Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    1,859
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I didn't realize you have to have a ridgeline to hold the netting up. I just thought you had something at each end to hold it up, not something that runs the full length

    You mean like this. It's a Claytor Jungle Hammock.

    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=39&c=11

  2. #22
    Senior Member Just Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    8,012
    Images
    32
    Tarp ridgelines are completely independent from hammock ridgelines. You can have one, both or neither. I usually have a hammock ridgeline and never have a tarp ridgeline.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

    - My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

    IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

  3. #23
    Senior Member SuperTroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Huntsville AL
    Posts
    115
    Images
    6
    Hey, I post here too ya Know!

    I use TWO ridgelines, because my hammock tarp is also used as a shelter under which I cook and chill......

    by using a ridgeline with a 10 X 10 nylon tarp, corner to corner...I can leave the hammock in the snakeskins until it's time to crash, and be out of the rain under the tarp to cook or hang with friends...when it's time to crash just slide the snakeskins back and throw in the pad and bag........

    with the tarp independent of the hammock, it's possible to pack just the hammock body into the snakeskins, keeping it dry. The tarp then provides a dry place to breakfast and pack up in the rain....on those days, the tarp is last to be packed, and is tied to the outside of the pack where it is available for use during stops, and immediate setup at days end.....

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTroll View Post
    Hey, I post here too ya Know!

    I use TWO ridgelines, because my hammock tarp is also used as a shelter under which I cook and chill......

    by using a ridgeline with a 10 X 10 nylon tarp, corner to corner...I can leave the hammock in the snakeskins until it's time to crash, and be out of the rain under the tarp to cook or hang with friends...when it's time to crash just slide the snakeskins back and throw in the pad and bag........

    with the tarp independent of the hammock, it's possible to pack just the hammock body into the snakeskins, keeping it dry. The tarp then provides a dry place to breakfast and pack up in the rain....on those days, the tarp is last to be packed, and is tied to the outside of the pack where it is available for use during stops, and immediate setup at days end.....
    I use the McCat and do not need a ridge line under the tarp. If you tie to the corners, then pull the corner tie outs to the trees you may be able to get by without a ridge line. One of the things brought up on WB is that a ridge line on the tarp would damage the nylon of the tarp. Have you seen any of this?

  5. #25
    Senior Member Ewker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Old Hickory, Tn
    Hammock
    Henry Shires Tarp Tent
    Tarp
    with a tent?
    Insulation
    Helium down bag
    Posts
    4,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    You mean like this. It's a Claytor Jungle Hammock.

    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=39&c=11

    yes Like that

  6. #26
    Senior Member headchange4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Posts
    6,267
    Images
    35
    I normally keep a 32oz narrow-mouth Nalgene bottle inside my HH with me. I simply hang it from the loop that connects the lid to the bottle by opening the bottle, putting the loop around the ridge line, and then screwing the cap back on. I can then slide it back and forth to get it out of my way.

    I have thought about cutting a small slit in the netting right where it joins the hammock, near my head, and then hanging my water bladder on the outside of the hammock and then running the drinking tube inside the hammock. I would probably sew some velco on the hole so that I could close it up when not in use. Instant hammock hydration port!

  7. #27
    Senior Member SuperTroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Huntsville AL
    Posts
    115
    Images
    6
    Hammock Engineer...No damage in over two years of use (Moderate)...keep in mind that the ridgeline will alternate corner to corner (Draw an X in a box), so wear is spread out over the tarp...

    I have noticed absolutely NO wear on the tarp, and it has withstood windy and upon occasion Tornadic wind speeds...

    As for hydration, I use a piece of paracord with a mini biner cliped to it...the cord is looped around the neck of whatever, Nalgene or commercial plastic 20 Oz water bottle, and is clipped to the netting ridgeline....when not needed the bottle is pushed back behind my head, where it hangs against the sleeping pad until i drag it down to use it...
    Last edited by SuperTroll; 10-26-2006 at 18:41. Reason: spelling

  8. #28
    So how do you grab the tube with no arms?

    Just kidding. Thanks for the idea, that's probably the setup that I'll use. I'll just have to remember to close the valve so I don't wake up looking like I just wet my pants!

  9. #29
    Certain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Posts
    349
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I normally keep a 32oz narrow-mouth Nalgene bottle inside my HH with me. I simply hang it from the loop that connects the lid to the bottle by opening the bottle, putting the loop around the ridge line, and then screwing the cap back on. I can then slide it back and forth to get it out of my way.

    I have thought about cutting a small slit in the netting right where it joins the hammock, near my head, and then hanging my water bladder on the outside of the hammock and then running the drinking tube inside the hammock. I would probably sew some velco on the hole so that I could close it up when not in use. Instant hammock hydration port!
    When I was out on my last overnighter, I had a similar idea, only I thought about sewing in a permanent "access port" into the hammock. Something like the expandable rubber grommets used in the firewall of your car to feed wires from under the hood into the passenger area.

    You can feed your hydration tube through the port, but not have to worry about it being an access point for skeeters and gnats if you don't have your tube pulled through, because it closes up and seals. Oh, I didn't come up w/these dimensions by the way, it was just the pic I found.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is my signature.

  10. #30
    Senior Member headchange4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Posts
    6,267
    Images
    35
    Michele,

    That's a great idea. You would have to make sure the grommet is large enough for the bite valve to pass through.

    Another method you could use would be to have overlapping folds of fabric, like the way a pack's hydration port is made.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •