Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis

Pinhoti Recommendations Needed!

Trip report to follow......

I'm planning on my first Pinhoti Trail hike weekend after this coming!

Will have one or two buddies along and we'd like to do 3 days / 2 nights, about 10-15(max) days; maybe less on the last day since we have to drive back to FL.

I would like your recommendations in Alabama with good water sources (I guess that's probably not a problem about now). Should we shuttle? Is Cheaha (sp?) a possibility?

Thanks folks!

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    If You will pm me a phone number I'd be glad to chat with you about your hike. (I thrud in 2007 and am always doing sections over there and am currently working on a new map project for the pinhoti)
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Have you decided on a route yet? If not, see the thread about the hang planned for the end of FEB----lots of great info! The Pinhoti is my favorite trail----it has alot to offer! Heres my suggestions for a 3 day trip: hike the pinhoti/chinnabee / skyway loop-----you can park at adams gap, or turnipseed and hike either direction. There should be water at the pinhoti/chinnabee trail intersection, and pretty much anywhere along the chinnibee trail. (the driest section will problably be between the skyway /pinhoti junction, and the pinhoti/chinnabee junction. ) For a different loop you can park at the Cheah state park trail head, and hike the cave creek trail ---look at the map, you can make a loop using the pinhoti and the odim trail. There is always water at cave creek, and a couple of other small streams on the odim trail, and of course at the pinhoti/chinnabee junction. There is no water from the pinhoti chinnabee junction to the cheah parking lot---as you hike on the Pinhoti (but its some of the prettiest country Ive ever seen---especially Mcdill point---excellent overlooks, big camping areas, and a there is a small plane wreck laying on the side of the Mtn. ---very cool, even if you do have to carry your water in! Also, there is a really nasty boulder field between the pinhoti /chinnabee junction and mcdill point---its about a half mile of shifting rocks--Anyway, good luck and have a great trip! --oh yeah, check out the website ---pinhoti trail alliance, lots of great info!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Hey Funny Money, haven't heard from you in a while. There's a group hiking a 3 day (16-17 mile) loop that same weekend. I'm planning on joining them. Southmark is the organizer. Why don't you join in with us. We're meeting on that Friday and starting at 1 PM from Turnipseed Parking lot which is just south of Cheaha State Park. If interested we'll get you more details. Here's the link: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13832.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    For a mellow hike with some GREAT views, try this route. Start at Porter's Gap. Head north 13.9 miles (with a serious grunt up the Stairway to Heaven along the way) tp a large campsite near double springs. Day 2, head 14.9 miles along a VERY scenic ridge walk as you approach Cheaha State Park.

You could shorten the day by gathering plenty of water from the intersection at Little Caney Head campsite (7.6 miles into the day), then dry camping at any of the many excellent sites along the ridge.

In any event, cross AL281 and continue on up the PT, rather than walking the road straight into the park. Head to the gorgeous spring just before Blue Mountain Shelter then either camp at or visit the shelter. Then .2 miles north of the shelter, take a left on the Bald Rock Trail for .5 miles to perhaps the nicest view near the whole trail at Bald Rock.

From there, take the .3-mile boardwalk back south to the main area of Cheaha State Park.

Along the way, be sure to visit the state high point at the old observation tower.

The whole trip would be about 31 miles, 28.8 on the PT, .5 on Bald Rock Trail, and 1.5-2 miles of road walk inside Cheaha SP. You could stage your vehicle next to the camp store at the Park entrance and grab a park map to help you navigate the major points of interest and have a short day on your last day.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Thanks everyone! Great pics and details, by the way! We'll decide on a specific route - I'll report back!

• + New Posts