I like the pattern. I'm going to follow this on my next set, but still keep the single unit idea I'm currently using. Rather than two snake skins, I jsut have one long one.
I like big hammocks - I cannot like.
Just made a set and of the 2 pieces, one is the better of them LOL.
I have no way of knowing yet if they are the right size as Im still waiting on the BMJ to come in.
Once I can test it I will make a new piece to replace the gunky one
That's almost exactly what I did when I made my own "snake skins."
- I cut two pieces of black tulle into 6-foot lengths and 8-inches wide with no taper.
- At both ends, I sewed pieces of bias tape to create nice finished ends.
- On one end, I folded it six inches and sewed another piece of bias tape (creating a "new end") so that it overlapped itself.
- Then I folded it in half lengthwise (short overlapped end inside itself) and did a zig zag stitch the whole 5' 5" length.
- When finished, I turned it inside out and ended up with a similar setup that started this thread.
- This made two skins; one for each end of the tarp.
I didn't know how tight it would be for my AHE Shangri La tarp, but found that it was very doable to get it in; although very snug in the middle.
Both skins combine for a total weight of 13g/0.5oz. Pics are posted in a reply below.
Last edited by tygr; 04-05-2011 at 22:11.
I'm out... | website
sounds great! pics?
Both skins combined come in at 13g/0.5oz.
Here's the pics.
Showing the 6-inch pocket on each end with the bias tape for the finish hem.
Showing the skins with the tarp stuffed inside; also showing the same 6-inch pocket with the tarp cord stuffed inside. The "mason's line" is 50-feet long so as to allow a single continuous ridgeline around one tree, under the tarp, and then around the other tree.
Showing the tarp stuffed into the skins.
Another angle showing the tarp stuffed into the skins.
It was extremely windy out, and I didn't have any time to set it up fully. Maybe sometime soon. But the purpose of these photos is to show the skins, not the tarp itself.
Last edited by tygr; 04-06-2011 at 00:02.
I'm out... | website
Just made a set using the dimensions on Just Jeff's site for the WB BMJ - 18 X 72" with the diagonal at 5 and 13" (small and wide openings). While 5" is perfecthly fine, I think 4" would be perfect for the small end to avoid creep onto the tarp itself. I have 4-6" of overlap in the center. Because the netting and tarp are so smooth the wide opening did slip apart when I was bundling up the tarp to put it away. Not a huge problem as they stay when just sitting on the tarp strung up awaiting extraction. Have any of you seen the need for elastic or some type of tie to keep the center skins together? Just curious.
Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Layer
Big Mamajamba Sil
20D Black Mamba, 40D Burrow, 20D Phoenix
DIY Whoopies and straps
Ive used bungee with a cord lock inside the tree-side hem of the sleeves to tighten things up...
You could also use the elastic band material from a sewing shop.
After not touching my ancient "thread injector" for decades, this thread inspired me to get it out, remove accreted dirt, lube everything that moves, and make myself a set of snakeskins for my McCat Deluxe tarp. They fit perfectly! The miracle is that the machine still works after all these years. I made it pretty simply, but did put a draw string on one of the large ends so I could cinch it down and the whole thing will stay in place. The dimensions given were perfect for the McCat D. Thinking about a set for the WBBB.......