece and put the end of one u-bolt though one of it's holes. Then put the end of the other u-bolt through the other hole. Should keep things flat.

    In the drawing the thick black lines are the u-bolts, and the small rectangles the are attached to on each ends are the flat pieces they connet to. Same concept used in a lot of backet ball goal, and they are very sturdy, yet easy to take down for transport.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Nest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    627
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Sounds like someone just volunteered to post some directions after building a new metal stand.
    I might make one, but not anytime soon. I just get the gears moving for others to do the hard work. When they discover what works and what doesn't, then I make one. No point in making mistakes on my own.

  7. #27
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,596
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    I was thinking of two u-bolts on each leg. The kind with a bracket on the back like how a backboard of a basket ball goal attaches to the pole. .
    ok, now i know what you're talking about.
    i don't know just how strong those rigs are, but it might just work... as long as it can grip the center piece strong enough to keep it from turning when you swing side to side.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  8. #28
    Senior Member Nest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    627
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    ok, now i know what you're talking about.
    i don't know just how strong those rigs are, but it might just work... as long as it can grip the center piece strong enough to keep it from turning when you swing side to side.
    Oh, good point. That slipped my mind. I wouldn't trust it then since it relies completely on friction. I just think a single bolt through the middle of both poles wouldn't hold. Maybe the bracket like I was talking about for overall strength, and a bolt or cotter pin through the middle of both for the swinging stability. Of course, it could grip the center piece enough by itself. Worth a try. After all, who hasn't taken a fall in the name of hammocking science?

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    jeff or any one w/ this type stand... do the cross pieces attach w/ just one bolt per cross piece?
    There are 4 total, 2 on each side on the main bar.

    I am planning on setting up my stand on a car camping trip this weekend. I'll try to get some good pics and post them if someone doesn't beat me to it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •