Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 229
  1. #1
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140

    Continuous Loop pictoral

    A member asked if I would post this... so here ya go. This is the same process I use for my Zing It prusiks, although the measurements are a bit shorter.














    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Beaver Co. , PA
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Posts
    258
    Images
    1
    is your splicing tool just a wire coat hanger? i saved like 25 of those because they come in handy for so many things.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    winston salem nc
    Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Posts
    317
    Images
    3
    Thanks opie.

    I made one wrong...didn't lock it the way you are and the bury pulled out. Now i get it!

    Thanks!

    cooldays

  4. #4
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by ref103 View Post
    is your splicing tool just a wire coat hanger? i saved like 25 of those because they come in handy for so many things.
    No, wire coat hanger is to thick.

    I dont know the thickness of the wire Im using, but doubled over like it is its about the thickness of a coat hanger.
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

  5. #5
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    Thanks opie.

    I made one wrong...didn't lock it the way you are and the bury pulled out. Now i get it!

    Thanks!

    cooldays
    One of the key parts.. and I think is very important... When you start your buries, you need to have your splicing tool exit as close to the lock as possible. So when you pull the tail through, there isnt enough exposed line between the lock and the bury entrance for something to snag it out.

    Technically, its not a lock.... But it does prevent the tails from easily being pulled out.

    EDIT: Need to learn how to spell.
    Last edited by opie; 01-20-2010 at 20:34.
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Beaver Co. , PA
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Posts
    258
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    No, wire coat hanger is to thick.

    I dont know the thickness of the wire Im using, but doubled over like it is its about the thickness of a coat hanger.
    thanks. that's a good reference to know. i've been wondering about that for a while. i can find something at work.

  7. #7
    Senior Member tlbj6142's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    192
    I was that member, thanks. Excellent work, again!
    Yellow Jacket

  8. #8
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by ref103 View Post
    thanks. that's a good reference to know. i've been wondering about that for a while. i can find something at work.
    If I had to make an educated guess, Id say its 16 or 18 gauge. Might even be 14.

    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    I was that member, thanks. Excellent work, again!
    My pleasure and good luck with the 1.75!
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

  9. #9
    Senior Member tlbj6142's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    My pleasure and good luck with the 1.75!
    I just made a loop, 3.5" long (~7" circumference). I took 12" of 1.75mm Zing-It and marked off 2" buries (last ~1/2" tapered)**. It was fairly easy to do, but I need a narrower gauge tool (the wire I'm using is 20 guage). It is great for 7/64" Amsteel, but it is a bit too tight for 1.75mm stuff.



    **It looks like I lost nearly an inch in the process, I assume that's due to the fact that the cord was fairly tight (right off the spool) when I measure the 12" combined with the length lost due to "expansion" around the two 2" buries.
    Yellow Jacket

  10. #10
    Senior Member opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    I just made a loop, 3.5" long (~7" circumference). I took 12" of 1.75mm Zing-It and marked off 2" buries (last ~1/2" tapered)**. It was fairly easy to do, but I need a narrower gauge tool (the wire I'm using is 20 guage). It is great for 7/64" Amsteel, but it is a bit too tight for 1.75mm stuff.



    **It looks like I lost nearly an inch in the process, I assume that's due to the fact that the cord was fairly tight (right off the spool) when I measure the 12" combined with the length lost due to "expansion" around the two 2" buries.
    20 gauge is what I use on the Zing It. Works well. Yeah its a little on the large size, but 22 gauge is way to flexible.

    Thanks to OldGringo, I have some spectra braided fishing line splicing tools on the way. Should make the 1.75 splices eaiser.
    I am not a gram weenie. , But Im starting to see the merits!!!

    Kris' Splicing

    Kris on Facebook

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •