ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images

2Q and ZQ Sewn-On Doors!

Hey everyone..

2Q and ZQ were kind enough to let me be the first to try their new sewn-on doors modification service for the MacCat Deluxe and MacCat Ultra tarps. So, I happily sent them my MacCat Ultra to measure and work with. As we've all come to expect from Tim and Donna, what I received back is nothing short of superb!

First, they started with a well-considered door panel size, such that the door pairs not only match the tarp perfectly, but form a generous vestibule when staked out. Then, they finished each door by binding the entire perimeter edge securely with grosgrain, and added a reinforced corner guy-out panel and webbing loop. Next, each door is handily bound to the inside edge of the tarp with grosgrain with the same great sewing details that ZQ amazes us with... Finally, they added an elastic cord loop with barrel-toggle for rolling up and securing the doors when not in use. All added up, it creates a VERY secure door with 'factory' fit and finish that can be deployed or stowed at will.

I have now had the pleasure to use this tarp on two multi-day hikes and I couldn't be happier with it. It has stood up not only to driven wind and rain, but also to the icy wind and snowy conditions at Mt Rogers...all with perfect ease.

If you would like to 'storm-proof' your existing MacCat...the answer is here!

“I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That looks great on function and quality. I am curious how you / they determined what size the doors would be. Did you pick a pitch angle or distance or ...?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    All the design considerations were by 2Q and ZQ. I'm sure 2Q will chime in later.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Very nice indeed! They currently have my hammock. Looks like I have another piece of gear that I will have to ship to them. Any idea on how much weight the mod added?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Also, do you notice any wind noise when the doors are rolled up and secured? Curious is the doors being bundled up are secure enough to keep them from flapping a bit, creating noise.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I don't have a pre-mod weight for that tarp. I will weigh it this afternoon, though.

No noticeable noise when the doors are stowed. In fact, I routinely leave one of the doors (on the leeward end, of course) stowed overnight. No issues at all.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Very nice looking mod. I might consider that mod for my MacCat Deluxe. Don't need it really now but it would be cool. After getting my Superfly I am really liking doors. I don't see the mod listed on the 2Q/ZQ site yet. Would be interested to know how much the mod costs.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    I like it. OK 2Q hurry up and production this so you can have more of my money =P

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    That looks like an awesome MOD, very nice work 2Q and ZQ
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    That really looks good! Kudos to The Qs!

Sorry if I am letting folks know your secrets, AS... but IIRC, you said that MacCat Ultra was stowed away for the future, when your black MacCat wears out.

I think I would swap them. Put the black Cat on the shelf and use the Ultra... at least in the winter.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast