Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing

Newb in Georgia

Hi All,

I’m a recent forum member, and am still deciding upon the equipment I plan to purchase.

I camped with a group of friends a couple of years ago and saw a hammock setup for the first time. I was dubious at first, but after talking to the owner and doing a bit or research the idea made a lot of sense. This is quite a change in thinking for someone who owns and uses both a 12x16 2-room tent for family outings and a two-person mini dome for personal trips.

I recently confirmed the dates of a trip with friends in April and began mentally making a list of all the stuff that needs to be pulled out of winter storage for the trip. We’ve done winter camping in the past, but since our youngest came along those types of trips don’t happen any more. She just doesn’t “camp” well and is a total opposite of her older sister. Maybe in a few years – we’ll see.

Anyway, I remembered my friend’s hammock setup and began to realize that he didn’t need to deal with all of the “stuff” that is necessary to get even my mini dome set up, and his whole kit packed up into a mighty small stuff sack. He also was able to set up a break down in no time. Can’t do that with a dome, rainfly, dropcloth, etc.

After a good bit of reading I’m beginning to realize that hammock camping isn’t as simple as I had first thought, but it’s not rocket science either. I’m also learning that this method of camping can absorb as much or more of my spending money as any of my other hobbies. Geocaching – there’s always a better GPS, daypack, container, etc. Straight razors and wet shaving – there’s always another custom blade, scales, soap, travel kit, etc. I’ve given up on having a hobby that doesn’t have a way of making my cash disappear. This one seems no different – top quilts, under quilts, tarps, suspension systems, etc.

I believe I’ve decided upon getting a Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB?), but I’m still researching. After realizing that I still need to get under quilt, top quilt and tarp I’m realizing that although it’s going to be more convenient, and it sounds like I’ll sleep better, there’s no way that I’ll be able to get outfitted without spending at least as much as what our family tent cost. Not complaining, just getting my head around the numbers. My handle pretty much sums up my finances.

I realize I can go the budget route, but I don’t want to spend money on something only to replace it shortly thereafter because it didn’t do the job well. We mostly car camp, so bulk isn’t an issue. Therefore, I can use a cheap tarp for cover, and can get by with a top quilt and under quilt that are man-made rather than down-filled ones. I plan on starting with a good hammock and working my way out. If I’m lucky I’ll be able to order a hammock and test it before heading out in April. If not, I’ll have more time to save for a more complete kit. I’ve camped enough to know to NOT go to the field with untested equipment.

So much for a brief introduction.

I appreciate all of the advice, hints, tips, trick and such that are shared on this forum. I still have a LOT to learn, but I look forward to soon be sleeping above the ground instead of on it.

Regards,

- Mark (S-4-C)

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Learning to make your own gear (aka sewing) will greatly reduce the impact on your finances; esp if you can borrow a sewing machine for the learning curve- moms, aunts and such are a great resource for this sort of thing.
    KM

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    If you are of a mind to solve that TQ & Uq problem do not miss the JRB BOGO sale, ends this weekend... It will easily save you 125-150 bucks.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    strapped, welcome to the forum. we are neighbors. i own a top loader, peapod (1st gen) a winter yeti, 8x10 tarp. if you would like to see it shoot me a pm here.
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. If you get a double layer Blackbird you can use a couple of ccf pads under you for an UQ and ccf pads are cheap. You can use your sleeping bag for a TQ. Use the $$ you save and get a good tarp. There are cheaper ways to do things.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Welcome to forum, Strapped!!

I too am in GA.
    Just off of 575 and Bells Ferry.

We go up to amicalola falls state park and pass on through to the Chattahoochie national forest.... plenty of trees there to choose from and its all FREE because we are in a national forest..... LOL

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A Whoooo Buddy Welcome to ya' from a fan of that Georgia clay and BBQ! Well .. and boiled peanuts and peaches. And bluegrass music rolling from the hills.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    with all these new ga hangers, we need to plan a hanger gathering here in georgia.
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WBBB - dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    MCat D & SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti-3, CCF
    Suspension
    Straps 'n DClips
    Images
    Welcome S-4-C.
    I live in Cumming and work in Grayson. I have a WBBB and a Yeti-3 if you'd like to look at them first. Lemme know.

Peanuts ~ I think you're right!

okay.... with all these GA folks, we need to start something in the trips forum and plan a hang somewhere.....

Just a thought- not looking for any commitments yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast