WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    hey heavy G, I am 6'1" and around 370, the blackbird is a pleasure to sleep in. I have used the Kalisto hammocks also, but they were a little narrow for me. The traveller form warbonnet would also be a good choice( my next hammock ), but only if bugs aren't an issue. As far as your sleeping bag, you should have something under you for insulation. When I started out I just used my bag. it wrked fine, but it became compressed really fast and developed cold spots after only a few hangs. A cheap walmart pad will work, I used a windshield reflector before I got my under quilt. have fun and welcome to the forum.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I'm one more vote for the Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double layer I'm a big guy 6' nearly 300lbs. and it is very comfy. I just took advantage of the Jacks-R-Better Valentines day sale and switched over from a pad to quilts. That said if, I had a sleeping bag worth carrying I probably would have stuck with that and a pad. They can work fine. But since I have no plans on ever returning to the ground I went with the quilts.

If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten a large tarp to start with. You can always pitch a large tarp for more ventilation but you can't pitch a small tarp to be weather tight. Put your money into a tarp and hammock first and use what you have on hand (ie. your pads and sleeping bags). Then save up for your insulation. It's a harder choice anyways that requires more research and you may get lucky and find that a bag and a pad is perfect for you. Believe me you'll be spending more on this habit, I mean hobby , than you first thought possible!

I ended up ordering the blackbird 1.7 double layer. Thanks for all the input, it made making the decision much easier. Brandon from Warbonnet was real helpful too. Thanks! Can't wait to "hang out".

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post

If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten a large tarp to start with. You can always pitch a large tarp for more ventilation but you can't pitch a small tarp to be weather tight.

wise words.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    you will love the blackbird. congrats
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12