Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Neat Sheet

  1. #11
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    we don't hate you man... if i had a wife that wasn't sold on hammocks, i'd probably be sleeping in a tent too

    since the NS is claimed to be more breathable than tyvek, i'll be interested to see if there's any condensation problems.

    just like all the wind shirts available now, most of them probably do a pretty good job of blocking the wind, but there's a trade off between breathability & water resistance.
    some people want more of one than the other.

    seems like the neat sheet may be a pretty good balance of water resistance & breathability. ...tim
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  2. #12
    New Member terceiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I have had no "pilling" effect whatsoever. I have taken mine to the beach several times, camping a few times (as a ground cover), used a picnic blanket,
    You've inspired me to do a little test. I'm taking a couple of kids out for their first backpacking this weekend, and so, depending on the fear-quotient at night, I may be sleeping as a Degraded Beast rather than Enlightened Man. I think I'll bring a Neat Sheet as a groundsheet (rather than the Dopey Blue Tarp(tm) I was planning to use). It's lighter, quieter than the Dopey Blue Tarp(tm), and I imaging less like sleeping in the bed of a truck on the way to the dump.

    If the kids are OK with me sleeping slightly away from them, I'll try it as a quick-and-dirty taco-wrap and report back.

    Since I've never really considered the NS as more than just a picnic item, I'm excited at the chance to discover a new (to me, at least) use of it.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

  3. #13
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by terceiro View Post
    You've inspired me to do a little test. I'm taking a couple of kids out for their first backpacking this weekend, and so, depending on the fear-quotient at night, I may be sleeping as a Degraded Beast rather than Enlightened Man. I think I'll bring a Neat Sheet as a groundsheet (rather than the Dopey Blue Tarp(tm) I was planning to use). It's lighter, quieter than the Dopey Blue Tarp(tm), and I imaging less like sleeping in the bed of a truck on the way to the dump.

    If the kids are OK with me sleeping slightly away from them, I'll try it as a quick-and-dirty taco-wrap and report back.

    Since I've never really considered the NS as more than just a picnic item, I'm excited at the chance to discover a new (to me, at least) use of it.
    if you get a chance to try it, let us know what you think, particularly if it causes you to feel clammy or damp.
    i may get a chance to try one for a night this week end too.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  4. #14
    Senior Member T-BACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    337
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    if you get a chance to try it, let us know what you think, particularly if it causes you to feel clammy or damp.
    i may get a chance to try one for a night this week end too.
    I've used one since they first came out as a sheet. I ripped out all the "quilted" seams and use a single layer and , yes, this took quite a while. I find the fabric very comfortable. Kimberly Clark makes, among many other things, surgical drapes. The NS reminds me of some of the sterile drapes we use in surgery at work only more breathable. I've noticed no pilling of the fabric or any real wear on the one I have used. I've found that it's also nice to use insde a quilt as an extra layer on my chest with the rest bundled around my neck to seal out drafts. Once I had a dripping leak in my tarp and I used it over my ridgeline to channel the water to the ground. It is highly water resistant. I've also used it as a ground cloth before and I find that it sheds ground debris pretty easily. Having said that, I'm switching to a silk liner that I will convert to a quilt style covering for my thru-hike. this is mainly because of the packablity of silk compared to the NS. I think the NS is a great and durable product and for the price (about half as much as my silk liner), IMHO I don't think it can be beat by anything currently on the market.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

  5. #15
    New Member terceiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by terceiro View Post
    If the kids are OK with me sleeping slightly away from them, I'll try it as a quick-and-dirty taco-wrap and report back.
    Whoops. I went to get the Neat Sheet and my lovely wife informed me that she'd tossed them out a few months ago (something to do with a diaper explosion. Sounded like a good rationale to me) and my attempts at a few stores met with mostly blank stares and "sales associates" treating me like I was asking if they carried any English Crown Jewels in the store. Really, is it so difficult to say, "I'm sorry, sir, I'm not familiar with anything like that. Would you like me to look it up on the computer?"

    Anyway, I guess I don't need to complain how box stores are the death of customer service. Sorry.

    I tried Target, WalMart, Walgreens, and CVS (lots of errands today). I see they are in stock at drugstore.com, but not amazon, and either way they won't arrive before Friday afternoon. So my test is off (unless there's a secret stash in central Ohio that someone knows about) until they return to store shelves next spring.

    That is, presuming that the employees are bright enough to actually put them on the shelves. Sheesh.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

  6. #16
    Senior Member headchange4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Posts
    6,267
    Images
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by terceiro View Post

    I tried Target, WalMart, Walgreens, and CVS (lots of errands today). I see they are in stock at drugstore.com, but not amazon, and either way they won't arrive before Friday afternoon. So my test is off (unless there's a secret stash in central Ohio that someone knows about) until they return to store shelves next spring.

    That is, presuming that the employees are bright enough to actually put them on the shelves. Sheesh.
    I bought my first NS at Rite Aid in the pool/summer section. The NS may be a seasonal item. You can always get a good deal on a combo pack on Ebay.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett



    Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

  7. #17
    Hooch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling/Strap
    Posts
    4,380
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I bought my first NS at Rite Aid in the pool/summer section. The NS may be a seasonal item. You can always get a good deal on a combo pack on Ebay.
    If anyone is going to the SEHHA hangout in a couple weeks, I know a source in Hot Springs that has a few Neat Sheets.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

  8. #18
    New Member terceiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    34
    Well, this is embarrassing. You remember how I said I couldn't find one, and that my wife said she threw them out? Well, I guess that was only half true. She did throw one out, the other one I found.

    It was in the trunk of my car. Oops. Heh.

    It already has at least one rip in it and one of the weights was ripped out by my kids. I removed the others; it now weighs in at 10.25 oz. I need to work out the best way to attach it and then I'll give it a shot. Might be a couple of days, tho.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •