Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    How's that? If I have to pull my tie-outs with 25# of force, does it matter if it is coming from a Prusik or a 'biner?
    I meant the stress on the stitching of the tarp has more stress by not using a ridgeline since that 25# of force is on the ridgeline rope instead of tarp stiching.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    My tarp suspension and hammock suspension are one. The structural ridgeline above the tarp is also what I hang my hammock from. The tarp is attached to the ridgeline with bungees so there is tension on it, but not nearly as much as there is on the ridgeline. To set up, I attach the tree-huggers at each end and pull it taut. The tarp is already attached, in its snakeskin. If its raining I spread the tarp, then attach the hammock to the biners in the ridgeline at either end of the tarp (actually, about a foot beyond the end of the tarp to leave room for the tarp bungees). The tarp + hammock suspension is the first thing I set up and it's the last thing I take down. Because there is a foot of bungee at each end of the tarp, I can clip it high to the ridgeline with a minibiner to give enough headroom to walk around under it, or I can use the mininbiner to pull the tarp down to the hammock support rope (lowers the whole tarp 8 to 10 inches) for storm protection.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I recently switched to the ridgeline-over-the-tarp and I like it better than a line on each end of the tarp because:

It is super simple to adjust the tarp so it is actually over my hammock. No matter how many times I set up, no matter if I put hammock up first or tarp up first, I always end up fussing around with the relative placement of hammock and tarp. I have long hammocks that are just barely shorter than my tarps, so that is a factor also. And I think I just am fairly fussy.
    I just haul on the ridgeline until it is quite tight, then worry about moving my tarp to the right place. Eliminated a lot of my wandering back and forth between two trees tweaking everything until it was just so.

I find it is easier to use reef points (I suppose you'd call them) to contain the tarp when I want it out of the way than I found the net tubes I made ("reptile epidermis"). Also, I always found the tubes full of hammock quite awkward to pack, and the reefed tarp is easier for me to manage.

The reefing points and the extended ridgeline are slightly less weight than the mesh tubes. Not a deal breaker but a nice little benefit.
    -Liz -

Quote Originally Posted by sbmcghee View Post
    I meant the stress on the stitching of the tarp has more stress by not using a ridgeline since that 25# of force is on the ridgeline rope instead of tarp stiching.
    But you still have to connect the tarp's tie-outs tot he prusik knots. And, you'll use the same force as you would if those tie-outs were tied to a cord wrapped around a tree.
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    How's that? If I have to pull my tie-outs with 25# of force, does it matter if it is coming from a Prusik or a 'biner?
    point taken. However I think it does depend on how hard you crank the tension on the ridgeline. The tarp hanging from the ridgeline need not have the same level of tension on the tabs.

But put the tarp over that ridgeline, and not only do you definitely lessen the stress on the tarp tabs, but you get something to hang your smelly socks on under the tarp. Snake skins work somewhat more easily with this arrangement as well. The single downside is that you need to tie a couple of cotton shoe laces on the line for drip-lines, and remember to scoot them into position.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    But you still have to connect the tarp's tie-outs tot he prusik knots. And, you'll use the same force as you would if those tie-outs were tied to a cord wrapped around a tree.
    Not necessarily. Snug is sufficient.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Modified ENO Single
    Tarp
    DIY ???
    Insulation
    Quilt & Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    When y'all are using the 'ridgeline over tarp' method are you attaching the ridgeline around the trees and coming back for the connection or are you attaching them to the treehuggers?
    Some of my freight hopping adventures on film over at my YouTube Channel... Oh and there is other stuff there as well!

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Not necessarily. Snug is sufficient.
    But it is not sufficient with direct connections? If the tarp is loose, it is loose. How does the attachment mechanism affect it?
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Widerstand View Post
    When y'all are using the 'ridgeline over tarp' method are you attaching the ridgeline around the trees and coming back for the connection or are you attaching them to the treehuggers?
    Experience with attaching the HH tarp to suspension line shows that the ridgeline suspension can loosen considerably when the hammock is loaded.

However, geometry shows that if you are using a Marlin spike hitch close to the tree, just ain't no way for it to move very much and might make a mighty fine attachment point for a tarp.

haven't done it yet though, just theory so far.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Snug is sufficient...I agree....just how tight does one need a tarp to be? Find the weakest link in the system and that is your maximum for the system. Damage can occur when too much force is used. There is no need to be macho about the whole thing...just use what is needed and keep the plane flying. Maintenance guys like that part...keeps you from being the breaker and them being the fixer all of the time. And in this case you are goona' be both. Experiment a little and determine what is required and go with it. YMMV/HYOK

A ridgeline and Reefing lines are all about control and effecient use of the tarp.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast