Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Private
    Posts
    397
    Images
    1

    Smile Hello From Eureka California - The Redwoods - Humboldt County!

    Hey All,

    I am (obviously) new here at HF.

    Just getting into hammock camping... and hoping to not have to spend my entire years allowance just to get started

    I live in Eureka California, which is sort of the hub of the Redwoods forest. I have been blessed to have travelled throughout most of the USA (lower 48) and I always seem to end up back here in the Redwoods, simply because I have yet to find a place as beautiful as this place is.

    I am 36 years old, 6'1 in height, and 250-260 lbs. - not overweight (by much) just a big-boy... which has always caused me to have to buy "extras" or "longs" - sigh. Nothing like having to spend an extra $50 or $100 bucks just to get a 4-inch longer sleeping bag - oye.

    One of the main issues I expect to face with hammocks here is the *massive* amount of rain we receive. It is hardly ever cold here... rarely gets below 40 even in the winter... and it never gets above 75 in the summer... it is typically between 50 and 65 year'round... but the rain here is constant. And, it likes to be windy too, so I'm expecting to have to deal with horizontal rain issues.

    At this point I am looking at getting the following gear:

    Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer 1.7oz (olive green)

    Either the "Warbonnet Superfly w/doors" or the "MacCat Deluxe" with some beaks (maybe the "2Q/ZQ Grizz Beak" ??)

    Seriously considering getting an Arrowhead Equipment "Bear Burrito Oven" too.

    For the few cold days a year I am thinking about getting the "theperfecttrees - The Incubator" - but not sure about that... haven't found any other full-length underquilts.

    One of the things I haven't figured out is where you all get your spider tubes at... I think I'd like one but cannot seem to find where you guys score those from.

    I have not really decided on what suspension types I'll use yet... still have to put out the bucks to buy all of that stuff and start playing around with things. I also have not decided on an upperquilt nor padding. I am also not sure if I want to go mico stoves or just go with something like a jetboil which I already have. Additionally, I'm going to have to change backpacks as the one I have now is not decided to carry all these individual items that are tubular in nature. So, going to have to do some reasearch for that too.

    Anyway, I have been lurking the forums for a couple months, decided it was time to join in and throw a welcome message out to everybody.


    If there is anybody else out there in the Humboldt region... would love to get hooked up with you sometime so I can get a jump-start on all of this without having to learn it the hard way!!

  2. #2
    gargoyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middleville, Mi
    Hammock
    G-Bird II
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    AHE TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoop dutch!
    Posts
    6,091
    Images
    46
    Welcome.
    Sounds like good choices so far, all good stuff. spider tubes?? you got me on that one? please clarify.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

  3. #3
    Member Lynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    WB Yeti 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    78
    Images
    36
    As a fellow Californian (at least for a few more months, i'm moving at the end of the summer) I bid you welcome

    to respond to some of your questions:

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post

    Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer 1.7oz (olive green)
    An excellent choice! I don't think you will regret the money you spend on this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    Either the "Warbonnet Superfly w/doors" or the "MacCat Deluxe" with some beaks (maybe the "2Q/ZQ Grizz Beak" ??)
    No advice to offer here. Either one would do fine, I think. Given the temperatures you are looking at, I would detach the doors/beaks until you need them so that you can get a little extra ventilation

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post

    Seriously considering getting an Arrowhead Equipment "Bear Burrito Oven" too.
    I don't think you need one. The tarp will keep you more than dry (especially once you get used to pitching it before hanging you hammock), and in the temps you will hang in it's just not necessary for extra warmth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post

    For the few cold days a year I am thinking about getting the "theperfecttrees - The Incubator" - but not sure about that... haven't found any other full-length underquilts.
    There are too many options on the market today to list here, but I would strongly encourage you to look into a partial UQ such as a Yeti (or its synthetic equivalent). Partial UQs are cheaper, lighter, pack smaller, and are really sufficient for the temps you mention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    I also have not decided on an upperquilt nor padding.
    As long as you have a decent sleeping bag, I would not worry about a top quilt right now. Just use your sleeping bag (you can even unzip it part way and use it like a quilt) and spend the money you save getting a really good UQ. That way, you should not need a pad. If you do need extra insulation, the cheapest option is a walmart blue CCF pad. I nicer option would be something like the thinlight pads sold by Gossamer Gear.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    Additionally, I'm going to have to change backpacks as the one I have now is not decided to carry all these individual items that are tubular in nature. So, going to have to do some reasearch for that too.
    Not sure what you mean by this. All of the things you need can be repacked into any shape or form you desire (no more tentpoles to worry about!), so they should fit your current pack just fine!

    Have fun shopping around!!

    lynx
    Fiat Luchs

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Private
    Posts
    397
    Images
    1
    Hey guys,

    First, thanks for the welcomes!!

    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Welcome.
    Sounds like good choices so far, all good stuff. spider tubes?? you got me on that one? please clarify.
    Yeah, sorry... I meant "snake skins"... guess the huge spider I saw in my bathroom a couple days ago was still on my mind. by huge... i mean freaking huge!! Darn near went bailing out of my shower when I spotted that sucker. Not that spiders scare me... but that sucker... it was... well... unnaturally huge



    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    I don't think you need one. The tarp will keep you more than dry (especially once you get used to pitching it before hanging you hammock), and in the temps you will hang in it's just not necessary for extra warmth.
    Sweet, thanks for the tip! Noobie here trying to plan ahead... probably getting too far ahead of myself at times.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    There are too many options on the market today to list here, but I would strongly encourage you to look into a partial UQ such as a Yeti (or its synthetic equivalent). Partial UQs are cheaper, lighter, pack smaller, and are really sufficient for the temps you mention.
    My problem is my feet have serious cold-weather issues. Got first degree frostbite a few years back (a cold weather expedition) that will not go away, and now my feet are always cold. Even sitting here in my warm house I have two layers of socks on ... and one of them is a 40-below pair - sigh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    As long as you have a decent sleeping bag, I would not worry about a top quilt right now. Just use your sleeping bag (you can even unzip it part way and use it like a quilt)
    That is something I was wondering about. I know I've read a couple of guys talking about that is what they do... just was not sure about drafts and such. Having never actually spent the night in a hammock yet, I guess I just have to chauk this up to not having any experience yet. Nice of you to share your thoughts on this matter... money is tight for all of us, and a few hundred bucks is a few hundred bucks, eh!

    Thanks for all the comments lynx!

    So, where are you moving too... New Mexico?? (wild guess... as that is where I'd like to move, and where most folks moving from California seem to be going).

    John

  5. #5
    HappyCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WV
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, 1.1 single
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Posts
    3,523
    Images
    47
    You've done a lot of good homework and have gotten some great advice above. My only comment is that you are a perfect candidate for down booties for hammock and home.
    I intend to live forever, or die trying. -- Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Elkhart County, Indiana
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Posts
    1,195
    Images
    1
    The extended family camps for a week at Patrick's Point every year. Beautiful country. Welcome to the forum.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Private
    Posts
    397
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    You've done a lot of good homework and have gotten some great advice above. My only comment is that you are a perfect candidate for down booties for hammock and home.
    Hey HappyCamper,

    Yeah, those were on my lists too... but I didn't feel like including them in the list, as everything else was specifically related to the hammock (well, other than the backpack). But yeah, those are seriously going to be on my list... and near the top!

    Quote Originally Posted by TroutEhCuss View Post
    The extended family camps for a week at Patrick's Point every year. Beautiful country. Welcome to the forum.
    Sweet, Patricks point is a nice common place to go. There are a few other places with less people, nicer scenery, and lots more trees to hang from... so, next time you guys are planning a trip, drop me a note!! But none the less, patricks point IS an awesome place to stay at! I get there a couple times a year and hike around a specific area (South of the Wedding rock). So, do you encounter many people giving you a weird look for having a hammock setup? In 15 years of living up here and getting out and about, I've never seen a SINGLE hammock setup anywhere up here. Hoping I can start to change that

    John

  8. #8
    WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    3,689
    Images
    204
    Welcome to the forum. You've gotten a lot of good advice so far. Look at Stormcrow's full length UQ as a possibility. You've got me wondering - what kind of tree huggers do we use when hanging from redwoods?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Private
    Posts
    397
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Welcome to the forum. You've gotten a lot of good advice so far. Look at Stormcrow's full length UQ as a possibility. You've got me wondering - what kind of tree huggers do we use when hanging from redwoods?
    lol, I myself have been wondering how many feet of rope/webbing I'm going to have to take

    We got this one tree up here that is 62.5 feet in circumference

    That would make for one hell of a big whoopie sling, eh!!

    Well, anyway, thanks for the welcome mate! I was looking at one of the UQ by the guy you mentioned... guess everybody is saying I won't need to go full length though, but instead maybe a 3/4 length. One of those things I guess I just have to trust all of you on as I'm getting start with all of this.

  10. #10
    Scottybdiving's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spicewood, TX
    Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Posts
    736
    Welcome Redwood guy. I was in Arcata for a friend's wedding a few years back. He is Curtis of Curtis and David winery but he is not a hammocker. I was there in August, drove over from Redding. It was 98 whwn we left Redding and we were wearing shorts and t-shirts. Arrived at the winery for pre-wedding party and everyone was wearing wool. He doesn't have to refrigerate his winery in the summer.

    Beautiful area. I loved Trinidad and that state park on the coast there, I can't remember the name.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •