Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ridgeline snapped

Hi

I've had my HH expedition for about three years, used it probably twenty/twenty five times. I weigh about 83 kg ( 180 lbs? ) so well within design limits for the HH exped. Put it up as usual yesterday, nice and taut, climbed in, ridgeline snapped. A split second waiting for my bum to make contact with the concrete below, but of course I didn't drop down very far. Spent the night with a sloppy mozzie net over my face, but otherwise no ill effects.

So, the question(s) is: Why should this happen? Has this happened to anyone else? Does it happen often? Is the ridgeline necessary structurally( I know it's a useful clothesline, makes the HH easier to set up, holds up mozzie net etc )? What strength cord should I use to replace the snapped item? Is it possible to access the attachment points for the ridgeline in order to replace it, or am I obliged to attach a new cord to the remains of the original ridgeline?

I would ask HH for a new hammock but for a three year old model I don't imagine it's going to work...

Images
    I haven't heard of that happening before. You could repair it with by adding a new ridgeline cord. Give hh a call or email. What could it hurt. Let us know what you find out.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    Hi

I've had my HH expedition for about three years, used it probably twenty/twenty five times. I weigh about 83 kg ( 180 lbs? ) so well within design limits for the HH exped. Put it up as usual yesterday, nice and taut, climbed in, ridgeline snapped. A split second waiting for my bum to make contact with the concrete below, but of course I didn't drop down very far. Spent the night with a sloppy mozzie net over my face, but otherwise no ill effects.

Is it possible to access the attachment points for the ridgeline in order to replace it, or am I obliged to attach a new cord to the remains of the original ridgeline?
    Some of us have cracked the HH knot cover for a look-see; at least two guys have made HH clones. I have a picture of the knot, I think there are others in the gallery but aren't sure whose they are or how to find them.

I undid the knot in the course of swapping in a ring-buckle system, and tied in a new one . The black cord you see photos is the ridgeline. There is a loop at each end, the loop is large enough so that the beginning of the loop is on the inside of the hammock, and the body of the loop passes through the folds. On the outside the loop is passed through the suspension cord, at the top of the wrapping knot.

If you are lucky, you can use the piece of ridgeline that passes through the folds to pull the end of a new ridgeline through.

Just understand the HH knot (some wraps, tied off with a bowline), and you're good to go, once you've got a new ridgeline made.

I'll leave it to others to comment on the type of cord you might use.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Second everytign Grizz wrote.

You can easily replace the ridge line yourself. You could also call or email Hennessy to see what they offer.

If you decide to do it yourself, it is very easy once you get over the hesitation of working on an expensive piece of equipment.

The socks over the end of the hammock are simply secured with one of those plastic ties used to secure electrical cable, usually called a zip tie or something similar. Use a pair of diagonal cutters to cut the ties securing the socks on both ends of the hammock. The socks come right off. You will see the ends current ridge line coming out the top end of the hammock and then tied to the suspension rope. Simply loosen the suspension rope, you don't even really need to untie the knot, simply push the excess rope towards the ends of the broken ridge line. Once you have the suspension loose, but not untied, untie the ridge line ends and tie to the cord you are using for a replacement. and then grab the ends inside the hammock and pull the replacement through. Tie the new ridge line where the old ridge line was. On the other end of the hammock you will have to tie the new ridge line cord to the old cord inside the hammock and pull through from the inside to the end. Then tie the new.

Takes longer to describe and understand than to simply do it.

After you have the new ridge line installed, simply slide the socks back in place and secure with new zip ties.

I would recommend a cord with a raeing of at least 250 lbs to 300 lbs minimum.

I have started using the BPL dyneema guy line cord for all of my ridge lines. I have found it to work well.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I'm using this stuff for my ridgeline on my first homemade hammock. At $1.68 plus shipping for 12' and a rating of around 1200lbs, it's a pretty good deal:

http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/new...id=AMRAMSTL764
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-08-2007 at 18:11.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    It couldn't hurt to ask Tom at HH about getting it repaired. They have good customer service...(At least I have been happy with it when ordering my hammock and asking several questions after my purchase)

C

Images
    I would say repair it yourself, only because who wants to wait or such a simple repair. I am sure HH will hook you up. Tom is really cool, but I think it would be a waste of your time and his time. It is real easy to fix oneself.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Some people cut the ridge line on the HH on purpose to be able to have a removable ridge line. I bet you could just tie some knots on each end of the break and use a biner to reconnect the ridge line. You wouldn't even have to mess with trying to rewhip the ridge line.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

The ridgeline on my DIY hammock snapped just yesterday.

Does anyone know what strength cord HH uses. I'm thinking of upgrading to 2.8mm Spyderwire.

Thanks for the replies. I think i'm going to use this as an opportunity to replace the ridgeline with a carabiner-mounted version, clipped into the loops that are left from the original ridgeline, and maybe fit a bigger gearloft. I'll also be sending an email to HH to see if they have any ideas why it snapped.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast