Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I live in Lawrenceville and work in Alpharetta. It's *so* fun to have a 16 mile commute that typically takes an hour or so to drive.

I'm joining in a campout in the Tallulah River campground in April. Possibly Tate Branch or Sandy Bottom - not sure which. I'd like to have a complete rig by that time, but I doubt that'll happen. I'll be able to afford the hammock, but to be able to hang on that outing I'll need to make a DIY UQ and TQ. Still, I could make do with a poly tarp since it would be basically car camping and no real hiking involved.

Time will tell. I want to make it happen, but gotta make sure I have time to not only get my hands on the equipment but also test it out beforehand.

Glad to see that there's some nearby people that can advise me and feed the obsession. I hope to meet some or all of you soon.

Mark (S-4-C)

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Glad to have you aboard Strapped. Welcome to the insanity. There's lots of good info here.
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

Hammock
    Warbonet Traveler
    Tarp
    Golite 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQ "Lost River"
    Suspension
    Warbonet Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BaseKampChef View Post
    Welcome to forum, Strapped!!

I too am in GA.
    Just off of 575 and Bells Ferry.
    Wow, Me too! We're neighbors, Suburban Dr off of Bells Ferry. I didn't realize we had so man ATL hangers. We've got to get a hang going. I'm an assistant organizer for this meetup : http://backpackers.meetup.com/126/

Maybe I'll post a trip. I've been wanting to do some stealth camping at Panther Creek Falls in the Cohuttas for a while. Tearbritches trail is also one of my favorites.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    hey strapped welcome to the forums. a wally world poly tarp works fine, they really aren't that heavy either. since yu are just car camping, take along the same sleeping bag yu normally use and put a pad underneath you. I have three kids of my own, so I know what you mean about finances. depending on the weather conditions, there are all kinds of things you can use for warmth. Don't be afraid to experiment. People will think yu have lost your mind, but you'll get used to it. bottom line don't think you have to drop a lot of money to start hanging, it can be done for less than you think.

p.s. You [B]will[B] love the blackbird.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    Wow, Me too! We're neighbors, Suburban Dr off of Bells Ferry. I didn't realize we had so man ATL hangers. We've got to get a hang going. I'm an assistant organizer for this meetup : http://backpackers.meetup.com/126/

Maybe I'll post a trip. I've been wanting to do some stealth camping at Panther Creek Falls in the Cohuttas for a while. Tearbritches trail is also one of my favorites.
    It's been quite a while since I've carried a backpack, though it's tempting to pick it back up again. I've noticed that most packs are internal frames now. Mine's an old Peak One external resin-frame. It's old, but it meets my needs. Family obligations and lack of time prevent me from going on most trips now, so the pack has just been placed in storage. Most of my trail time now is devoted to dayhikes while hunting geocaches.

- Mark (S-4-C)

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images

I R here in Kennesaw too.

Welcome to the forums.

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums, S 4 C. If I remember correctly, one can put ccf between the layers of a two layer WBBB. That will reduce the cash outlay by 1 to 2 hundred dollars. One can then upgrade easily when the new tennies for the children have been purchased, etc. I have utilized a ccf pad in my HH safari, and my DD hamock, with it working much better in the DD hammock, because of the double layer. Hope this helps

John

Hammock
    Warbonet Traveler
    Tarp
    Golite 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQ "Lost River"
    Suspension
    Warbonet Straps
    Images

Strapped for Cash

Hey Straps,
    My brother and I have been using a car windshield reflector for a couple of years now. I got mine for 5-bucs. I also use a ccf pad. The reflector shield is cheap,light and it works well except for some condensation build up on really cold mornings.
    I have plans to upgrade to a UQ this spring, but just saying you can still do it on the cheap. Yes poly tarps are the Motts, cheap and very water resistant. I even know of a couple of guys to bring them on backpacking trips.

Also, don't be afraid of used stuff. Most people on this forum have lots of extra gear. Just post on the wanted to buy section what your looking for.

Hammock
    Warbonet Traveler
    Tarp
    Golite 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQ "Lost River"
    Suspension
    Warbonet Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekul View Post
    I R here in Kennesaw too.

Welcome to the forums.
    Man, we've got enough ATL hangers for a watermelon crawl! Let's get together. We could do a campground or a backpacking trip.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Also, don't be afraid of used stuff. Most people on this forum have lots of extra gear. Just post on the wanted to buy section what your looking for.
    Never afraid of used stuff. I've learned to watch the member sales threads on other forums and have always managed to get good deals, from a used but fine GPS to a 100+ year-old straight razor that still provides a fantastic shave every time it's used. Member sales within forums tend to have better quality equipment at better prices than can be found on ebay or other sites. Also, most people selling stuff have a reputation to uphold, so it's extremely uncommon for someone to sell something that is not as advertised, and is usually better than what is noted.

I've already been lurking in the sales threads to get an idea of what's being sold and for what prices. Still need to save for a while, but I'm seeing good stuff for good prices.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast