Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk & ENO doubles
    Suspension
    JRB straptriglide
    Images
    I just sent a donation through paypal....Thanks for all that you are doing..
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracadruid View Post
    I just sent a donation through paypal....Thanks for all that you are doing..
    Thanks for the help Gracadruid! It makes such a huge difference to have all the help with this from so many great folks.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Donation thru paypal just sent. Use at your discretion as needed, Paul. Thanks for your time and efforts to maximize the benefits available to the Haitians.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Got it turtlelady! Thanks for the support.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    MYOG w/ warbonnet-whipping
    Tarp
    MYOG hex
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Images
    Yo Paul!
    Personal paypal thingy just sent! I think this would be more beneficial than me ordering fabric and then sending off the hammocks. This way, I can just include the $ that would be shipping costs and use it for more direct "hammocking benevolence"
    God bless!

cwayman1
    "The sea was angry that day, my friends! Like an old man... trying to send back soup at a deli!"

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Donation just sent through Paypal. Thanks for you all your work.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

bugnets

I have a stash of mosquito netting I picked up at a surplus store a while ago. This is a perfect use for it.

The netting is 6 feet wide. I took two ten foot lengths of this and sewed them together along the long edge, creating a rectangular piece that is twelve feet wide and ten feet long.
    I put in tabs to hold suspension cord. Two at each end, set in two feet from the edge, offset from the center seam by 16". Attached 10' of braided mason's line to each. Put in 3 ft long oak dowel rods
    that the net can hang from through the tabs, but they aren't necessary. Just means the net can hang from two attach points rather than four.
    bugnet.jpg

Then I sewed up the short edges. No fancy business with making a "box". This leaves a pocket of fabric kind of like the shelf in a Blackbird hammock. But simplicity was key. I ended up being able to make one of these in an hour, and had material enough for four nettings.
    IMG_1621.jpgIMG_1622.jpg

They are on their way to Global Embrace Missions now...
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    cwayman1 and dand76 thanks so much for the donation.

Grizz, excellent as usual, my friend. Great details and sketch up. I'm sure that will work awesome in Haiti.
    I like that you've 'tested' the netting. I do the same with the hammocks I'm doing. you know.. are they comfy and all.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

I'm thinking the "donation for fabric" will be better for most folks. Giving up your prized gear can be painful. I know the sentimental attachment I get for my gear. So this donation is a little less painful. And still goes to a great cause.

Spent last night putting together 8 hammocks from donated fabrics that I have recieved, so far. Working out really well.
    I felt a certain sense of accomplishment and satisfaction making my own hammock. This feeling I got is totally different.

sharing the hammock love.

I can't wait to see the little rascals snoozin' in their hammocks built with love.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm very excited to see so many people willing to help with Haiti. I have a friend (there now) who has made 15 trips to the island to help in various ways.

Sorry to say I see hammocks as having limited benefit in Haiti. A nurse friend of mine just returned and here are her photos: http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...3%3A1648254605
    The 11th pic in the slide show is the first one showing the grounds of an orphanage they were at. It's typical of other compounds I've seen; walled and very few trees.

The Haitians get good use out of poly tarps as these can be used to create tent cities with minimal additional resources. But installing sturdy posts in the ground to support many hammocks involves resources they may not have. They may also be tempted to attach hammocks to block walls that aren't strong enough.

A hammock is mostly a place to sleep comfortably but a tarp provides shelter for activities of daily life. Poly tarps are one of the most requested items right now.

I was hesitant to write this because of all the enthusiasm here but felt these points should be considered.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Part of the appeal of donating through this venue was that we were initially asked to help with a specific known need by the people directly involved who sought us out for our specific expertise. I assume she was knowledgeable as to what was needed. It may be that the orphanage we specifically were helping could also use tarps, too. Or maybe tyvek, and grommet kits. Do we have a way to get updated information from the young woman who contacted us? I have no problem with my donation being used however is best for the needs of that specific orphanage. Or to be dispersed by them where needed once their needs are met.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast