Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by soysos View Post
    ...as for the ICW it fits nice in a 10x20 sack, and has a double weight foot box. both bags are massive I am 6'1" and could swim in them.
    Interesting. I'm beginning to suspect that specs/contractors changed during the production run. Mine fits like a condom.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I have the ICW and the ECW and the Modular,,,,, mine are all on the 9 pound range,
    Bulk ,,, I see no difference.

I use been using the ECW over the rest,,,,,,,The ECW is just a bad a$$ sleeping bag for my needs and type of use.....

I have used all three in under 30 degree temps, ( a few nights in the teens) with no tarp, No under quilt, no top quilt, no super shelter, and heavy frost,,,
    I have used several different versions of pads,

and the ECW is the one for me.....
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    the cheapest thing I could find
    Tarp
    gi poncho
    Insulation
    mss
    Suspension
    braided cord
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Interesting. I'm beginning to suspect that specs/contractors changed during the production run. Mine fits like a condom.
    the ICW I'm talking about is a complete redesign, for the modular sleep system.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by soysos View Post
    the ICW I'm talking about is a complete redesign, for the modular sleep system.
    Would you mind posting a picture?

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    I just purchased 2 MSS from an ebay seller.

This thing might as well be new. It looks never issued. I carefully inspected each component for 1/2 hour and then weighed it - almost exactly 9.5 pounds (9lb 8.5oz).

I immediately ordered a second for my Fiancee.

The seller shipped from Florida and it got to Jersey in about 3 days or so (can't recall the exact purchase day (night?))

I paid $150 + $20 shipping for a total of $170 (each)

This is the person's ebay store:
    http://stores.ebay.com/id=78017195&s...RK:MEWAX:MESST

And this is a link to the item I purchased (he sells some in various conditions, the one I
    purchased was listed as "As close to new as you can get" or some such
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I'll post a full review once I have a chance to use it in some real cold. Looks like we're going to get some high winds and heavy snow in the next 3 days so perhaps that will be my chance =)

Hopefully never again will I be cold... (and never again will I be unencumbered )
    -Xex

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    XexorZ-

Could you weigh the individual components please?

A customer of mine just gave me his MMSS bivy and two intermediate bags from his time in the service. He was special forces, and their equipment varied from the norm sometimes. The intermediate bags weigh approx. 4 lbs. apiece. I slept out in 29 deg. with wind chill down to about 12. Mil. CCF pad, bivy, intermediate bag. Polartech 300 top, cotton pants, wool socks, polarfleece hood. Slept for 2 1/2 hrs. No chills. Woke up under 2 inches of snow and was still warm, went indoors. Pretty good, as far as I'm concerned.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dble
    Tarp
    BWWD v2
    Insulation
    Incubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchHook
    Images
    XexorZ I have an MSS, and mine has kept me warm every night I have spent out in my hammock with it. I used it both nights at the PB Hang. I was running the HH supershelter, and the MSS. I slept in polypro top and bottom, very thin cotton PJ bottoms,a UA winter weight top, wool socks and thin poly winter hat. I was very very very warm. I zippered the bivy sac and patrol bag up about 2/3rds of the way, and the black ICW bag up 90%. I think I probablly could have just slept in the polypro base layers, wool socks, hat and been fine. So far every night I have spent in a hammock have been sub 32* and I have been warm.

My cons for the MSS are it is HEAVY, and in a HH with out a zipper mod it is a bit of a pain in the butt to get into. You have to crawl into the hammock, slide the bag down, than into the bag than fight with the zippers. I have found that it is a bit easier if you cant the bag a bit. Instead of using it as a right hand zipper I have started to roll the zipper up onto the right hand side of my chest so it is easier to zip and adjust.

Once I get my Incubator I am going to do away with the HH SS and try the MSS as a top quilt since it has a built in foot box I think it will work.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    I like the mss bags snow, rain ,hot, cold its all good. The worst night I ever had in it was monsoon rain for Mob. training at Ft. Bliss. I slept high and dry that night. Though it did show what little I knew about Texas that night as the desert turned into an ocean with occasional islands of high ground, I never would have guessed.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images

MMSS US Modular Military Sleep System Weight by individual component

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    XexorZ-

Could you weigh the individual components please?

A customer of mine just gave me his MMSS bivy and two intermediate bags from his time in the service. He was special forces, and their equipment varied from the norm sometimes. The intermediate bags weigh approx. 4 lbs. apiece. I slept out in 29 deg. with wind chill down to about 12. Mil. CCF pad, bivy, intermediate bag. Polartech 300 top, cotton pants, wool socks, polarfleece hood. Slept for 2 1/2 hrs. No chills. Woke up under 2 inches of snow and was still warm, went indoors. Pretty good, as far as I'm concerned.

No problem.
    Weights taken on an el-cheapo postage scale but it has served me well in the past and should be within an ounce (my estimate)

All measurements were taken twice (two series after reset of scale) and were the same each time.

Remember - these weights are MY gear... YMMV

Compression Sack - 13.5oz (wow)
    BIVI (CAMO, WOODLAND)- 2lb 3oz
    PATROL (GREEN) BAG 2lb 7oz
    INTERMEDIATE (BLACK) BAG 4lb 1.5oz

SUM WEIGHT: 9lb 9oz
    WHEN WEIGHED AS A SYSTEM: 9lb 8.5oz (the discrepancy is due to compounded scale error and therefor this is likely the more accurate total)

I hope this helps!

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Ahh I wish I took more time to look at more people's setups... Oh well, next event

Sounds like I should be happy with this piece of kit. I'm unlikely to need the coldest bits for most of my outings so the weight shouldn't be too bad especially since I'm not a big distance hiker- but its great to know I won't freeze if SHTF...

Thanks for sharing your experience w/ this setup!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakeel View Post
    XexorZ I have an MSS, and mine has kept me warm every night I have spent out in my hammock with it. I used it both nights at the PB Hang. I was running the HH supershelter, and the MSS. I slept in polypro top and bottom, very thin cotton PJ bottoms,a UA winter weight top, wool socks and thin poly winter hat. I was very very very warm. I zippered the bivy sac and patrol bag up about 2/3rds of the way, and the black ICW bag up 90%. I think I probablly could have just slept in the polypro base layers, wool socks, hat and been fine. So far every night I have spent in a hammock have been sub 32* and I have been warm.

My cons for the MSS are it is HEAVY, and in a HH with out a zipper mod it is a bit of a pain in the butt to get into. You have to crawl into the hammock, slide the bag down, than into the bag than fight with the zippers. I have found that it is a bit easier if you cant the bag a bit. Instead of using it as a right hand zipper I have started to roll the zipper up onto the right hand side of my chest so it is easier to zip and adjust.

Once I get my Incubator I am going to do away with the HH SS and try the MSS as a top quilt since it has a built in foot box I think it will work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast