HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by piponss View Post
    (this answer perplexes me) wich answere
    Well...the fact that "if the parents come they cant go.." That statement does not sit right with me. (To my friends - If my parents find out I am having a party we can not bring beer.) The reason that children can not enter into contracts before the age of 18 is because they do not control their risk assessment well. This is why when children get into car accidents they call their parents or flee the scene. Command decisions are tough at that age.

Hiking can sometimes involve a command decision, such as the guy who had to cut his arm off with a swiss army knife when he fell into a canyon and got stuck. Speaking from someone who broke her foot 7 miles from no where, no cell connection, and a 35 lb pack, accidents happen.
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

the reason that we cannot go with our parents is because his folks are working, my dad is in geneva, and my mom doesn't want to go...so it's the only way. But we are going to do some weekend trips on trails we have dayhiked many times in AZ first. Next year we'll do a trip like this.

Hammock
    Hennessy explorer/Mod4
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rankinesoccer View Post
    the reason that we cannot go with our parents is because his folks are working, my dad is in geneva, and my mom doesn't want to go...so it's the only way. But we are going to do some weekend trips on trails we have dayhiked many times in AZ first. Next year we'll do a trip like this.
    Well, that makes a bit more sense, however, I still believe you need to bring someone over the age of 18 with you in the case of emergency. Crap happens in the woods, and anything that brings a Ranger rescue will bring heat to you and your family if there is no adult. Even the girl that tried to sail around the world needed to be rescued and now her family is under scrutiny. It can happen. Find a buddy over 18 to help with the command decison to go with.
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Fully Enclosed
    Insulation
    DIY PeaPod
    Suspension
    ENO Pro Slap Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzybears View Post
    ...I still believe you need to bring someone over the age of 18 with you in the case of emergency. Crap happens in the woods, and anything that brings a Ranger rescue will bring heat to you and your family if there is no adult. Even the girl that tried to sail around the world needed to be rescued and now her family is under scrutiny. It can happen. Find a buddy over 18 to help with the command decison to go with.
    B.S. This issue comes down to one thing only: experience. Things happen in the woods? Things happen on the street, in the backyard, at the park, at school, etc., too. The difference is access to resources (internal & external). Both resources and their access exist based on experience. I spent nine years as law enforcement in Alaska, and some time before that as Search & Rescue, and before that as Civil Air Patrol youth cadet. I grew up backcountry exploring in interior and northern Alaska with my father, and I was an experienced survivor by the time I was 15 and starting my solo hikes across the Alaska and Brooks Ranges. Would an 18 year old have made things safer just because s/he was 18? Does an 18 year old make better decisions than a 17 year old? Depends, doesn't it. On experience.

So, teenage campers, are you well-seasoned in the type of expedition you want to do? If you had to ask whether or not your parent's should go, you probably aren't ready for a week in the rainforest. BUT, don't give up on the expedition, start acquiring that experience now! You've got some time, so: tart doing 1 day overnights on your own in established areas with cell phone access. Work out the kinks and find solutions to the problems you had on your short trips. Read a bunch of books. Test your skills. Go with groups and adults who can show you new tricks of the trade. Backcountry exploring is So Much Fun, so get to it (safely, and in good time).

-Bobby

A Side Note: When I travel for camping trips to areas I don't know well or haven't been before, I try to make a contact/friend near that place that I can call on for advice, local knowledge, and help on occasion.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzybears View Post
    The reason that children can not enter into contracts before the age of 18 is because they do not control their risk assessment well. This is why when children get into car accidents they call their parents or flee the scene. Command decisions are tough at that age.
    Depending on the maturity of the child, they may be able to assess risk fairly well. Not all children (in your example children old enough to drive) would leave the scene of a car accident, though I hope they would call their parents in that case, who would certainly want them to call. I would, anyway.

Command decisions can be tough at any age, and the ability to make them largely depends upon circumstances and preparedness level, and, as SilverbackBob says, "experience".

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Depending on the maturity of the child, they may be able to assess risk fairly well. Not all children (in your example children old enough to drive) would leave the scene of a car accident, though I hope they would call their parents in that case, who would certainly want them to call. I would, anyway.

Command decisions can be tough at any age, and the ability to make them largely depends upon circumstances and preparedness level, and, as SilverbackBob says, "experience".
    The legalities of the matter are that children under 18 cannot legally do some things that people over 18 can. If the parents say they can go, and arrange transportation, kids can do pretty much whatever, with or without supervision. The parents will still bear the brunt of whatever legal fallout there might be from the kids' actions, including paying fines, because they are legally responsible for the kid until she/he is over 18. If in the process of going on a trip like this the kids have to sign some sort of contract or run into a situation where a legal guardian needs to do something to facilitate transportation or take some step on their behalf, they're going to have difficulty. Will the jurisdiction give a wilderness permit to underage kids? Can they get a fire permit if they need one?

Kids over 12 CAN request medical services for themselves in California. Whether they can pay for it is another matter, but that would probably go back to the parents in the end... Other states may have different rules about this.

Some research into the local law at the destination regarding these matters would be good....