Warbonnet Blackbird, DIY hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Stormcrow's quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thread Injector/tex-30...HELP

I have a new Janome Threadbanger 12. It works fine with standard thread but with Tex 30(6000 yard cone) it bunches up on the bottom of the fabric. Upon research of the forums, it would appear the tension is off. I have tried every tension setting with the same results. I put the standard thread back and it worked fine. I am using a 90-14 needle. I rewound the bobbin and ran the spool thread correctly yet the machine continues to bunch up on the bottom (which would indicate tension prob)....any Ideas?
    I prefer to LEVITATE between two trees...The Groundlings can have their tents.

Images
    What size is the "standard thread"? A 90-14 sounds big to me for Tex-30. Try a smaller needle. Do you have any adjustment for bottom tension on your machine?

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Stormcrow's quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The standard thread is the walmart polyester thread. My machine has only one tension control knob which is top tension. The manual doesnt list anything on bottom tension. Ed Speer recommends 80-12 or 90-14 needles for tex 30. I will pick up some 80-12 tomorrow and see if that works.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Does your system work well with a standard spool of polyester thread? (I recommend Merlita Metrosone because the other top-of-the-line choice is not available locally.)

I found that the thread on the big cones is extremely uneven. Watch it closely as you load a bobbin and you can see the "lumps" passing by. I only use the big cone for test purposes now. I've done a fair amount of DIY and it seems I always had problems with the thread on the cones. There may be a trick to make these work, but I gave up on them long ago....

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    When I first got my grandmother's machine, I had trouble with the top tension (snaggles on the bottom, skipped stitches, etc.) Turns out the thread wasn't getting between the tension plates completely.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Does your bobbin case look like this? If so have you adjusted the small screw?
    Make sure its clean, especially under the tension spring. For me, the bobbin case (I don't know its real name, but thats what I call it) is first checked for cleanliness. Then make sure its threaded properly thru the very small slot or overlap in the case. If my bobbin tension is set right for the thread I'm using at that particular time, it just barely holds its own weight. Pull a few inches out and suspend bobbin and case from this thread. But just barely, if you wiggle it around it should drop a wee bit, but stop on its own.
    Make small, (very, very small) adjustments on the small screw until its holding properly. I just use my fingernail to turn the screw.
    Then set your top tension at the midpoint (if your machine adjusts between 1 and 6 set it at 3) that will give you a good start point.
    Run a few test on some extra scrap material. Try to get your top and bottom stitches to look even.
    Make sure everthing is clean, one tiny speck of fuzz can mess everything up
    did I mention clean?
    Last edited by gargoyle; 02-19-2010 at 06:13.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Stormcrow's quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am beginning to think its the thread itself. It does have clumps when I wind the bobbin. Its American and elfrid, I may have misspelled that, and thought the quality would be better. Guess I will go with higher quality thread next time.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    also, on the bobbin case (yes, the right term, G!) if you loosen the screw to let the spring lift up noticably, it is also adviseable to 'floss' under the spring- it removes any clump of fibers that might have wedged in up under the front corner where the spring closes, but the thread rarely runs. ( I found a big clump last time I changed the tension there; just a friendly word of advice..) KM

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    What size is the "standard thread"? A 90-14 sounds big to me for Tex-30. Try a smaller needle. Do you have any adjustment for bottom tension on your machine?
    The bobbin tension is not an issue in this case. I know I sound like a broken record but unless the bobbin tension has been messed up previously there is almost no reason it needs to be adjusted. That's why the tension adjustment on the spool thread is so easy to use. I would expect the problem is with the thread itself. I am not familiar with the designation of that thread, but if the machine works with typical home machine thread then I would say the thread you are using is not compatible with the machine for one reason or another.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts