Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Lightbulb Warbonnet Winter system experience

Idea to this thread is to post experiences (=slept cold nights) with Warbonnet hammock, Winter yeti, Winter Black mamba.

I have noticed that there is always people asking about questions like "how cold I can sleep with system X". If we collect enough data about Warbonnets winter system used in different conditions then we will at some point know how good the system is.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

-15 degrees C (5 F), No wind

Clothing (office clothing + cap): Normal trousers, normal shirt, normal socks and wery thin head gear (hip-hop? style acrylic cap)

Pad: 3/4 length Therma rest Guide lite (max thicknes 2,5 cm), used only half full to keep pad more flexible. Used under foot area and inside the hammock. Because of the wery thin cap I used normal polyester pillow under my head to keep head area warm. Winter yeti was used as deluxe (with vapor barrier).

Tarp: High and no doors

Weather: During night -15 degrees C (5 F), no wind, very little icy snow at some point. Morning temperature -11 degrees C (12.2 F).

Experience: Not very warm, not very cold. Nose and mouth area Were moist because breathing gets stuck between face and Winter MAMBA (it goes straight up from ones neck and is little too close ones face, pillow was also one factor in this problem by tilting my head too much). Little tired at the morning but much better than after comparable night in tent. No condensation problems, no condensation under me or over me.
    Last edited by voivalin; 03-06-2010 at 12:44.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    11 degrees at night, very, very windy.

cold (more on the cool side) but never shivering but did wake up every 3 hours.

What was used:

Superfly with the doors pitched low
    1.7 Single Black bird
    Winter Yeti
    Winter Mamba
    Gossamer Gear 1/4" thinlight pad

Clothing:

Smartwool Medium base layers (top & bottom)
    Craghoppers Kiwi fleece lined trousers
    wigwam heavy weight wool socks
    fleece jacket
    Montbell down inner parka
    balaclava (underarmour)
    Fleece hat

For the record the winter yeti wasn't flush against the hammock all night had to re-adjust so that had a lot to do with skewing my results.

Did a 35 degree night in the snow storm and I was toasty!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey!
    I have had my WYeti ... over-stuffed ... to -5º.
    0º WB Black Mambo TQ .... GG 1/4 pad doubled under feet.
    Usual sleep wear .... head covered well.
    90% of the time I sleep just fine .... always wake up not as warm at around 4:30/5:00AM a wee cooler. I normally always then put on my next layer of clothing ... then I am set for the morning and "Breakfast from the Hammock".

Keys to a good warm night ...... eat a really good meal, sleep in less clothing and add as I go.
    **Adding my weathershield REALLY boosts over-all warmth!!!!!!
    JRB down sleeves over feet in two pair SW socks.......
    Balaclava covering mouth and nose to reduce condensation on TQ.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have several night in the Blackbird but only one two-night trip in the Winter Yeti...that was the 1st Colorado Winter Hang.

One night at 0F:
    - Blackbird
    - Winter Yeti
    - Gossamer Gear torso pad under my legs
    - JRB MWUQ4 as top quilt
    - JRB Hood
    - JRB 10x11 cat tarp with ends folded in like doors
    - I wore a lot of clothes - thick socks, merino/poly pants, thermawrap pants, snowpants, REI swimtrunks, Nike Coolmax t-shirt, merino/poly longsleeve shirt, REI Generator down jacket.
    - I was warm enough that I had condensation freeze in the eggcrate of the pad after I got up. All night, I didn't feel toasty but definitely warm enough to sleep. One thing bugged me - there wasn't enough overlap between the pad and Yeti, so I had a thin stripe across my thighs that kept getting chilled. There was probably 1-2" of overlap, which I thought would have been adequate but wasn't at that temp. The next night I used an REI inflatable torso pad that was bigger, and that solved the problem.

Next night at 10F:
    - Blackbird
    - Winter Yeti w/ reflective liner
    - REI inflatable torso pad under my legs
    - JRB MWUQ4 as top quilt
    - JRB Hood
    - JRB 10x11 cat tarp with ends folded in like doors
    - Same clothes as before but w/o the snow pants - thick socks, merino/poly pants, thermawrap pants, REI swimtrunks, Nike Coolmax t-shirt, merino/poly longsleeve shirt, REI Generator down jacket.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    yeti goes straight up from ones neck and is little too close ones face, pillow was also one factor in this problem).
    do you mean the mamba (tq)?

try might using the neck tie if you weren't. it will make the quilt more efficient and keep it away from your face more than it you don't use it.

it is a thick quilt, so if it's covering your neck, it's also going to be really close to your mouth.

Images
    let me start by saying i'm an extremely cold sleeper.

CO winter hang: 0 deg fri, 10 deg sat. was toasty both nights

i used the winter yeti with a 1/8" of ccf mini-cell pad between the layers of the BB. and the winter mamba. 5/8" ccf leg pad(overkill on thickness there)

i slept in a fleece top and pants and 2 wool hats and also wore the ccf insert boot liners from my snowboots (which kept my feet toasty)

this was the first time i've been 100% warm at either of those temps, i've never been able to take an underquilt anywhere near what others seem to be able to do. this confirmed for me that only an 1/8" of ccf (or possibly even less) is enough of a supplement to more than make up for the difference in being a cold sleeper.

other tips cold sleepers can use:

boot liners, down booties, jrb sleeves on the feet

extra warm sleeping headwear; 2 hats or a down hood, possible balaclava...

sleep in a thick fleece top, this is good for a little more bottom insulation since fleece doesn't compress too much.

throw your jacket over your torso (inside the tq)

hot water bottle between the thighs.

secure the tq/sleeping bag securely around your neck to stop all venting, there's alot of heat in your neck/upper torso area that can quickly be lost if the head end of the tq doesn't get sealed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    sleep in a thick fleece top, this is good for a little more bottom insulation since fleece doesn't compress too much.

throw your jacket over your torso (inside the tq)

hot water bottle between the thighs.

secure the tq/sleeping bag securely around your neck to stop all venting, there's alot of heat in your neck/upper torso area that can quickly be lost if the head end of the tq doesn't get sealed.
    Amen to that, Brother! Especially that last one.

At least when I am on my back, it seems things work really good when I put a vest or jacket on backwards, with my arms through the sleeves and lacket back to my front, it really seems to maximize loft and help get a good seal around my neck, along with the cinch cord(or whatever) of the quilt.

• + New Posts