DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Excellent advice, particularly about restricting blood flow to your feet & your feet getting to warm & sweating, therefore getting your socks damp.
    Those two exsamples are the only reasons I would agree w/ the "less is better".
    More can be good as long as you are watching for those two things.

Also, I have learned that keeping your legs warm play a part in keeping your feet warm.
    Even though your legs may not feel uncomfortably cool, if they are not properly insulated, your warm blood will loose part of it's warmth before reaching the feet.

Also, if your feet have already got cold, your body may have a difficult time re-heating for various reasons, like the ones mentioned above as well as poor circulation. Then you may want to help them out by adding an external heat source, like the chemical heat pads or a hot water bottle.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Another way to keep your feet warm is to simply make sure that you dont hang your foot end of your hammock to high. Other wise it makes it more difficult for blood to pump to your feet makeing them cold. I Learned that the second night of the NJ hang the hard way. MY foot end was way to high up on the tree. I realized it about after laying down for about a half hour and started getting a bad head ach. Lowered the foot end and was much more comfortable but after that my feet never recorvered.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I gave my down booties to Thing1 this past weekend. I slept in 8*F with socks on my feet, inside the footbox of my Frog Sac top quilt, with an insultex quilt doubled over the foot end. I was toasty!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/ID4000

love mine and they take up less space than the REI down booties but they are twice the price. Being REI has the down on clearance atm.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    make sure your feet are warm and dry before putting on your bed socks/booties/whatever
    -Liz -

I'll third, or is it fourth, the loose socks. If I wear "new" socks, my feet get cold. I have a pair of mid-calf smartwool socks that have had their elastic cuffs blown out. They help quite a bit.
    Yellow Jacket

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    a grocery bag in between your sock liner and thick woolies

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    This may seem counter-intuitive, but stay just a little cool. The reasoning behind that, if your feet (or anywhere else) gets too warm, you will sweat, if you sweat you will get wet. You get wet, you get cold.
    Starting out with dry socks will also help.
    Excellent advice! I keep an old stretched-out pair of "expedition weight" smartwools just for sleeping. skivvies & socks -- nothing else on in the bag. Stay dry...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make sure your feet are protected from the wind. My feet and head are usually the only parts that are somewhat exposed to the wind if my tarp isn't blocking it all, and the wind can rob your quilt of its warmth.

Make sure your feet are dry...don't sleep in the socks you've been wearing all day.

Re: the vapor barrier, vegetable bags from the grocery store work well for sleeping in. I use a thin dress sock as a liner, put the VB over that, then a thick sock over the VB. It works.

Was your head warm enough? The old saying goes, "If your feet are cold, put on a hat." When your core temp gets low, your body slows the circulation to your extremities in order to keep your core warm. Sometimes this can happen before you actually "feel" cold...so if your feet are cold and you're not wearing warm enough headgear, start with a hat.

If you still can't get warm, put a hot water bottle at your feet. It's one liter of heaven.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    If you have extra water and fuel, you can do the boiling water in a nalgene trick. Stick it inside a sock, and it keeps feet (or other parts) warm for several hours.

I'm dying to try the down bootie though. (That didn't sound quite right...)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast