Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58

Thread: Fire vs Hammock

  1. #41
    Senior Member Tedinski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Suburbs outside the Stix
    Hammock
    I have two HH's, 1 Scout, 1 ExpAsym
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    Trees! :)
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    It means that the smiley by itself didn't have enough characters.
    Good! I thought perhaps you were counting to ten for patience, since I was sitting on a source of Nomex the whole time!! (I'd never have thought of it!)

  2. #42
    Senior Member SmokeHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Hammock
    WB bb 1.1, Many 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY sil & Multicam
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    1,188
    Images
    49
    I have the small TI stove which works very well, starts fast and after you have a bed of coals, load it up with 1 to 1.5 dia. wood and it last about 2 hours with the damper shut down. Also great to cook on. Turk has the large TI stove. Im going to take it to the Ozark Hang March 12-14.

    Here are a few links to look at:

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13588

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ls&videoid=177

    When I bought the fiberglass cloth from Beckelcanvas, I asked how it would hold up and they said my pipe would melt before it hurt the cloth. I bought a 3x5 sheet for around $32. A few years ago.
    http://www.beckelcanvas.com/products...products_id=27

  3. #43
    Senior Member Tedinski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Suburbs outside the Stix
    Hammock
    I have two HH's, 1 Scout, 1 ExpAsym
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    Trees! :)
    Posts
    194
    beckelcanvas! Cool!

    How much does it weigh? I notice that it doesn't have the heavy silicone ring molded into the middle... that has to be the heaviest part of most fireproof panels.

    Your link was to a pre-made panel with hole in the center. I didn't see pricing for just the fabric, or a weight for the pre-made panel or the fabric itself. Can you approximate it's weight/yd? I'm betting I can beat it, but only at the cost of LOTS of labor.

    Have you ever tried using larger sticks than 2"? I'm interested in knowing how long it'll burn, with the largest thickness logs possible....


    Thx!

  4. #44
    Senior Member SmokeHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Hammock
    WB bb 1.1, Many 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY sil & Multicam
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    1,188
    Images
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedinski View Post
    beckelcanvas! Cool!

    How much does it weigh? I notice that it doesn't have the heavy silicone ring molded into the middle... that has to be the heaviest part of most fireproof panels.

    Your link was to a pre-made panel with hole in the center. I didn't see pricing for just the fabric, or a weight for the pre-made panel or the fabric itself. Can you approximate it's weight/yd? I'm betting I can beat it, but only at the cost of LOTS of labor.

    Have you ever tried using larger sticks than 2"? I'm interested in knowing how long it'll burn, with the largest thickness logs possible....


    Thx!
    I had bought a 3x5 sheet and cut a 13x13 cloth for my smokehouse. The cloth weight is about 0.3 oz. You do not need the silicone ring. You will need to call them for the pricing. I paid $32. for a yard. They will cut and make whatever you want. The small TI stove has a input hole of 3. Its hard to fill the box with 2 wood, but 1.5 with 1 works great. The heat is good for 2hrs but will actual last longer with damper closed.

  5. #45
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    5,982
    I bought this tent
    http://www.beckelcanvas.com/products...?products_id=1
    from Beckel. Good people.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  6. #46
    G...Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Glendale, NY/ NYC
    Hammock
    WBBB.coyote WBBB.olive
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Posts
    609
    oldgringo, thanks for the story.

  7. #47
    Senior Member SmokeHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Hammock
    WB bb 1.1, Many 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY sil & Multicam
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    1,188
    Images
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I bought this tent
    http://www.beckelcanvas.com/products...?products_id=1
    from Beckel. Good people.
    That looks like a awesome car camping hammock tent with a stove jack...

  8. #48
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    5,982
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeHouse View Post
    That looks like a awesome car camping hammock tent with a stove jack...
    I can get a hammock in there, but the fiddle factor is huge...I need a couple more feet.

    I'm thinking about making one out of Tyvek that will be ~11 feet long. With a stove jack.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  9. #49
    Senior Member DocBurN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Posts
    304
    nice read guys, thanks for the advice.. im more into wilderness survival than hikeing and i am used to just a army metal cup fitting my water bottle and sitting the cup on rocks in the fire.. that is my "stove".. all your stove seem like luxury compare to what i am used to.. will definatly consider every option if i decided to make a "deluxe" expedition in the wild

  10. #50
    Senior Member Tedinski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Suburbs outside the Stix
    Hammock
    I have two HH's, 1 Scout, 1 ExpAsym
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    Trees! :)
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBurN View Post
    nice read guys, thanks for the advice.. im more into wilderness survival than hikeing and i am used to just a army metal cup fitting my water bottle and sitting the cup on rocks in the fire.. that is my "stove".. all your stove seem like luxury compare to what i am used to.. will definatly consider every option if i decided to make a "deluxe" expedition in the wild
    Heya Doc!

    My background is in WS as well. I USED to go out with essentially nothing. It's good to build up those skills -- they never go away.

    These days, a bit more comfort is called for Otherwise, I'm stiff as a board for the next week Thank goodness for things like cars & motorcycles.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •